GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Create a forum in my domain?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/08 at 06:14
Regular
"Victory is mine!"
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to create a forum for my clients to use and to keep it in my domain. I have seen all the ones where they host it for you but I would really like to be able to host one myself.

Any help would be much apreciated.
Mon 21/01/08 at 19:28
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
miniBB is quite a slick forum script that allows table prefixes so that you can have multiple forums set up.
Be careful with phpBB, due to it's popularity it has been known to have a few problems with spammers and hacking. If you do use it the download version 3.x.
As Loki has said, MySQL is per account and not per domain so you could install multiple forums to use on various sites you have assigned to your account.
Try to avoid flat file based forum scripts, they are slower and can cause a greater load on the server if they get busy (due to files having to be opened and closed every time a user reads or posts to a thread).
Mon 21/01/08 at 18:58
Regular
"lukemorton.co.uk"
You might have trouble if the BB scripts need a certain table name in order to function since you would not be able to have more than one table of the same name. You might need some further knowledge into customizing table names in the BB script.

As for BB scripts I recommend www.phpBB.com or www.punbb.org. They both provide free PHP Bulletin Board software and include guides of how to set them up.
Mon 21/01/08 at 18:06
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
As far as I'm aware you would not need to buy a seperate MySQL upgrade for every site/domain. You can create multiple tables in your database so this could be used for more than one site at a time.

For anyone who doesn't feel like dabbling in SQL or configuring software, we will be launching a service in the next fortnight to allow customers to instantly add a forum to their site. The forum will appear as a subdomain of their existing address and will be set up and modified entirely through a simple online control panel.
Mon 21/01/08 at 17:58
Regular
I have been trying to put a forum on my sites for ages, the problem is most use mysql. Is there any decent forum or bb board scripts that uses flat files?

I was thinking of having the mysql thingy enabled, but I have quite a few web sites purchased from Freeola, it would make it rather pricey.

Its a pity the payment would not cover the whole account, rather than just one directory !!!!!!!
Sun 13/01/08 at 14:28
Regular
"Victory is mine!"
Thanks a lot for the replies. If freeola are going to release one I think I will wait for it so I know for sure it will be secure enough for my needs.
Sat 12/01/08 at 01:26
Regular
Cool looking forward to the launch
Fri 11/01/08 at 17:23
Staff
Freeola Instant sites is now due to launch next week, it will include Blogs at launch, though it will not include a Forum feature. We are however launching a Forum product within the next month which will integrate with Instant Sites and with any other Freeola hosted site.

More information to follow .....
Fri 11/01/08 at 09:39
"Are you sure?"
You'll need to install a forum 'script' on your site.

Either writing one yourself or using a third-party one.

There are lots out there, free and paid for.
For example www.phpbb.com is a well known free one.

Searching for 'forum script' will shows you lots of similar ones.

The more advanced the script the more likely it will require a MySQL databse. If you are after a small forum you can get away with one that uses a 'flatfile' database which means you won't need MySQL. But this would only cope with a relatively quiet forum.

Remember to think about security when installing a forum script. They are often attacked - so if you are installing someone else's script make sure it one that is well supported.

NB. I beleive Freeola's 'Web site builder' (launching soonish) will come with a forum option so this could also suit you. Just looked at the link in MyFreeola and it mentions BLOG, I thought it also mentioned forums in the past...

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 11/01/08 at 06:14
Regular
"Victory is mine!"
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to create a forum for my clients to use and to keep it in my domain. I have seen all the ones where they host it for you but I would really like to be able to host one myself.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.