GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameCube mag advice"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/04/02 at 09:36
Regular
Now I've got my GC on pre order, and being new to Nintendo, I want to pick a mag to help with my buying decisions. So I picked up CUBE and NGC, and having read both of them, I can't say I'm entirely impressed. They fall well short of the 'drier' / more serious games mags like OPSM and PC Gamer. And don't come close to mags like PSM2 which is probably more their level. Are there any others on the shelf? Or is it just been a bad month?
Wed 24/04/02 at 09:36
Now I've got my GC on pre order, and being new to Nintendo, I want to pick a mag to help with my buying decisions. So I picked up CUBE and NGC, and having read both of them, I can't say I'm entirely impressed. They fall well short of the 'drier' / more serious games mags like OPSM and PC Gamer. And don't come close to mags like PSM2 which is probably more their level. Are there any others on the shelf? Or is it just been a bad month?
Wed 24/04/02 at 09:37
Sorry, that should be OPS2M. OPSM is a comic these days...
Wed 24/04/02 at 09:56
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I read ONM and NGC. NGC being the better of the two. Well I read them, but normally read them ages after I get them cos I'm subscribed and they get sent home. So while at uni I don't read em for ages!

:)
Wed 24/04/02 at 15:52
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
I agree, NGC and ONM are the best, CUBE is alright but not really any different !
Wed 24/04/02 at 16:09
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I think NGC's a fntastic magazine and a lot better than OPS2M.
The OPS2M had irritble font ize and style, and makes it incredibly unattractive and boring to read. Whereas NGC looks great and is INTERESTING to read.
I also think that OPS2M's style of writing is too complex in the way they are too precise and use words that I may not understand. NGC, however, only rarely use a word that I haven' encountered, and they keep things flowing and keep you interested in the game at hand.

But that's just my opinion.
:-)
Wed 24/04/02 at 17:45
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
NGC is by far the best followed by Cube
Wed 24/04/02 at 17:48
Regular
OPSM2 is a flaming book!

There's too much text and it's not that interesting to read.

NOM's still 'easy to read' though they've updated their image a bit, which is good, so I will read it.

NGC however is still the best magazine for the GameCube I've read so far. It's full of humour, as well as good old serious news, and is a pleasure to read.
Wed 24/04/02 at 17:52
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
NGC is probably the best, especially for reviews. Cube's good for news but isn't as good as NGC in many aspects. If you've seen the new NOM you'll be quite impressed. It's a huge improvment of the old NOM (they got rid of most of the old staff) but still doesn't beat NGC. If you can't decide just subscribe to NGC and CUBE as the money you save with subscribing for them both will cover the extra you pay for a second mag eack month.
Wed 24/04/02 at 17:54
I picked up NOM today. Must have sold out in WHSmiths when I looked the other day. I shall take a read....

I admit I like OPS2M more for the articles than the reviews. Getting some developer background info is kind of interesting. For a nerd like me ;-). PSM2 is the mag for reviews. They tell it like it is, and very rarely get it wrong. I didn't NGC too much. It was a bit like one of the second rate PS2 mags that clog up the shelves. Too many pics, and not much info really.
Wed 24/04/02 at 17:56
That should be 'I didn't *like* NGC too much'. In case anyone thought the missing phrase was 'eat', 'cr@p on', or 'have sex with'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.