GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Hate Tomb Raider?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 04:20
Regular
So many people seem to hate this game, not only was it one of the first third person shooters that wasn't 2D, it has a great character.

Tomb Raider may have lousy puzzles, but it has vast and impressive environments and makes use of them, In the rainforest ladders are rock handholds, in the city, they're steel. Not only this, it has heaps of great locations, outfits, vehicles, weapons and enemies, so why does everyone hate it?

I love Tomb raider, I have all the games except one and love them, so please, inform me why it is so hated.

Ice Raider
Thu 18/04/02 at 04:20
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
So many people seem to hate this game, not only was it one of the first third person shooters that wasn't 2D, it has a great character.

Tomb Raider may have lousy puzzles, but it has vast and impressive environments and makes use of them, In the rainforest ladders are rock handholds, in the city, they're steel. Not only this, it has heaps of great locations, outfits, vehicles, weapons and enemies, so why does everyone hate it?

I love Tomb raider, I have all the games except one and love them, so please, inform me why it is so hated.

Ice Raider
Thu 18/04/02 at 13:24
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've always hated tomb raider since I tried the first game all those years ago. It’s a game that’s never appealed to me in any way whatsoever.

Let me begin by saying I find Lara Croft to be one of the most undesirable female game characters in existence. As well as having huge breasts, which I'm surprised she can keep her self balanced with, she also has a massive head. She’s just completely out of shape. Plus who would wear shorts and a skintight top when going to places like the Alps and other less exotic locations. It makes no sense.

The locations do take you all around the world, but a tomb is a tomb. Which basically means a tomb in China is almost exactly the same as a tomb in Egypt, except with different wall textures. The variety isn't enough to keep me interested. The game needs more in the way of exploring the surroundings, not just stick to going from one ruin to the next.

There isn't enough in the game to keep me occupied either. Aside from puzzles there are some (weak) action elements. Most of the enemies in the game are animals. Animal’s ffs, why the hell did core think it would be a good idea to have Lara fight tigers and other endangered species. I know you do get to fight people some time in the games, but all enemies a spread out pretty thinly over the levels, which means there isn’t much to do in-between puzzles.

So onto the puzzles then. Perhaps the one thing I hate most about these games. Being more of an action fan, I found it incredibly hard to complete the puzzles set up in the game. There isn't much in the way of clues to some of these puzzles, so I always seem to find myself frantically searching high and low for some sort of lever or door, which I probably didn't notice before. I drives me up the bloody wall when what I needed to complete the puzzle was right in front of me the whole time.

So that’s why I hate these games, The next-gen Tomb raider looks better than the previous titles, but I won't be holding my breath because I doubt I'll go for that game either. For these games to improve for the future, I would suggest getting a female character who actually looks like a woman, Locations which are far more open ended and better designed, plenty of action (against humans preferably ;D), and easier puzzles so I and others don't waste hours completing them. Until that day I shall always dislike Tomb Raider games.
Thu 18/04/02 at 16:14
"Mimmargh!"
I completly agree with cipro, it's so hard just to control the camera angle, and Lara is not a 'great character'. If you want a good, realistic and popular game thats varied in a 3rd person mode you should really cheak out Max Payne, it puts tombraider to shame. And you don't spend your time killing small dogs and polar bears.
Fri 19/04/02 at 11:48
I played the first and thats where it ended. I tried to stay away from ever owning another TR game but i failed. Why? cos I bought an Ericsson mobile and got a damned free copy of TR chronicles with it ARGGGGGGGG. But all was not lost, It made a wonderful coaster.

But also I must say the Nell Mcandrews incarnation of Lara was more the satisfying ;)

ITS NOT REAL GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!
Sun 21/04/02 at 12:17
Regular
tomb raider is pretty rubbish. weak storylines, sparse action. max payne is so much better. in tomb raider you can play for ages and make little progress due to some extremely nonsensical puzzle. it needs to be better thought out.
Sun 21/04/02 at 17:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I thought I was the only one who hated these games, all my friends seem to love them. And I agree with Protoss and Ashley, Max Payne is the true banchmark game for the 3rd perspective genre, and turds all over the crappy tomb raider.
Tue 23/04/02 at 18:41
I think the people who do like tomb raider games are the people who chuck their muck over laras digitsed image. But I do stand by my fondness of Nell McAndrews Lara like !! weeeeeee
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:42
"Darkness, always"
The Tomb Raider series hasn't created a single "good" game.

Yes, the first one was sort of groundbreaking(ish) in terms of what it tried to be. Tried being the operative word here. They made several mistakes putting that game together:

• The levels were annoying, and the puzzles were reptitive and irritating.
• Too much time was spent on making Lara look and move well, and not enough was spent on adding gameplay to the rest of the game
• The designers got carried away with Lara, and made the character the selling point of the game, rather than the playability they forgot to put in, the great levels they never got round to designing and the brainteasing puzzles they had no time to put together because they spent all their time on Lara's waistline.

The first people to "get-off" on Lara Croft were doubtless the designers that put her together in the first place. All their time being dedicated to forming perfect breasts and waistlines, and their free time spent staring at a monitor and spanking monkeys, left little room for the game to be put together well, meaning that the game was doomed from the outset.

All the sequels that were to follow inevitably fell into the same trap, the first game having had success for the same reasons that the designers had lost sleep over it. Indeed, as they went from sequel to boring sequel, more and more time was spent on the single character that was to be the game's selling point, more monkeys were spanked and less inventive things were added to the games.

That a movie was made on the same principal as the games (that being to concentrate entirely on the physical attributes of the female lead character), rather than on storyline, character development, or anything else is merely tribute to the failing mental health of the game's original conceptors, as I'm sure by now they are probably committed somewhere, hugging Lara croft dolls, and spanking monkeys only when their arms aren't tied across their chests.

However, the whole Tomb Raider thing was good for one thing: getting the whole "make a female charcter the selling point" idea out of people's heads and into the market, so everyone knows what a bad idea it is.

Never again, I beg of the game developing world. Never again.

IB
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:43
"Darkness, always"
The Tomb Raider series hasn't created a single "good" game.

Yes, the first one was sort of groundbreaking(ish) in terms of what it tried to be. Tried being the operative word here. They made several mistakes putting that game together:

• The levels were annoying, and the puzzles were reptitive and irritating.
• Too much time was spent on making Lara look and move well, and not enough was spent on adding gameplay to the rest of the game
• The designers got carried away with Lara, and made the character the selling point of the game, rather than the playability they forgot to put in, the great levels they never got round to designing and the brainteasing puzzles they had no time to put together because they spent all their time on Lara's waistline.

The first people to "get-off" on Lara Croft were doubtless the designers that put her together in the first place. All their time being dedicated to forming perfect breasts and waistlines, and their free time spent staring at a monitor and spanking monkeys, left little room for the game to be put together well, meaning that the game was doomed from the outset.

All the sequels that were to follow inevitably fell into the same trap, the first game having had success for the same reasons that the designers had lost sleep over it. Indeed, as they went from sequel to boring sequel, more and more time was spent on the single character that was to be the game's selling point, more monkeys were spanked and less inventive things were added to the games.

That a movie was made on the same principal as the games (that being to concentrate entirely on the physical attributes of the female lead character), rather than on storyline, character development, or anything else is merely tribute to the failing mental health of the game's original conceptors, as I'm sure by now they are probably committed somewhere, hugging Lara croft dolls, and spanking monkeys only when their arms aren't tied across their chests.

However, the whole Tomb Raider thing was good for one thing: getting the whole "make a female charcter the selling point" idea out of people's heads and into the market, so everyone knows what a bad idea it is.

Never again, I beg of the game developing world. Never again.

IB
Fri 26/04/02 at 18:47
Regular
"Brrrrr."
LARA'S CROFT?!?!?! Sounds nice...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.