GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Hate Tomb Raider?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 04:20
Regular
So many people seem to hate this game, not only was it one of the first third person shooters that wasn't 2D, it has a great character.

Tomb Raider may have lousy puzzles, but it has vast and impressive environments and makes use of them, In the rainforest ladders are rock handholds, in the city, they're steel. Not only this, it has heaps of great locations, outfits, vehicles, weapons and enemies, so why does everyone hate it?

I love Tomb raider, I have all the games except one and love them, so please, inform me why it is so hated.

Ice Raider
Sun 05/05/02 at 21:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Tomb raider is the most empty game (it terms of gameplay) that I have ever played. Lets face it the only reason people like this franchise is because it has some bird with huge knockers and a fat ar$e as the lead charecter.
Sun 05/05/02 at 13:20
Regular
"simpsons rule"
i dont hate tomb raider i think it is a good game
Fri 26/04/02 at 23:34
"For the horde!!!!"
Tomb Raiders not a bad game but i found it very annoying when i'm suddenly ambused by an enemie and all i can do is ether jump all over the place avoiding been hit or stand on a rock like a coward and shoot down at the enemie, the camera angles are a real pain at time.
Fri 26/04/02 at 18:47
Regular
"Brrrrr."
LARA'S CROFT?!?!?! Sounds nice...
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:43
"Darkness, always"
The Tomb Raider series hasn't created a single "good" game.

Yes, the first one was sort of groundbreaking(ish) in terms of what it tried to be. Tried being the operative word here. They made several mistakes putting that game together:

• The levels were annoying, and the puzzles were reptitive and irritating.
• Too much time was spent on making Lara look and move well, and not enough was spent on adding gameplay to the rest of the game
• The designers got carried away with Lara, and made the character the selling point of the game, rather than the playability they forgot to put in, the great levels they never got round to designing and the brainteasing puzzles they had no time to put together because they spent all their time on Lara's waistline.

The first people to "get-off" on Lara Croft were doubtless the designers that put her together in the first place. All their time being dedicated to forming perfect breasts and waistlines, and their free time spent staring at a monitor and spanking monkeys, left little room for the game to be put together well, meaning that the game was doomed from the outset.

All the sequels that were to follow inevitably fell into the same trap, the first game having had success for the same reasons that the designers had lost sleep over it. Indeed, as they went from sequel to boring sequel, more and more time was spent on the single character that was to be the game's selling point, more monkeys were spanked and less inventive things were added to the games.

That a movie was made on the same principal as the games (that being to concentrate entirely on the physical attributes of the female lead character), rather than on storyline, character development, or anything else is merely tribute to the failing mental health of the game's original conceptors, as I'm sure by now they are probably committed somewhere, hugging Lara croft dolls, and spanking monkeys only when their arms aren't tied across their chests.

However, the whole Tomb Raider thing was good for one thing: getting the whole "make a female charcter the selling point" idea out of people's heads and into the market, so everyone knows what a bad idea it is.

Never again, I beg of the game developing world. Never again.

IB
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:42
"Darkness, always"
The Tomb Raider series hasn't created a single "good" game.

Yes, the first one was sort of groundbreaking(ish) in terms of what it tried to be. Tried being the operative word here. They made several mistakes putting that game together:

• The levels were annoying, and the puzzles were reptitive and irritating.
• Too much time was spent on making Lara look and move well, and not enough was spent on adding gameplay to the rest of the game
• The designers got carried away with Lara, and made the character the selling point of the game, rather than the playability they forgot to put in, the great levels they never got round to designing and the brainteasing puzzles they had no time to put together because they spent all their time on Lara's waistline.

The first people to "get-off" on Lara Croft were doubtless the designers that put her together in the first place. All their time being dedicated to forming perfect breasts and waistlines, and their free time spent staring at a monitor and spanking monkeys, left little room for the game to be put together well, meaning that the game was doomed from the outset.

All the sequels that were to follow inevitably fell into the same trap, the first game having had success for the same reasons that the designers had lost sleep over it. Indeed, as they went from sequel to boring sequel, more and more time was spent on the single character that was to be the game's selling point, more monkeys were spanked and less inventive things were added to the games.

That a movie was made on the same principal as the games (that being to concentrate entirely on the physical attributes of the female lead character), rather than on storyline, character development, or anything else is merely tribute to the failing mental health of the game's original conceptors, as I'm sure by now they are probably committed somewhere, hugging Lara croft dolls, and spanking monkeys only when their arms aren't tied across their chests.

However, the whole Tomb Raider thing was good for one thing: getting the whole "make a female charcter the selling point" idea out of people's heads and into the market, so everyone knows what a bad idea it is.

Never again, I beg of the game developing world. Never again.

IB
Tue 23/04/02 at 18:41
I think the people who do like tomb raider games are the people who chuck their muck over laras digitsed image. But I do stand by my fondness of Nell McAndrews Lara like !! weeeeeee
Sun 21/04/02 at 17:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I thought I was the only one who hated these games, all my friends seem to love them. And I agree with Protoss and Ashley, Max Payne is the true banchmark game for the 3rd perspective genre, and turds all over the crappy tomb raider.
Sun 21/04/02 at 12:17
Regular
tomb raider is pretty rubbish. weak storylines, sparse action. max payne is so much better. in tomb raider you can play for ages and make little progress due to some extremely nonsensical puzzle. it needs to be better thought out.
Fri 19/04/02 at 11:48
I played the first and thats where it ended. I tried to stay away from ever owning another TR game but i failed. Why? cos I bought an Ericsson mobile and got a damned free copy of TR chronicles with it ARGGGGGGGG. But all was not lost, It made a wonderful coaster.

But also I must say the Nell Mcandrews incarnation of Lara was more the satisfying ;)

ITS NOT REAL GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.