GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bring Back Dominic Diamond!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 11:48
Regular
Well... maybe not Dominic Diamond, but at least bring back that classic Computer-based TV show "GamesMaster".

When GamesMaster started out it was quite a ground breaking show. It included reviews, previews, gaming challenges, celebrity appearences and even cheats. (Most of which i seem to remember were ALWAYS for Zelda!)
Nowadays there are no mainstream shows which offer the same thing.

I believe that if a terrestrial channel bought back a similar show it would be a massive hit. I can just imagine it... It would contain all of the latest reviews and most exclusive previews. These could actually turn out to be more accurate and up-to-date that magazine reviews and previews because the tv show would be on weekly whilst most computer magazines are released on a monthly basis.

Next up you would have the obligatory pop group in for some multiplayer action. Perhaps 'Blue' would fight it out on Halo? Better still, the show could host a huge 16 player Halo mass-tournament, which could take place between then Man Utd squad. The only obvious problems here is that Beckham might not want to risk breaking a nail and Roy keane may struggle to keep the violence on the screen! The possibilities are endless.

The show would also, as it used to, give us some much needed hints and tips for our favourite games. After all, its much easier to show you how to get that secret area on Tony Hawk 3 on a tv screen rather than from still shots in a magazine.

There are so many other fantastic gaming challenges which could be undertaken with todays next-generation games, such as completing missions on GTA3, multiplayer races on Jet Set Radio Future, games of 'tag' on Tony Hawk 3 or even the classic soccer challenges on games like Pro-Evolution Soccer.

Okay, so i can see why the show originally got axed. After a certain point it all got a bit weird. The presenter changer and for some reason the show was set in heaven. (What was that all about!?) But if the show came back, albeit with a better set, i'm confident it could be a hit. The show used to be on at 6 or 6.30. I'm sure Channel 4 or BBC2 or even SkyOne could screen a games show. These channels cant say theres no room for it... BBC2 show Simpsons ALL the time, (I love the show but they seem to play the same episodes over and over) C4 play Hollyoaks or repeated Friends episodes and SkyOne screen Stargate SG-1 or Star Trek Voyager!

So i say BRING BACK GAMESMASTER!

Which leaves just one issue; who would be the presenter of the show? My vote would have to lie with the main man: Craig Charles!

What do you lot think? Would you all like to see a modern, gamesmaster-type show... and who would be a good presenter?

Thanks for reading.
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:18
Regular
I think this must be the only thing I envy the English for, they don't have to put up with Dominik Diamond.

For your information, Dominik is currently the host of a Scottish quiz show, similar format to Question of Sport but all about Scottish stuff. It's called Caledonian McBrains, and he's god awful.

He also appears on Monday Night Live every now and again, but we'll gladly export him to England if needs must.
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:15
"Darkness, always"
damn, tags not working. you swine, how did you do it then eh??
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:14
"Darkness, always"
cookie monster wrote:
>Dominic Diamond is a twat

don't sit on the fence, say what you're really thinking...
Fri 26/04/02 at 15:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hmmmm....Gamesmaster was actually not that great, i think a lot of folks are looking through rose tinted specs when they talk about the show. Dominic Diamond is a t**t, if such a show were to make a comeback Iain Lee would be a far more suitable candidate.
Fri 26/04/02 at 12:55
Regular
"cant think of one.."
illzen wrote:
> Its true, we all deserve more games programmes on the telly-box. Both
> Gamesmaster and Thumb Bandits were a bit annoying, but at least there
> was something. And frankly, the time is right for a Pro Evo tournament
> between certain Man U players with broken feet... they could broadcast
> it on the Man United TV channel!

I was talking about a show that would appeal to the masses... who buys the Man U channel anyway. Certainly not me, i'm quite content watching my boys grab the double! (COME ON YOU ARSENAL)
Fri 26/04/02 at 11:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
"Stupid boy!"
Fri 26/04/02 at 09:01
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
In the words of the Diamond geezer himself, bringing back Gamesmaster would be a 'nigh-on-impossible task'

The reason? Gamesmaster was put out when gaming was a geeky teenage thing to do - hence the scantily clad nubile birds in ludicrous outfits. And hence Dominik leching all over them.

These days, all those geeks have grown up into the 20-something gamers that are the target market now. While we pretend we're no longer geeky, secretly, we are. So we wouldn't watch Gamesmaster on principle.

Some days, my logic astounds even me.
Fri 26/04/02 at 08:25
GamesMaster ruled, and yes, Dominic Diamond was cool, even though the bald head made him look...erm...(what's the opposite of hard? Not soft ;D). Anyway, I remember the competitions they had, where they gave away a golden controller to every winner - that rocked! I remember watching it as an adolescent teenager, and yes, it was one of my favourite shows. Where is Dominic Diamond these days anyway?
Fri 26/04/02 at 06:42
Regular
I agree with you 100% apart from the Gary Charles bit.

:)
Fri 26/04/02 at 00:51
Regular
"95% organic"
I used to hang with 'Paddy' Moore back in the day, and I promise, he's no GamesMaster, I used to thrash him at 'Downhill Skiing'(on my Amstrad)... and these days, well, lets just say that monocle doesn't do his Tony Hawks skills any favours.
I am thus willing to sacrifice my torso, and be implanted into the GamesMaster machinery to serve the world in the next series... I may not be utterly utterly insane or the epitome of senility, but I can do a posh voice rather well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.