GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Support experience..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/11/17 at 17:28
Regular
I need to put down in writing my experience regarding my current (and ongoing) support re. internet problems at my telephone number.
The background, which I think is relevant, is as follows:
I lost my telephone line capability on October 17th, which was the day the UK was hit by the tail-end of ex-hurricane “Ophelia”. My external telephone line runs from a bracket 7 or 8 metres up at the rear of the property, and runs over the roof of a building about 20 metres behind my property and across a narrow street to the BT telegraph pole. I had this line replaced about 7 or 8 years ago as it had been damaged by rubbing against the roof of that property, and it seems this was the cause of this recent problem, exacerbated by the high winds. While the phone line was down, I still had internet functionality – apparently this can happen if only one of the pair of wires supplying the signal is broken – although I had slower speeds and frequent dropouts, which I took to be due to the line being faulty.
Eventually, BT replaced the line (a month later, on November 17th, after a lot of back-and-forth regarding access to the line, the pole etc).
Since that point, I have contacted Freeola several (many) times as my internet connection has been absolutely atrocious, sometimes dropping out several times in an hour, sometimes going half a day without dropping out, and the speed has been terrible. I have done Freeola line speed checks and had speeds of around 8MBPS download and 700kBPS upload but sometimes down to less than 1MBPS download/5kBPS upload.
I have spoken, in this time, to I think two operatives at Freeola. One, (Op1), has been extremely helpful and accommodating and helped me through some scenarios to try to pin down where the issue lies. This included disconnecting everything from the main BT socket and connecting to the test socket and even led to me getting a brand-new modem to see if that could be the problem. In each case he has understood my frustration that this is still ongoing. The other operative (Op2), whose name I did not catch, has been almost the complete opposite in that I have been made to feel that I am either stupid, ignorant or even lying- for example, when I said I’d disconnected all the equipment on the test socket, he asked how I knew that the phone line was working in that case (obviously I’d reconnected the phone to confirm it was working, did a BT “quiet line” test and so on but disconnected it immediately afterwards).
All I can say is that I am prepared to concede that it is entirely coincidental that from the time the phone line went down and was replaced, my internet has been appalling, and that even the brand-new modem is coincidentally at fault, but I think that on balance the probability of a fault external to the property is the more likely scenario.
It may be that there is some internal cause but I have to reiterate that I am at the end of my tether on this. There is a fault – somewhere – and I need to work out where it is, but I do not have the knowledge, experience or training to pin it down, and would appreciate not being spoken to like an idiot in my ever-more frustrated efforts in working out what it is. How can I do this?
Mon 27/11/17 at 21:55
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Did someone say my name? :) Really sorry that you haven't had the service you should expect malc_p. I will try and look into this tomorrow and see where we are at and pass on your feedback regarding the support representatives. It does sound like a tricky problem to resolve but I will do my best. I haven't checked your account yet but I'm guessing your line is with another provider? If so, have they been chased after the line replacement to do a copper line test?
Mon 27/11/17 at 19:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sorry to read about your current problem :¬(

Freeola are usually spot-on with support and advice :¬) I can't help but maybe Eccles will see this post and delve a bit deeper.

Take care, but stick with Freeola ...
Mon 27/11/17 at 17:28
Regular
I need to put down in writing my experience regarding my current (and ongoing) support re. internet problems at my telephone number.
The background, which I think is relevant, is as follows:
I lost my telephone line capability on October 17th, which was the day the UK was hit by the tail-end of ex-hurricane “Ophelia”. My external telephone line runs from a bracket 7 or 8 metres up at the rear of the property, and runs over the roof of a building about 20 metres behind my property and across a narrow street to the BT telegraph pole. I had this line replaced about 7 or 8 years ago as it had been damaged by rubbing against the roof of that property, and it seems this was the cause of this recent problem, exacerbated by the high winds. While the phone line was down, I still had internet functionality – apparently this can happen if only one of the pair of wires supplying the signal is broken – although I had slower speeds and frequent dropouts, which I took to be due to the line being faulty.
Eventually, BT replaced the line (a month later, on November 17th, after a lot of back-and-forth regarding access to the line, the pole etc).
Since that point, I have contacted Freeola several (many) times as my internet connection has been absolutely atrocious, sometimes dropping out several times in an hour, sometimes going half a day without dropping out, and the speed has been terrible. I have done Freeola line speed checks and had speeds of around 8MBPS download and 700kBPS upload but sometimes down to less than 1MBPS download/5kBPS upload.
I have spoken, in this time, to I think two operatives at Freeola. One, (Op1), has been extremely helpful and accommodating and helped me through some scenarios to try to pin down where the issue lies. This included disconnecting everything from the main BT socket and connecting to the test socket and even led to me getting a brand-new modem to see if that could be the problem. In each case he has understood my frustration that this is still ongoing. The other operative (Op2), whose name I did not catch, has been almost the complete opposite in that I have been made to feel that I am either stupid, ignorant or even lying- for example, when I said I’d disconnected all the equipment on the test socket, he asked how I knew that the phone line was working in that case (obviously I’d reconnected the phone to confirm it was working, did a BT “quiet line” test and so on but disconnected it immediately afterwards).
All I can say is that I am prepared to concede that it is entirely coincidental that from the time the phone line went down and was replaced, my internet has been appalling, and that even the brand-new modem is coincidentally at fault, but I think that on balance the probability of a fault external to the property is the more likely scenario.
It may be that there is some internal cause but I have to reiterate that I am at the end of my tether on this. There is a fault – somewhere – and I need to work out where it is, but I do not have the knowledge, experience or training to pin it down, and would appreciate not being spoken to like an idiot in my ever-more frustrated efforts in working out what it is. How can I do this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.