GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP still trundling along?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/01/08 at 18:39
"possibly impossible"
The general opinion over the internet seems to be that there are too few decent PSP games being released, yet the machine still sells well.

Maybe it's because there's a giant dedicated following of hackers ready to make it far more customer friendly with the addition of being able to download any PS1 game or play SNES and Megadrive emulators on the clear screen.

Or perhaps it's the fact that it works really well as a media player, just so long as you either convert the files or add a DIVX software player to a hacked machine.

Either way, it's still confusing why more software isn't released for the machine. It's proximity to a PS2 in terms of graphics and game worlds would have made it ideal for ports, but few decent ones have appeared. You only need to look at the GTA PSP games to see just what can be achieved.

Even original games could be a hit. Look at Locoroco, it's such a simple game but full of ingenuity. But few seem to be able to hit the mark, while the underpowered DS groans under the weight of ingenious software.

The DS, like the Wii, was originally considered a risky prospect. An underpowered handheld next to its rival (even though the PSP appeared later, the specs were known beforehand) but it seems to have gone straight to the heart of gamesplayers and non-gamesplayers alike.

I suppose the question is, should Sony be trying harder to get support for the console or should they now be thinking about PSP2 support and was the PSP successful enough in the last generation for them to bother with another handheld anyway?
Thu 24/01/08 at 17:55
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Kawada wrote:
> Was thinking of getting one actually later on this month. There's
> quite a few interesting RPG's out for it and it'd be nice to play
> the FF Tactics game with cutscenes and all that razamatazz

It's awful. Bought it for my long trip to Huddersfield, hated it somuch I found staring at the back of the seat in front was a much better option.

I use mine every night to play music and just have a go at Mind Quiz (like Brain Training, but LOADS more puzzles). I'm not quite sure what they were thinking though, using pictures of animals as rewards for beating your previous score in a minigame. Hmmm...

But although I hated on it during it's initial year, bought one cheaply in the states and really like it - even though I hardly use it for gaming or hacking or whatever most people use it for. Perhaps mayb better off with the new 160GB iPod, but what if I want an involving game to play?
Thu 24/01/08 at 16:53
Regular
"CallOfBen"
I like the PSP I suspose the obvious thing i lacks compared to the DS is the touch screen but I think that people like the media compatibilities of the PSP and that is why its sold a decent amount.
Sun 06/01/08 at 14:21
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
> Although I enjoyed the GBA version of Tactics more than I enjoy
> Lion Wars.
>
>
> Then you's a crazy fool

Don't be a ho, Lion Wars plot is ridiculously tedious. I can't seem to get into it.
Sun 06/01/08 at 13:36
Regular
"Author of Pain"
The thing with the PSP is that it sells well as a media player, not a games machine. The software - and there is a reasonable amount of it available of a good quality - does not sell nearly as well as one might expect given the user base.

Compare that with the DS - purely a games machine, which sells like hot cakes and has software sales to match.
Sun 06/01/08 at 13:28
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Alfonse wrote:
> Although I enjoyed the GBA version of Tactics more than I enjoy Lion Wars.

Then you's a crazy fool
Sun 06/01/08 at 10:44
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Was thinking of getting one actually later on this month. There's
> quite a few interesting RPG's out for it and it'd be nice to play
> the FF Tactics game with cutscenes and all that razamatazz

=D You must excited about Disgaea: Afternoon tea with the Queen

But I agree, there are some really cool RPGs on it. Although I enjoyed the GBA version of Tactics more than I enjoy Lion Wars. I'm still waiting on Crisis Core =|
Sun 06/01/08 at 00:28
Regular
I'm still deciding whether to get a psp or wii or ps3... no entirely sure which i will get yet...
Sat 05/01/08 at 23:09
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Was thinking of getting one actually later on this month. There's quite a few interesting RPG's out for it and it'd be nice to play the FF Tactics game with cutscenes and all that razamatazz
Sat 05/01/08 at 22:58
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I had 150 quids worth of vouchers, went to buy a PSP, decided not to when I couldnt find a single title for it that I wanted, that wasnt already out on a console I already owned. Couldnt justify its money at all.
Sat 05/01/08 at 22:27
"possibly impossible"
Then Sony need to change the preconception.

I must admit I was surprised at your results, it just doesn't feel as if the PSP has all those great titles it should have for such a high-tech machine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.