GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Now THIS is an interesting rumour!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 00:38
Regular
Today, my Dad and I popped out just before dinner to slip into Blockbusters and slap down a £10 deposit for a Gamecube.
It was at the point when we told the shop assistant what we wanted to do that we encountered this interesting rumour.
"I'd like to put a £10 deposit for a Gamecube, please" Said my Dad.
"ok...yup" replied the shop assistant, and she walked around to the other side of the counter and picked up the sign for the Gamecube deposit, looked at it, and bit her lip.
"You could put down the deposit, but, have you heard the rumour?" She asked. I was slightly miffed by this. At first I thought she meant the Xbox price cut, but that was fact, and everyone knew about it, so I quickly decided that it quite obviously has something to do with Gamecube, and so I proceeded to look politely puzzled...
"No", answered my Dad, after looking at me to check whether I knew something about this"
"Well, there's a fast-spreading rumour that the Gamecube's price tag will drop in a couple of months after launch...to about £100. Which is why, if you were to pay £169.99, you'd feel a bit gutted if Nintendo did suddenly drop the prices" Said the assistant, and I had to think for a moment.
What should I do? Should I still put the deposit down? Should I wait to see if anymore news is heard, and purchase my beloved 'Cube at a cheaper, even more tempting price? No, I want it on the release, and after all, it is just a rumour. And anyway, if I don't put the deposit down, maybe there wouldn't be anymore 'Cubes left!
"Well, if you still want to go ahead and get the Gamecube on the release day, then there'll be plenty here waiting for you. We've only preordered about 10, so there's no need to worry", said the assistant "If you did, just come in on Thursday and leave a note, or, if you're lucky, you could have it on the Thursday, because we'll be getting the deliveries soon, about 5 days before the launch."
"Well, maybe Nintendo will do what Microsoft have done and refund the people who spent more money, by offering a free game and controller?" I said to the shop assistant.
"Yeah, maybe" was the answer I got.
"Ok, then, thanks for that" Said my Dad. We turned and left the shop. We then started talking about how fierce the future console wars will be if Nintendo were to drop their prices to £100, and how the sales will change once people realise that the console they thought was by far the most expensive is now as cheap as the others (Xbox), and how well the 'Cube will sell with this competition (and the fact that PS2 prices will be dropped later on).

What do you lot think of this, eh? All a true story.
I think a this'll be a fine GAD topic idea :-D

Shocktrooper.
Mon 22/04/02 at 19:19
Regular
"Long time no see!"
WOW! You have a dad that likes to talk about gaming - and actually knows what he's talking about!

Mon 22/04/02 at 18:39
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
And to think no-one believed you.
Mon 22/04/02 at 11:52
Regular
"smile, it's free"
HálloHowArtThou wrote:
> Nintendo wont do anything about handouts for the simple reason that
> they dont need to...
>

Oh yes they do.

I'm not by any means the only gamer who is an 'Ex-ninty'. They cannot continue to be so arrogant, and simply rely on reputation and innovation to keep them in the game.

If customers are dissapointed in any way with their treatment, they'll move elswhere.

A good repuation is a good reputation, but it still CAN be irreperably damaged.
Mon 22/04/02 at 10:30
Regular
er-no wrote:
> Nintendo will not drop their price to 100.
>
> Shops already retail the machine at 160-175 and are making a minimum
> profit on all of the GC range. It wouldn't make sense. Nintendo like
> to make profit, unlike Microsoft and Sony who still haven't made any
> profits in terms of being a company with their console ever.
>
> That made no sense?
>
> Great.

Heh, got that wrong didnt ya :P
Sun 21/04/02 at 13:55
"Right!!!!!™"
Semajal wrote:
> nintendo are keeping quiet bout the 'Cube because i imagine they have
> a large scale marketing scheme that will start up in a few days.
>
> It is better to hype a console just before its launch so people are
> excited at the launch date, rather than to advertise for months
> previously, wasteing alot of money and getting people excited, people
> who go down to their local shops and find pre orders havn;t even
> started. Then they are likely to forget and go buy something else.

I agree.
Sun 21/04/02 at 12:21
"slightlyshortertagl"
Nintendo wont do anything about handouts for the simple reason that they dont need to...

The only reason microsoft are doinmg the handouts is because of their newbieness to the console market and they need to leave a VERY good impression for the next console (if there is one)
Sun 21/04/02 at 11:49
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
nintendo are keeping quiet bout the 'Cube because i imagine they have a large scale marketing scheme that will start up in a few days.

It is better to hype a console just before its launch so people are excited at the launch date, rather than to advertise for months previously, wasteing alot of money and getting people excited, people who go down to their local shops and find pre orders havn;t even started. Then they are likely to forget and go buy something else.
Sun 21/04/02 at 11:45
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
hmmmmm

im sure GC price will drop but not for a while. I imagine they will sell much better than the Xbox and not need to drop the price for longer.
Sun 21/04/02 at 09:59
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yeah, that is intresting. But I have already paid for mine in full, at £165. So, I dont really care.. I thought, the early price release ment that Nintendo wouldn't have to change the price for about a year, Because its so low already.

X-Box would go down to £50, no, just think, because Microsoft and Bill Gates, they aint gonna lose much money are they? They could sell it ay ANY price.
Sun 21/04/02 at 09:39
Regular
"keep your receipt"
GameCube's price won't drop too soon because the shops are still smarting after having to sell GameCube at such a small launch price. The only way we're gonna see a drop in price is if Nintendo lower the wholesale price in PAL territories and I think that won't happen until at least July.

If you look at overall costs the GameCube still comes out far cheaper, I'm getting a GC, controller, memory card and game (all official) for £219. When you consider that on XBOX it would cost around £250 and on PS2 around the same I think the GC is still the most economic. Add the extra cash for DVD playback on those consoles and on the money you've spent you could easily have another GC game and controller. Taking into account the lower wattage of GameCube means It's more economical in the long run too.

-M-

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.