GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Worms W.M.D. Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/09/16 at 08:16
"possibly impossible"
Can you believe it’s been 21 years since those crazy worms started their battling? I still remember the calls of ‘incoming!’ from the first game as if it were yesterday.

Of course, there have been plenty of sequels and Team 17 have always tried to add something new, even going as far as an ill-fated 3D version (though I still have a soft spot for Worms Forts), but W.M.D. really does feel like the best of both worlds; the old and the new.

Going Old School
At its most basic, Worms W.M.D. is pure old school turn based combat with the same crazy weapons. Each team has a set amount of worms at their disposal and each worm takes a turn to move and fire, all set against a ticking time limit. Weapons are available from the off, but you can also add to your arsenal by picking up crates dotted around the landscape.

Add in some wonderful hand drawn art, a few new features such as crafting and mechs (yes, really, they get to drive huge robots!), but all tastefully done, and you have a fully up-to-date classic.

Crafty!
Crafting is the biggest new addition and can take place at any time during the game. Players will need to find parts dotted around the landscape to build the devastating weapons, but it’s well worth it for the resulting destruction they provide. They're not always easily found, either, leading to a choice of making a move on the opposing team verses finding parts for the weapon.

Likewise, the vehicles, from tanks to mechs, can be a game changer. Each has a powerful weapon or feature that can turn the tide in a battle. Thankfully, they’re limited in their availability, so getting one feels like a treat. It's really an extension to the Airstrikes that have been in the game since the first one, though you do have direct control over the vehicles. The chopper is the hardest to control but can also do some pretty impressive damage, while the tank and Mech can jump over obstacles and make large holes in the ground as an alternative to digging.

Down the Co-op
Single screen co-op is still my favourite mode and a reason in itself for these games to exist. Passing a controller negates the issue of not having multiple gamepads, especially when the hardware is so expensive these days, though you can choose either option. Team 17 have had many years to practice their multiplayer skills and it shows, the online multiplayer games run smoothly and I had no issue finding a game. Options can be tweaked to your liking, too, so there are plenty of different ways to play online.

It’s only the occasional camera issue during the impressive destruction that can let the side down and a few niggles with over-sensitive controls when aiming a weapon to fire, especially as the timer ticks down to zero on your go. There are a couple of different settings for controls, though, so there’s the chance of finding one that works better, but I found both of them had their pros and cons.

The Worm Turns
Many Worms fans talk about Armageddon as the high point in the series history and later games just being a disappointment, but for my money, W.M.D. is on a par with the best Worms game out there and the fact that it’s on current generation consoles is a big plus.

8/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 20/09/16 at 08:16
"possibly impossible"
Can you believe it’s been 21 years since those crazy worms started their battling? I still remember the calls of ‘incoming!’ from the first game as if it were yesterday.

Of course, there have been plenty of sequels and Team 17 have always tried to add something new, even going as far as an ill-fated 3D version (though I still have a soft spot for Worms Forts), but W.M.D. really does feel like the best of both worlds; the old and the new.

Going Old School
At its most basic, Worms W.M.D. is pure old school turn based combat with the same crazy weapons. Each team has a set amount of worms at their disposal and each worm takes a turn to move and fire, all set against a ticking time limit. Weapons are available from the off, but you can also add to your arsenal by picking up crates dotted around the landscape.

Add in some wonderful hand drawn art, a few new features such as crafting and mechs (yes, really, they get to drive huge robots!), but all tastefully done, and you have a fully up-to-date classic.

Crafty!
Crafting is the biggest new addition and can take place at any time during the game. Players will need to find parts dotted around the landscape to build the devastating weapons, but it’s well worth it for the resulting destruction they provide. They're not always easily found, either, leading to a choice of making a move on the opposing team verses finding parts for the weapon.

Likewise, the vehicles, from tanks to mechs, can be a game changer. Each has a powerful weapon or feature that can turn the tide in a battle. Thankfully, they’re limited in their availability, so getting one feels like a treat. It's really an extension to the Airstrikes that have been in the game since the first one, though you do have direct control over the vehicles. The chopper is the hardest to control but can also do some pretty impressive damage, while the tank and Mech can jump over obstacles and make large holes in the ground as an alternative to digging.

Down the Co-op
Single screen co-op is still my favourite mode and a reason in itself for these games to exist. Passing a controller negates the issue of not having multiple gamepads, especially when the hardware is so expensive these days, though you can choose either option. Team 17 have had many years to practice their multiplayer skills and it shows, the online multiplayer games run smoothly and I had no issue finding a game. Options can be tweaked to your liking, too, so there are plenty of different ways to play online.

It’s only the occasional camera issue during the impressive destruction that can let the side down and a few niggles with over-sensitive controls when aiming a weapon to fire, especially as the timer ticks down to zero on your go. There are a couple of different settings for controls, though, so there’s the chance of finding one that works better, but I found both of them had their pros and cons.

The Worm Turns
Many Worms fans talk about Armageddon as the high point in the series history and later games just being a disappointment, but for my money, W.M.D. is on a par with the best Worms game out there and the fact that it’s on current generation consoles is a big plus.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.