GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why are PCs so unpopular?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 03:55
Regular
This is not an insult to PC lovers.

It seems that the most flexible console, the PC is being overlooked by game creators, take Crazy Taxi, it wasn't released for PC for ages. Spy Hunter and Gran Turismo are on the Playstation and the XBox, so why not on the PC?
Is it better graphics?
Better Sound?

So why aren't games released for PC as much as they are for other gaming platforms?

Ideas anyone?
Thu 18/04/02 at 03:55
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
This is not an insult to PC lovers.

It seems that the most flexible console, the PC is being overlooked by game creators, take Crazy Taxi, it wasn't released for PC for ages. Spy Hunter and Gran Turismo are on the Playstation and the XBox, so why not on the PC?
Is it better graphics?
Better Sound?

So why aren't games released for PC as much as they are for other gaming platforms?

Ideas anyone?
Thu 18/04/02 at 09:29
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
PC games take more work to design. It's true.

A console game has one platform to work on, with pre-specified hardware. A PC game has hundreds of different levels to operate on. There are no problems of compatibility with consoles.

In addition to this, console manufacturers can make more money from console games - they are happy to charge up to £50 for an XBOX game, but PC games rarely go above £30.

Finally - PCs have far superior capabilities to consoles. That is why their graphics are so much better (provided the PC has a new enough graphics gard). Our games tend to be more innovative, like Max Payne and Black and White. We also get the best FPSs - Deus Ex, Wolfenstein (not to mention Q3 and UT).

PCs are not ignored. They are the kings of gaming.
Thu 18/04/02 at 16:16
"Mimmargh!"
Small Frog wrote:
> Finally - PCs have far superior capabilities to consoles. That is why
> their graphics are so much better (provided the PC has a new enough
> graphics gard). Our games tend to be more innovative, like Max Payne
> and Black and White. We also get the best FPSs - Deus Ex, Wolfenstein
> (not to mention Q3 and UT).

Don't forget Allied Assault!
And PCs are not unpopular Ice Picker lol! There selling more than ever world wide and in Britian.
Thu 18/04/02 at 17:33
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Selling well, but for gaming or buisness?
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:30
"Mimmargh!"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Selling well, but for gaming or buisness?

You and I both know that office workers play games when the boss has his back turned! Lol.
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:00
Regular
">:)"
Small Frog wrote:

> Finally - PCs have far superior capabilities to consoles. That is why
> their graphics are so much better (provided the PC has a new enough
> graphics gard). Our games tend to be more innovative, like Max Payne
> and Black and White. We also get the best FPSs - Deus Ex, Wolfenstein
> (not to mention Q3 and UT).
>
> PCs are not ignored. They are the kings of gaming.

I dont agree. PC's have always been designed to be versitile. This means that although you can do as much as you like to a PC, it will never be as effecient or as realiable as a console game. It takes a lot of money to get a PC good enough to run the latest games on, and to keep your PC top of the range continally empties your pockets. A console is a stable platform, designed specifically with games in mind. They are quick and reliable, can be used only when you need them, and dont have the problems associates with windows crashing halfway through a game, then refusing to let you play it again until you have reinstalled it.

Installing is a nother issue. Unless you have a hard drive the size of the moon, then sooner or later you are going to have to delete games to make room for others. A console player can just pick a game out of its box, put it in the console, and play away.

And finally, the PC FPS has been and gone. Consoles hold that crown. Perfect Dark anyone?
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:00
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
LOL, your probably right :)
Fri 19/04/02 at 01:55
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
Thanks for your contributions.

The name is Ice Raider, not Ice Picker for people who call me that, it's like Tomb Raider.

Personally I hate Medal of Honour, it is nowhere near as good as Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza, and besides, who wants to take part in such a horrible event?

The point of my post is that for every ten games for onsoles, there's one for PC, the games we have on PC are good, even better than consoles in the case of Nakatomi Plaza, etc. But there are so few PC games compared to PS games.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Ice RAIDER!!!!
Fri 19/04/02 at 09:26
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I hate to point this out, but the Die Hard games are badly-made cash-ins on the film licence.

And there are hundreds more PC games than PS games.

And...if you do "continually empty your pockets" to have a good PC, your reward is getting better graphics and sound than any console is even capable off.

The one thing I agree with you on is the ease of console use. They are just 'turn on and play'. But your point about hard-drive size is irrelevant - consoles use memory cards, and eventually you will have to remove saves.

Consoles are out of date in 18 months. A regularly upgraded PC can last a lifetime, and can cost less than a console to upgrade if you stick with lower than the top-range stuff.
Fri 19/04/02 at 11:35
Regular
"A man with a stick"
evilist wrote:

> And finally, the PC FPS has been and gone. Consoles hold that crown.
> Perfect Dark anyone?

Medal of Honour: allied assault anyone, Jedi outcast anyone, soldier of fortune 2 anyone. I could go on like this all day, just to show you how much of a strangle hole the PC has on the FPS market.

And one more thing, Installing games and upgrading my computer has never ever been a problem for me. Infact Installing games is probably what keeps PC titles cheaper than consoles, and upgrading, although it can be expensive (no more so than new console I might add) is always a worthy purchase. It make the PC the most powerful games platform on any market.

I own a console aswell, and although I have some great games for it, I don't think they are up to the same standards as PC titles. Thats my opinion though and your welcome to disagree, but I doubt I will change mind about this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.