GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"£129.99: Nintendo Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 14:07
Regular
Very good Nintendo.
With the Price-Drop to £199.99 for Microsoft's X-Box this Friday (Exactly one week before Gamecube release) Nintendo is effectively throwing egg in Microsofts face with this announcement.

Oh how I would love to be a fly on the wall at Microsoft HQ now, listening to their humiliated conversations and watching their raging red faces Heh Heh. : D
You have to admit it was a good one on behalf of Nintendo.

Despite Microsoft being tarnished as a little scared of the Gamecube with their price drop, Nintendo on the other hand have yet to release their console-So they, in effect, cannot be tarnished in the same manner.
You see, Nintendo knows what is coming. With the release of the N64, Sony dropped the Price of the PS to spoil the party. With the release of the X-Box, Sony held off for the release of MGS2 to shortly before the X-Box launch. But yet, nothing has been prepared for the Gamecube launch by Sony, Nothing, none at all- Which is suspiciously weird.
But in reality, don't bet on it. Sony possibly did have something planned to spoil the Gamecube launch day (Before this Nintendo announcement was made) and to take the spot light off the X-Box dominating the press with their price point. I think Sony where in line to spoil the Gamecube launch big time! with a possible announcement of a price drop to £170 or even a cheaper than Gamecube £160 by NEXT WEEK- You'll see.
Probably Nintendo got a hint of this themselves, which persuaded them to drop the price now rather than be last in line to do it and face humilation from the industry labeling them cowards and so forth.

And don't think that this announcement is a petty European decision either, it just happens that it is directly from NCL themselves in Japan. (Go see and translate www.nintendo.co.jp)
It was well thought out and it just goes to show how wrong people are in saying that Nintendo has an Anti European stance, when in fact it shows that they are all for the European market.
So at last Nintendo really have something to shout about on May 3rd, they can enter the Market, knowing that they WILL do well.
And with the many Luxurious AAA titles on the horizon, with Final Fantasy, Exclusive Resident Evils, Sega and the announcement that (The best game of all time) Zelda Ocarina of Time will get a revamped 3 disc Remake, more people will realise that the Nintendo Gamecube is the system to own for all their gaming needs.

The future is very Bright.
Thu 25/04/02 at 08:50
"I hate that!!!"
I can't really see Sony dropping the price to £99 but they may be able to manage £149.99
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
£99 is almost impossible for Sony to manage, and would be total overkill. I'd be extremely surpised if it happened, as would I if they didn't drop the price by at least £30 in the next few weeks.
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Yes of course it was, its even more better now- or irresistable to be more precise.

And Sony is Heavely rumored to be following suit (They will of course). The Reputable Digitiser on Ch4 Text 481 has reported that insiders are saying of a £149.99 PS2 or an astonishingly £99....Go see.
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Surely it was already the best value console?
Wed 24/04/02 at 12:42
"I hate that!!!"
The reason for the price drop is actually that Nintendo want to ensure the best value console around when it launches.

Well that's what I think anyhoo
Wed 24/04/02 at 10:49
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> The profit loss on selling GameCubes at £129 must be phenominal.
> Nintendo must be really scared about the Xbox and PS2. Well, that's
> how I see it anyway.

Actually, the console was designed to be cheap (hence it isn't doesn't have parts as expensive as the Xbox).
Microsoft are making a far bigger loss at £200 than Nintendo are at £130.
Wed 24/04/02 at 07:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I really doubt it. I have a GameBoy Advance, but no matter how intriguing the prospects of linking Sonic Advance to the GameCube are, its still not making me actually want the console. I think everyone can realise that spending £129 on a console, plus£25 on a game just to link them up is stupid.

This linkup option will only cement the opinion of people who have decided to get one, methinks.
Tue 23/04/02 at 23:53
Regular
True. But Ninty must be making enough Dollar on the Gameboy Advance. And Ninty want all these mans with a Gameboy Advance to get a Gamecube as well. Hopefully this link up between the two consoles will be somtin special.
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The profit loss on selling GameCubes at £129 must be phenominal. Nintendo must be really scared about the Xbox and PS2. Well, that's how I see it anyway.
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:19
"I hate that!!!"
I have to agree with Shocktrooper there as I am a huge Nintendo fan and I am all for a price war.
But the price war (If it comes, which it almost certainly will) may result in Ninty going bust, that I don't want.

Because over the years I have had plenty of fun with my trusty old N64 and I would hate to see anything happen that may make Ninty bust. Allthough Nintendo are a well of company they can't really afford to drop the price much lower than £4 a time. Allthough we may benifit from it in the short term run we'll eventually loose out because Nintendo will no longer be able to afford to produce GameCubes.
So what good would it do buying a cube then if they don't make the games for them anymore.

It's like Sega and there folorn looking Dreamcast failing to produce enough sales therfore forcing Sega to Discontinue the Dream cast and it's games.

A similar sort of thing happened to Nintendo a year or so after the launch of the N64.
At first the games were coming out fast and thick but then they started to trickle untill eventually not reaching the bottom of the sink at all.
This was mainly due to the huge competition of Sony and there Ps1. Poor 'ol Ninty just couldn't cope.
That sadly lead to the much dreaded death of the N64.

But we've been given a little bit of exitement and a new hope in the world of gaming thanks to Nintendo dropping the price of the GameCube, which may and probabaly will lead to a price war.

That is something that hasn't happened for years.
It also gives us mere mortals something to talk about during lunchbreak or over a cup of tea.

But where does sSony come into this?
Well....Sony will probabaly cower in the corner for a while, but they will eventually be forced to drop the price of the PS2 due to feirce competition from Microsoft and Nintendo, if they don't they'll loose sales and loose out and most importantly loose a fine opertunity to prove that the're still up there with the best of them.

So I'm all for a price war but just as long as the participating company's don't loose out.
If that happened it may be the end of gaming.
Or even worse, it'll mean that Sony get to merrily prance about the games market.
That would never do.
Would it.

Here's to Ninty

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.