GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I am old, decrepit, and own a PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/04/02 at 10:31
Regular
Yes old timers, it's what you've been waiting for.... Oh hang on.... IT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR ....

it's the PS2 thread for people who really should know better, people who have (or should have) kids, a mortgage, and slowing reflexes. People who tasted the pure joy of a Spangle. Yes it's the PS2 30+ forum. That's age not IQ, by the way.

Right I know that includes Wookiee, nh and myself. Anyone else?

The aim of this thread? Er, discussing and cussing your experiences as an 'old' PS2 owner. Are we discriminated against? Or are we the subject of positive discrimination? Or do you feel you're being treated exactly the same as you were 5 years (or even 10 years) ago? How do you feel about being an 'older' gamer? According to a recent survey (which I'm taking with a large pinch of salt), apparently the 25-35 age bracket is the dominant demographic in gaming at the moment. If that is true, I'm sure it's just that there is more disposable income in that group for multiple platforms, and a considerable software library. Plus presumably parents with small kids will also play on the console. And maybe those with large kids as well (hey, I'm not weightist).

One experience I had recently was that I was staying at my mother in law's (no, this isn't going to be a pre political correctness joke), while my wife was finishing off her dissertation. I was keeping myself occupied on the PS2, and my mother in law showed some disbelief that I was 'wasting my time' on playing games. Then she saw Tony Hawk's 3, and was astounded by what she saw. OK, she didn't suddenly become an overnight games player, but she had a lot of questions about how the game would have been put together, particularly the animation and graphics. I don't know if she thought everyone was still playing Pac Man or something, but she really had no idea that games are reaching a mature state, in presentation at least. Also with her making part of her living out of being an artist, I think she felt she had really dropped the ball, and was out of touch with what technology can bring to the artistic process. Since then she's been a lot more open minded, and also started to use computer based art packages. It's strange to think that in some small way, the PS2 changed her outlook in life, even without actually using it!

Anyway, that's a starter. If your under 30, let us know what you think of us oldies, and if you think you'll still be gaming into your 30s.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:31
Yes old timers, it's what you've been waiting for.... Oh hang on.... IT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR ....

it's the PS2 thread for people who really should know better, people who have (or should have) kids, a mortgage, and slowing reflexes. People who tasted the pure joy of a Spangle. Yes it's the PS2 30+ forum. That's age not IQ, by the way.

Right I know that includes Wookiee, nh and myself. Anyone else?

The aim of this thread? Er, discussing and cussing your experiences as an 'old' PS2 owner. Are we discriminated against? Or are we the subject of positive discrimination? Or do you feel you're being treated exactly the same as you were 5 years (or even 10 years) ago? How do you feel about being an 'older' gamer? According to a recent survey (which I'm taking with a large pinch of salt), apparently the 25-35 age bracket is the dominant demographic in gaming at the moment. If that is true, I'm sure it's just that there is more disposable income in that group for multiple platforms, and a considerable software library. Plus presumably parents with small kids will also play on the console. And maybe those with large kids as well (hey, I'm not weightist).

One experience I had recently was that I was staying at my mother in law's (no, this isn't going to be a pre political correctness joke), while my wife was finishing off her dissertation. I was keeping myself occupied on the PS2, and my mother in law showed some disbelief that I was 'wasting my time' on playing games. Then she saw Tony Hawk's 3, and was astounded by what she saw. OK, she didn't suddenly become an overnight games player, but she had a lot of questions about how the game would have been put together, particularly the animation and graphics. I don't know if she thought everyone was still playing Pac Man or something, but she really had no idea that games are reaching a mature state, in presentation at least. Also with her making part of her living out of being an artist, I think she felt she had really dropped the ball, and was out of touch with what technology can bring to the artistic process. Since then she's been a lot more open minded, and also started to use computer based art packages. It's strange to think that in some small way, the PS2 changed her outlook in life, even without actually using it!

Anyway, that's a starter. If your under 30, let us know what you think of us oldies, and if you think you'll still be gaming into your 30s.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:40
32 this year and can't see me giving up the PS2.
when your girlfriend buys it for you as a christmas present she can't complain about you playing it all the time.
i certainly have more disposable income than 5, 10 or 15 years ago however, at the moment, am finding a definite lack of interesting titles on which to dispose this income.
underwhelmed by MGS2 and SoE - and still don't know why i bought herdy gerdy. not a fan of sports or driving games.
just waiting for another GTA, more baldurs gate and VF4 or tekken.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:42
"High polygon count"
Physically, I may be 30... but mentally... :-)

I think gaming gives you a perfect balance. For example:

Having played games since I was 8, I am a little short sighted and wear specs. I also cycle to work. Being short-sighted and travelling at speed... not a good combination.

But that's where the balance comes in, you see. I might not see the approaching truck until the last seconds, but at least I have the reflexes to avoid it. :-)

Seriously, though...

I don't feel discriminated against as an 'oldie' who plays games. But then, to feel discriminated against, you really need to give a damn what other people think of you - and I don't!

They can call me geek, nerd, childish or whatever - and they can think I'm immature and should know better - doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm doing something I enjoy, which actually can work out cheaper than many other hobbies and (in my opinion) provide more fun.

I certainy have no plans to stop gaming any time soon, and will probably be playing until I die.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:50
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Oh - a thread just for us wrinklies - marvelous.....

Age is a strange thing and I think you are right that older (Yes people do get older than us !!) people have a perception that video games is still about little blocks moving around the screen making strange squeeking noises.

My dad came round ours one Sunday for lunch and he saw this strange grey box thing sitting under the telly - what's that he asked - that's our playstation I replied, do you want to have a go ? ok then, let's have a look.

So on it went and first I put on F1 (This was the original 96 version !) and he was as gobsmacked as I was when I first powered it up. Then we played Actua Golf which he did quite well at and then came the "Killer App" - yes you guessed it , Bust-A-Move (Again the original one!), we played the thing for ages and when I spoke to him during the week he had gone out and bought himself a PSX with Bust-A-Move, Soul Blade and V-Rally.

He is retired now and when he gets back from his allotment he often goes and has a game on the psx - he hasnt progressed to PS2 yet but hey - there is hope !

So even us 30 something's aint past it.

I have been playing games since I can remember games being around, Yes I played Pong in a Felixstowe seafront arcade when it first came out and have played some great games since and yes I think I will be playing games until I either die or get Arthritis.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:53
Regular
"Aye!"
devo wrote:
> Yes old timers, it's what you've been waiting for.... Oh hang on....
> IT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR ....
>
>
>
> it's the PS2 thread for people who really should know better, people
> who have (or should have) kids, a mortgage, and slowing reflexes.
> People who tasted the pure joy of a Spangle. Yes it's the PS2 30+
> forum. That's age not IQ, by the way.
>
> Right I know that includes Wookiee, nh and myself. Anyone else?
>
> The aim of this thread? Er, discussing and cussing your experiences as
> an 'old' PS2 owner. Are we discriminated against? Or are we the
> subject of positive discrimination? Or do you feel you're being
> treated exactly the same as you were 5 years (or even 10 years) ago?
> How do you feel about being an 'older' gamer? According to a recent
> survey (which I'm taking with a large pinch of salt), apparently the
> 25-35 age bracket is the dominant demographic in gaming at the moment.
> If that is true, I'm sure it's just that there is more disposable
> income in that group for multiple platforms, and a considerable
> software library. Plus presumably parents with small kids will also
> play on the console. And maybe those with large kids as well (hey, I'm
> not weightist).
>
> One experience I had recently was that I was staying at my mother in
> law's (no, this isn't going to be a pre political correctness joke),
> while my wife was finishing off her dissertation. I was keeping myself
> occupied on the PS2, and my mother in law showed some disbelief that I
> was 'wasting my time' on playing games. Then she saw Tony Hawk's 3,
> and was astounded by what she saw. OK, she didn't suddenly become an
> overnight games player, but she had a lot of questions about how the
> game would have been put together, particularly the animation and
> graphics. I don't know if she thought everyone was still playing Pac
> Man or something, but she really had no idea that games are reaching a
> mature state, in presentation at least. Also with her making part of
> her living out of being an artist, I think she felt she had really
> dropped the ball, and was out of touch with what technology can bring
> to the artistic process. Since then she's been a lot more open minded,
> and also started to use computer based art packages. It's strange to
> think that in some small way, the PS2 changed her outlook in life,
> even without actually using it!
>
> Anyway, that's a starter. If your under 30, let us know what you think
> of us oldies, and if you think you'll still be gaming into your 30s.

i just turned 22 in april but i'm just as much of keen gamer as i have ever been as a kid, my point being is i will probery never stop playing computer games and have no problem with age. Infact i think it's cool because there are too many people around that curse games about been violent or worthless but with people of a more mature audienice enjoying games it's going to make poeple more open minded. Pity my gramparents weren't into games, would make going around their houses about 1000 times more fun.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:55
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
ardbroilach wrote:
> when your girlfriend buys it for you as a christmas present she can't
> complain about you playing it all the time.

Whenever it's coming up to Christmas, birthday or Fathers day the missus always asks if there are any games that I want ?? Though she does draw the line at buying games on Valentines !

Can't complain about that now can I !
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:57
"High polygon count"
nh wrote:
> Whenever it's coming up to Christmas, birthday or Fathers day the
> missus always asks if there are any games that I want ??

Blimey!

If you ever get divorced, chucker her my way! ;-p
"High polygon count"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> If you ever get divorced, chucker her my way! ;-p

Chucker?

Silly f...
Darling what would you like for Valentine's Day?

Er.... Devil May Cry, or maybe GTA3. I feel like doing a lot of killing.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:59
Regular
"Aye!"
nh wrote:
> Oh - a thread just for us wrinklies - marvelous.....
>
> Age is a strange thing and I think you are right that older (Yes
> people do get older than us !!) people have a perception that video
> games is still about little blocks moving around the screen making
> strange squeeking noises.
>
> My dad came round ours one Sunday for lunch and he saw this strange
> grey box thing sitting under the telly - what's that he asked - that's
> our playstation I replied, do you want to have a go ? ok then, let's
> have a look.
>
> So on it went and first I put on F1 (This was the original 96 version
> !) and he was as gobsmacked as I was when I first powered it up. Then
> we played Actua Golf which he did quite well at and then came the
> "Killer App" - yes you guessed it , Bust-A-Move (Again the
> original one!), we played the thing for ages and when I spoke to him
> during the week he had gone out and bought himself a PSX with
> Bust-A-Move, Soul Blade and V-Rally.
>
> He is retired now and when he gets back from his allotment he often
> goes and has a game on the psx - he hasnt progressed to PS2 yet but
> hey - there is hope !
>
> So even us 30 something's aint past it.
>
> I have been playing games since I can remember games being around, Yes
> I played Pong in a Felixstowe seafront arcade when it first came out
> and have played some great games since and yes I think I will be
> playing games until I either die or get Arthritis.

lol if he was impressed with the PS1 then he will do cartwheels when he sees the PS2

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.