GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP still trundling along?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/01/08 at 18:39
"possibly impossible"
The general opinion over the internet seems to be that there are too few decent PSP games being released, yet the machine still sells well.

Maybe it's because there's a giant dedicated following of hackers ready to make it far more customer friendly with the addition of being able to download any PS1 game or play SNES and Megadrive emulators on the clear screen.

Or perhaps it's the fact that it works really well as a media player, just so long as you either convert the files or add a DIVX software player to a hacked machine.

Either way, it's still confusing why more software isn't released for the machine. It's proximity to a PS2 in terms of graphics and game worlds would have made it ideal for ports, but few decent ones have appeared. You only need to look at the GTA PSP games to see just what can be achieved.

Even original games could be a hit. Look at Locoroco, it's such a simple game but full of ingenuity. But few seem to be able to hit the mark, while the underpowered DS groans under the weight of ingenious software.

The DS, like the Wii, was originally considered a risky prospect. An underpowered handheld next to its rival (even though the PSP appeared later, the specs were known beforehand) but it seems to have gone straight to the heart of gamesplayers and non-gamesplayers alike.

I suppose the question is, should Sony be trying harder to get support for the console or should they now be thinking about PSP2 support and was the PSP successful enough in the last generation for them to bother with another handheld anyway?
Sat 05/01/08 at 18:39
"possibly impossible"
The general opinion over the internet seems to be that there are too few decent PSP games being released, yet the machine still sells well.

Maybe it's because there's a giant dedicated following of hackers ready to make it far more customer friendly with the addition of being able to download any PS1 game or play SNES and Megadrive emulators on the clear screen.

Or perhaps it's the fact that it works really well as a media player, just so long as you either convert the files or add a DIVX software player to a hacked machine.

Either way, it's still confusing why more software isn't released for the machine. It's proximity to a PS2 in terms of graphics and game worlds would have made it ideal for ports, but few decent ones have appeared. You only need to look at the GTA PSP games to see just what can be achieved.

Even original games could be a hit. Look at Locoroco, it's such a simple game but full of ingenuity. But few seem to be able to hit the mark, while the underpowered DS groans under the weight of ingenious software.

The DS, like the Wii, was originally considered a risky prospect. An underpowered handheld next to its rival (even though the PSP appeared later, the specs were known beforehand) but it seems to have gone straight to the heart of gamesplayers and non-gamesplayers alike.

I suppose the question is, should Sony be trying harder to get support for the console or should they now be thinking about PSP2 support and was the PSP successful enough in the last generation for them to bother with another handheld anyway?
Sat 05/01/08 at 18:46
Regular
pb wrote:
> The general opinion over the internet seems to be that there are
> too few decent PSP games being released, yet the machine still
> sells well.

Perhaps the biggest misconception in gaming at the moment, off the top of my head I could probably name you abot twenty excellent games.
Sat 05/01/08 at 19:14
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> pb wrote:
> The general opinion over the internet seems to be that there
> are
> too few decent PSP games being released, yet the machine still
> sells well.
>
> Perhaps the biggest misconception in gaming at the moment, off
> the top of my head I could probably name you abot twenty
> excellent games.

Over the span of how long? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my PSP, but the ratio of quality games on the DS far outweighs it. Yes, the PSP has some good games, I might not have kept it otherwise, but it just can't compete.
Sat 05/01/08 at 19:20
Regular
Also, in terms of success it actually hasn't done that badly. Sure it hasn't done as well as the giant that is the DS but it has still sold a respectable amount of units and continues to sell well. What's that? It outsold both the PS3 and Xbox 360 last week =O
Sat 05/01/08 at 20:17
"possibly impossible"
I did mention it was selling well, handhelds always do. But the issue is that it has to look like it is keeping up with the competition or there is a risk that the next model won't fare as well, plus profits depend on what the PSP is used for once it leaves the shop.

If everyone buys a PSP and only 3 or 4 games then it won't really be doing Sony any favours, particularly if some of those people then go and hack it to get the best use out of the machine, they need software sales.
Sat 05/01/08 at 20:55
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> Over the span of how long? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love
> my PSP, but the ratio of quality games on the DS far outweighs
> it. Yes, the PSP has some good games, I might not have kept it
> otherwise, but it just can't compete.

As a matter of interest, I've just had a look at IGN's game ratings. According to them there are around 95(ish) DS games with a score of 8 or more and 92(ish) PSP games with that score and above. I'm not claiming IGN is any definitive source but it certainly backs up my own personal experience of both systems.
This idea that the DS has far more quality games is just a perception rather than a reality in my opinion. I think where you can argue the DS is superior is variety.
Sat 05/01/08 at 22:27
"possibly impossible"
Then Sony need to change the preconception.

I must admit I was surprised at your results, it just doesn't feel as if the PSP has all those great titles it should have for such a high-tech machine.
Sat 05/01/08 at 22:58
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I had 150 quids worth of vouchers, went to buy a PSP, decided not to when I couldnt find a single title for it that I wanted, that wasnt already out on a console I already owned. Couldnt justify its money at all.
Sat 05/01/08 at 23:09
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Was thinking of getting one actually later on this month. There's quite a few interesting RPG's out for it and it'd be nice to play the FF Tactics game with cutscenes and all that razamatazz
Sun 06/01/08 at 00:28
Regular
I'm still deciding whether to get a psp or wii or ps3... no entirely sure which i will get yet...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.