GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"£129.99: Nintendo Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 14:07
Regular
Very good Nintendo.
With the Price-Drop to £199.99 for Microsoft's X-Box this Friday (Exactly one week before Gamecube release) Nintendo is effectively throwing egg in Microsofts face with this announcement.

Oh how I would love to be a fly on the wall at Microsoft HQ now, listening to their humiliated conversations and watching their raging red faces Heh Heh. : D
You have to admit it was a good one on behalf of Nintendo.

Despite Microsoft being tarnished as a little scared of the Gamecube with their price drop, Nintendo on the other hand have yet to release their console-So they, in effect, cannot be tarnished in the same manner.
You see, Nintendo knows what is coming. With the release of the N64, Sony dropped the Price of the PS to spoil the party. With the release of the X-Box, Sony held off for the release of MGS2 to shortly before the X-Box launch. But yet, nothing has been prepared for the Gamecube launch by Sony, Nothing, none at all- Which is suspiciously weird.
But in reality, don't bet on it. Sony possibly did have something planned to spoil the Gamecube launch day (Before this Nintendo announcement was made) and to take the spot light off the X-Box dominating the press with their price point. I think Sony where in line to spoil the Gamecube launch big time! with a possible announcement of a price drop to £170 or even a cheaper than Gamecube £160 by NEXT WEEK- You'll see.
Probably Nintendo got a hint of this themselves, which persuaded them to drop the price now rather than be last in line to do it and face humilation from the industry labeling them cowards and so forth.

And don't think that this announcement is a petty European decision either, it just happens that it is directly from NCL themselves in Japan. (Go see and translate www.nintendo.co.jp)
It was well thought out and it just goes to show how wrong people are in saying that Nintendo has an Anti European stance, when in fact it shows that they are all for the European market.
So at last Nintendo really have something to shout about on May 3rd, they can enter the Market, knowing that they WILL do well.
And with the many Luxurious AAA titles on the horizon, with Final Fantasy, Exclusive Resident Evils, Sega and the announcement that (The best game of all time) Zelda Ocarina of Time will get a revamped 3 disc Remake, more people will realise that the Nintendo Gamecube is the system to own for all their gaming needs.

The future is very Bright.
Mon 22/04/02 at 22:09
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
To be honest, the news of its price drop was so enlightening that I had a spring in my step for the rest of the day.

now I can ask my parents if they'd get a game with it, too!

WOOHOO!
Mon 22/04/02 at 22:01
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> This is plain weird....
>
> A price drop before launch....
>
> What's the point... what ninty COULD have done was to FORCE retailers
> to sell at £150 (the rrp), meaning the money Ninty got wasn't
> reduced at all...
>

Yes, but that would be illegal on Nintendo's part.
Mon 22/04/02 at 21:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
This is plain weird....

A price drop before launch....

What's the point... what ninty COULD have done was to FORCE retailers to sell at £150 (the rrp), meaning the money Ninty got wasn't reduced at all...

My head hurts.

Sonic
Mon 22/04/02 at 18:43
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
The Game wrote:
>
>
> I understand why it's doing what it's doing, but I do think
> £129.99 is too low for people to take Nintendo seriously.

Very True.
Yes there are people out there who won't buy it because it is affordable.
Are people like this Insane?
I can't get over someone feeling 'Great' for spending more for a console.
Don't they want something that is affordable?
That is quite sad.
Mon 22/04/02 at 16:59
"Mimmargh!"
So...the Cubes only around £130 and I am getting Smash Bros free for winning GAD....LOL! That leaves me with loads of money! Nintendo are having a laugh!
Mon 22/04/02 at 16:33
Regular
The Game wrote:
> I dunno, there's something so crap about the X-Box, I can't put my
> finger on it.

I think the phrase you're looking for is "blinkered Nintendo zealot".
Mon 22/04/02 at 15:53
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
You can tell the X-Box is Microsoft's first attempt at the console Market. The Console is hugh, the pad sucks, there's limited good games which are aimed at a limited market.

That's just an opinion, mind.

I reckon the bulk of the features for the X-Box are ones that only hardcore gamers will really use.

I dunno, there's something so crap about the X-Box, I can't put my finger on it.
Mon 22/04/02 at 15:39
Bleeders wrote:
> I thought FFX was released at the end of May?

1st May. That's... a few days away now.
Mon 22/04/02 at 15:36
Regular
"With the Price-Drop to £199.99 for Microsoft's X-Box this Friday (Exactly one week before Gamecube release) Nintendo is effectively throwing egg in Microsofts face with this announcement.

Oh how I would love to be a fly on the wall at Microsoft HQ now, listening to their humiliated conversations and watching their raging red faces Heh Heh. : D
You have to admit it was a good one on behalf of Nintendo."

Sorry, but you're speaking out of your a**e.

"Throwing egg in MS face"? Shut up.

the GC would never have sold at £160 after the Xbox price drop.

How can you justify spending £160 on a console, when for £40 more you can get a console with a quality DVD player as well?

Ninntendo HAD to drop the price otherwise the GC would have gone the same way as the N64 - ie only the hardcore Ninty fans would have bought one. Everyone else would have gone for an Xbox or PS2.

However, there is some good news - with all these price drops I may be able to afford to get a GC as well as my Xbox...

:-D
Mon 22/04/02 at 15:30
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I thought FFX was released at the end of May?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.