GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I am old, decrepit, and own a PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/04/02 at 10:31
Regular
Yes old timers, it's what you've been waiting for.... Oh hang on.... IT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR ....

it's the PS2 thread for people who really should know better, people who have (or should have) kids, a mortgage, and slowing reflexes. People who tasted the pure joy of a Spangle. Yes it's the PS2 30+ forum. That's age not IQ, by the way.

Right I know that includes Wookiee, nh and myself. Anyone else?

The aim of this thread? Er, discussing and cussing your experiences as an 'old' PS2 owner. Are we discriminated against? Or are we the subject of positive discrimination? Or do you feel you're being treated exactly the same as you were 5 years (or even 10 years) ago? How do you feel about being an 'older' gamer? According to a recent survey (which I'm taking with a large pinch of salt), apparently the 25-35 age bracket is the dominant demographic in gaming at the moment. If that is true, I'm sure it's just that there is more disposable income in that group for multiple platforms, and a considerable software library. Plus presumably parents with small kids will also play on the console. And maybe those with large kids as well (hey, I'm not weightist).

One experience I had recently was that I was staying at my mother in law's (no, this isn't going to be a pre political correctness joke), while my wife was finishing off her dissertation. I was keeping myself occupied on the PS2, and my mother in law showed some disbelief that I was 'wasting my time' on playing games. Then she saw Tony Hawk's 3, and was astounded by what she saw. OK, she didn't suddenly become an overnight games player, but she had a lot of questions about how the game would have been put together, particularly the animation and graphics. I don't know if she thought everyone was still playing Pac Man or something, but she really had no idea that games are reaching a mature state, in presentation at least. Also with her making part of her living out of being an artist, I think she felt she had really dropped the ball, and was out of touch with what technology can bring to the artistic process. Since then she's been a lot more open minded, and also started to use computer based art packages. It's strange to think that in some small way, the PS2 changed her outlook in life, even without actually using it!

Anyway, that's a starter. If your under 30, let us know what you think of us oldies, and if you think you'll still be gaming into your 30s.
Sat 27/04/02 at 11:14
"For the horde!!!!"
reynolds123 wrote:
> my nana is sixty and she has a ps2 she is pretty good

what games does she like?
Sat 27/04/02 at 10:06
Regular
"simpsons rule"
my nana is sixty and she has a ps2 she is pretty good
Sat 27/04/02 at 09:21
"For the horde!!!!"
> Of course it is - the joypad is welded onto one side and the light gun
> the other side - made a bit of a mess of the plastic mind and its a
> bit hard swinging the whole frame to point the gun, but at least I
> dont drop it anymore !

lol
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:49
Regular
"Aye!"
nh wrote:
> Bluegoblin wrote:
>
> is it possible to use a zimmer frame and play on my PS2 at the same
> time? if so can i have some tips for when i'm old :P
>
> Of course it is - the joypad is welded onto one side and the light gun
> the other side - made a bit of a mess of the plastic mind and its a
> bit hard swinging the whole frame to point the gun, but at least I
> dont drop it anymore !

wow they can do alsorts theses days
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:35
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Bluegoblin wrote:

> is it possible to use a zimmer frame and play on my PS2 at the same
> time? if so can i have some tips for when i'm old :P

Of course it is - the joypad is welded onto one side and the light gun the other side - made a bit of a mess of the plastic mind and its a bit hard swinging the whole frame to point the gun, but at least I dont drop it anymore !
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:29
Regular
"Aye!"
>
> Hey - dont worry, I'm having some new ones put in next week so I'll be
> anble to ditch this old zimmer frame and show these younguns a thing
> or two

is it possible to use a zimmer frame and play on my PS2 at the same time? if so can i have some tips for when i'm old :P
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:26
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
devo wrote:
>
> So that's a sum total of 4 people in the 30+ group so far. We could
> set up a relay team, if it wasn't for the knee problems.

Hey - dont worry, I'm having some new ones put in next week so I'll be anble to ditch this old zimmer frame and show these younguns a thing or two
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:21
B&Q has disappeared again. He forgot the curtain hooks.

So that's a sum total of 4 people in the 30+ group so far. We could set up a relay team, if it wasn't for the knee problems.
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:15
Regular
"Aye!"
devo wrote:
> I think I hear god B&Q approaching, and he's got some curtains
> rails. You're for it now!

challenge god to a game of tekken and shout loser in his ear when you thrase him
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:09
I think I hear god B&Q approaching, and he's got some curtains rails. You're for it now!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.