GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Try before you buy"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/04/02 at 10:01
Regular
I was thinking that despite having a subscription to OPS2M magazine, so far not one demo has made me buy a game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the demos haven't been good, but the games I have bought I have wanted anyway. I haven't come across a demo that has made me change my mind from being indifferent about a game, to wanting to buy it. Basically, there hasn't been any surprises.

Has anyone played a demo on OPS2M that has changed your mind about buying a game, in a positive way? From that viewpoint, are the demos doing their job?
Sat 27/04/02 at 12:03
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
I think I will complete it in around 2 weeks. I think :) but I'll probably play it again and again just for the blitzball game. :)
Sat 27/04/02 at 11:59
Regular
yeh another 30 days to wait until we get this game, it will take ages to complete
Sat 27/04/02 at 11:52
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
I know how you feel KR, its still another month and a bit untill we get our little mits on the 8th wonder of the world FF. :)
Sat 27/04/02 at 11:50
Regular
I have a game that changed my mind about buying it after playing the demo from OPS2.

I wasnt interested in Final Fantasy X at all, i had heard of it many of times but never really took an interest. Then i played teh demo and i love this game. may 31st here we come
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:26
devo wrote:
> so far not one demo has made me buy a game.

- same here! In fact several demos have had the opposite effect. i.e Half Life & Ecco - didn't light my fire!

Perhaps half the trouble stems from the fact that the demos come out after most of the mags have already previewed/reviewed the games - this may mean that: a. you're already struck by the game, or b. due to the hype, you're hugely disappointed!
If a demo included half a dozen games which these mags haven't had their mits on, some of us could be pleasantly surprised by a game or two!!
Wed 24/04/02 at 18:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I wasn't too sure about getting Dynasty warriors 2 when I first saw reviews for, it just didn't appeal to me. Then I got a demo of the game and couldn't stop playing it, so I went out and bought the game the following weekend.

Its now become one of the most addictive games I own, and I'd probably not have it if it hadn't been for trying the demo out first.
Wed 24/04/02 at 18:22
Is that a gun in your big pockets? Or are you just trying to get yourself banned?
Wed 24/04/02 at 16:17
Regular
"Bobba you"
i was gonna buy destany warriors 3 but after i played the demo i changed my mind i donnt under stand the game it's weird.
Wed 24/04/02 at 10:14
I know exactly what you mean. I was never particularly a FPS fan, so Unreal Tournament on the PC didn't appeal. I played that demo for longer than some full priced PS2 games! And of course, I bought the full game...
Wed 24/04/02 at 10:10
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Demos have long been a bug bear with me - dont the publishers realise that the idea of providing a demo is to make us want to buy the game.

Most of the demos are time limited affairs where you just about get to see a small part of one level, one track and then they fade away before you really get to see what's what.

The majority of demos tend to confirm that you dont want to buy the game rather than that you do because they go to prove to you that in the limited time given, it is not up to what you are looking for.

The only demo that I have ever played that made me get the game was Duke Nuken 3D on PC about 5 years ago. The demo included a network option with the first Hollywood Holocaust level, we tried it on the PC's we had at work then which were P166's and it worked perfectly, we bought a copy of the game and still play it most lunchtimes even now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.