GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokemon Advance"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/11/-1 at 00:00
Regular
otherwise Pokémon Advance (and "Pokémon Stadium Cube" or whatever) will indeed be the last of the Pokémon games.
Thu 30/05/02 at 21:18
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Pokemon was always basic. It didn't have extremly complictated puzzles or anything of that kind, but it attracted people because of it's playability and the fact you were absorbed into the game almost immediatly definately helped.

Maybe Nintendo still wish to keep the emphasis on the gameplay and not the graphics, in which case I'm sure the game will be amazing - well they might make up for it that way. Whatever happens the game will still fly off the shelves, but people may turn towards the golden sun sequel instead.
Thu 23/05/02 at 14:50
Part of the problem is that _many_ people have been put off by seeing those pre-release screenshots. People don't want to play a Pokémon game on GBA that has the appearance that it could just as easily have been a GB offering. It actually can't; there's a limit of 256 Pokémon using the GB's 8-bit system; the GBA's 32-bit system expands on this. But that detail would be too subtle.

Still, they will need to do something to draw in newcomers, otherwise Pokémon Advance (and "Pokémon Stadium Cube" or whatever) will indeed be the last of the Pokémon games.
Thu 23/05/02 at 14:27
I agree to alot of what you sed but, the overall gaming community do look mainly at gameplay, although the visual asthetics of games tend to obscure there vison as to wether or not the game is actually s##t.In the case of Pokémon Advance, the game itself looks like an extreamly old boot which has been polished for the last time. But the people who enjoyed the first games will, quite obviosly , have a blast on the new game...just like I will as soon as I purchase it.

"I know not what I do, when I take your life from you!!!!"
Thu 23/05/02 at 12:41
I know it's not right to judge a game's gameplay based on its graphics, but people will anyway. A lot of games of late have really become a matter of style over substance (like the PS Final Fantasy games), but Golden Sun has really raised the benchmark by providing stunning sound & graphics, while keeping a gripping storyline, believable characters, and great gameplay.

The other problem with the new Pokémon is the "quality" (or lack thereof) of the new monsters. I mean, a Wobbuffet (ソ-ナンス) was bad enough, but do we really want a baby Wobbuffet (ソーナノ) now also (as shown on the right-hand graphic)?
Thu 23/05/02 at 12:29
I think the people are right about the "improved" graphics, but just judging a game by that, i think, is wrong. What you should take in to consideration aswell are things like the gameplay, the lastability of the games and the options. With the fact that it is Pokémon we're talking about here then I think that it will be a relitivley popular game,as all of the ogther games have proved on many occasions!!! The fight scenes looking better and also the option of playing as a girl or boy(like in crystle) are the things I believe will be looking for!!!

"Everybody know that the daddy eats his young"
Thu 23/05/02 at 10:22
Defective_brain wrote:
> Where can I see some screen shots of Pokémon Advance on the
> internet. This debate seems to be very interesting, but I would like

There are some screenshots in SR's news article on Pokémon Advance:
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1674

As far as I can tell, these are the only screenshots that have been released because these are the only that appear in magazines.
Wed 22/05/02 at 11:02
Where can I see some screen shots of Pokémon Advance on the internet. This debate seems to be very interesting, but I would like to make up my own mind before opening my mind about it.......After all, that would just be utterly pointless.

"Beebo... If I ever catch you smoking again.....I'll shoot you in the face!!!!"
Tue 21/05/02 at 16:34
Regular
"simpsons rule"
what do you expect pokemon is rubish anyway
Tue 21/05/02 at 15:30
You have to wonder. Two theories:

(1) They're going back to the drawing board after seeing Golden Sun's graphics; I suspect a LOT of GBA RPG developers are, or

(2) They released those screenshots to force our expectations down, so in a month or so, they'll release better screenshots though not as good as GS... we'll still be wowing as our expectations have been lowered by what we've already seen. Shrewd, if this is the case.

Or, (3) this is really the final state of play. They're shooting themselves in the foot if this is the case!
Thu 02/05/02 at 18:59
Regular
"Where's SR?"
I reported him for something he did in the WWF forum.

Anyway, I hope Pokemon Advance has something new. Maybe they should have more minigames to win pokemon as hunting for pokemon can get a little repetitive. They could also have tag team matches like on Stadium utilising the 4-player capabilities of the GBA. The improved move rules of G/S (no more endless wrapping) does make a difference. There are no real problems with the battle system that I noticed. Another improvement would to make character interaction better to create a more complete world and a better story.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.