GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/05/16 at 00:19
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Everyone knows about Doom, whether they've played it or not, it was a turning point for gaming that brought the first person shooter into it's own with a bright splash of pixellated blood; not the first, but certainly the most memorable, it refused to shy away from the brutality, violence and horror that have since become the trademark of many top games of the genre.

The first two iterations relied almost solely on pace; move or die was pretty much the order of the day, with a liberal sprinkling of standard fare platforming, secrets and hidden areas, diabolical puzzles and power ups adding some meat to an otherwise lean gaming mechanic, but it was the fiendish level design that made the games truly shine. Often you'd find yourself wandering the same areas, getting lost, backtracking several times before coming across the level exit.

The third outing was a departure. Splitting opinions with a slower, more cerebral approach, Doom 3 pushed for scares with darker, more claustrophobic areas and ducts and bigger, badder demons. It also had a proper story, told via some top quality cut sequences and a host of collectable video and audio discs. Despite it's mixed reception, it should be noted that once again the Doom series was pushing boundaries; movie quality scripting and sound and first class animation, lighting and visuals set this game years ahead of it's rivals.

So what do we get with the fourth?

Bleeding edge...

No pun intended. The Doom graphics engine (Tech 6) is a feat of epic proportions. Environments are detailed, pin sharp and infested with loose debris, smoke, fog, heatwaves, ambient lighting and rich textures, and all with the lowest system overhead I've ever seen. Vulkan, the newly revised OpenGL replacement, produces fluid, flawless results with the minimum of impact on your hardware, allowing for some truly impressive effects without slowing the action.

Character design is equally impressive, the demons displaying qualities proportionate to their weight and size; bulky, bloated demons will lumber and shuffle, hammering away at you with ranged weapons, while agile imps scale walls and leap forward, hurling fire before slashing and biting close range. Learning your enemy is your first, and possibly your most important lesson.

Fast and furious...

Lockdown. This is the repeated mechanic that signals a demon infestation, and you're not getting out until it's cleared. It's not hard to get to grips with; disable the portals, kill everything that moves. Run, jump, climb, shoot, punch and generally destroy as fast as you can. There's no cover, you can't hide and if you get cornered, you're dead meat. Your favourite move should be to shoot on the hoof, then finish your target with a swift kick or punch, conserving your scant ammo and generating some much needed health. "Glory Kills" are your way forward.

Rather cleverly, outside areas (yes, you get to traverse some seriously large areas of the Mars surface) leave you feeling very exposed, despite their fairly linear approach. We'll put that down to clever level design.

Platform shoes...

Better get ready to take some risks. Some of the juiciest upgrades and power ups are shelved away at the top of some insane climbs where you'll need to negotiate moving platforms, tiny ledges and well-timed trots across spaces inhabited by moving heavy machinery. Later in the game you'll acquire some upgraded boots that permit a kind of double jump, increasing your range and mobility. Remember though, the more mobile you are, the more deadly the demons become (cue the Revenant!). Time to pick up the pace...

Close the book...

Story? What story?
It's kind of there, but not...

Story elements are really used for the sole purpose of directing you through the next level. Destroy the argent reactor? Okay, sure. I'll just clear this area of demons first. Reset the satellite array? No problem, I'll just shoot these gribblies with my shotgun on the way. It's a story of sorts, but really it's more about giving you a different reason to rinse and repeat.

Not that it matters...

Does my bum look big in this?

We've had two decades of ever-increasing realism in FPS games; animated reloads, animated upgrading, realistic medical action, in fact any aspect that could be added as a feature for immersion has been, often to great effect. Doom shuns this approach completely, paring away everything it can in favour of speed and fluidity. There's no reloading, picking up med-packs or collecting ammo canisters, you simply walk over them, you either have ammo or you don't. In fact, the only points at which you even pause are when you collect suit or weapon upgrades, or when you're levering open a doorway or activating a console. Slim, sleek, almost simplistic in nature, it leaves you free to face your demons head on.

Hello old friend...

...in pretty much every sense. Run and gun is back with a vengeance, a truly old school FPS with a brand new shiny skin. Shotguns, chainsaws and the notorious BFG, blood, violence and a lone marine. What more could you ask for?

Is it better than the first?
Yes... no... maybe...

Is it worth playing?
Yes, yes, yes!

10/10
Fri 20/05/16 at 11:22
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
I honestly don't think I've looked at the map more than a handful of times. Far too busy running around shooting stuff to be looking at maps!

Me, also :¬) However, the occasional glimpse, especially when 'lost', finding 4 Gore Nests and 2 Key Cards and 3 Argent Stations, proves useless.
Fri 20/05/16 at 10:51
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
A pretty fair review of Doom chas, enjoyed reading it.

One thing you didn't mention is 'The Map', which personally, I find a 'pain' ... bad design and totally useless for regular use, ok for the odd glimpse of Collectables, Praetor Guards etc etc.

Personally, I found the compass at the top of your HUD better for completing a level.

I honestly don't think I've looked at the map more than a handful of times. Far too busy running around shooting stuff to be looking at maps!
Fri 20/05/16 at 10:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A pretty fair review of Doom chas, enjoyed reading it.

One thing you didn't mention is 'The Map', which personally, I find a 'pain' ... bad design and totally useless for regular use, ok for the odd glimpse of Collectables, Praetor Guards etc etc.

Personally, I found the compass at the top of your HUD better for completing a level.
Fri 20/05/16 at 00:19
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Everyone knows about Doom, whether they've played it or not, it was a turning point for gaming that brought the first person shooter into it's own with a bright splash of pixellated blood; not the first, but certainly the most memorable, it refused to shy away from the brutality, violence and horror that have since become the trademark of many top games of the genre.

The first two iterations relied almost solely on pace; move or die was pretty much the order of the day, with a liberal sprinkling of standard fare platforming, secrets and hidden areas, diabolical puzzles and power ups adding some meat to an otherwise lean gaming mechanic, but it was the fiendish level design that made the games truly shine. Often you'd find yourself wandering the same areas, getting lost, backtracking several times before coming across the level exit.

The third outing was a departure. Splitting opinions with a slower, more cerebral approach, Doom 3 pushed for scares with darker, more claustrophobic areas and ducts and bigger, badder demons. It also had a proper story, told via some top quality cut sequences and a host of collectable video and audio discs. Despite it's mixed reception, it should be noted that once again the Doom series was pushing boundaries; movie quality scripting and sound and first class animation, lighting and visuals set this game years ahead of it's rivals.

So what do we get with the fourth?

Bleeding edge...

No pun intended. The Doom graphics engine (Tech 6) is a feat of epic proportions. Environments are detailed, pin sharp and infested with loose debris, smoke, fog, heatwaves, ambient lighting and rich textures, and all with the lowest system overhead I've ever seen. Vulkan, the newly revised OpenGL replacement, produces fluid, flawless results with the minimum of impact on your hardware, allowing for some truly impressive effects without slowing the action.

Character design is equally impressive, the demons displaying qualities proportionate to their weight and size; bulky, bloated demons will lumber and shuffle, hammering away at you with ranged weapons, while agile imps scale walls and leap forward, hurling fire before slashing and biting close range. Learning your enemy is your first, and possibly your most important lesson.

Fast and furious...

Lockdown. This is the repeated mechanic that signals a demon infestation, and you're not getting out until it's cleared. It's not hard to get to grips with; disable the portals, kill everything that moves. Run, jump, climb, shoot, punch and generally destroy as fast as you can. There's no cover, you can't hide and if you get cornered, you're dead meat. Your favourite move should be to shoot on the hoof, then finish your target with a swift kick or punch, conserving your scant ammo and generating some much needed health. "Glory Kills" are your way forward.

Rather cleverly, outside areas (yes, you get to traverse some seriously large areas of the Mars surface) leave you feeling very exposed, despite their fairly linear approach. We'll put that down to clever level design.

Platform shoes...

Better get ready to take some risks. Some of the juiciest upgrades and power ups are shelved away at the top of some insane climbs where you'll need to negotiate moving platforms, tiny ledges and well-timed trots across spaces inhabited by moving heavy machinery. Later in the game you'll acquire some upgraded boots that permit a kind of double jump, increasing your range and mobility. Remember though, the more mobile you are, the more deadly the demons become (cue the Revenant!). Time to pick up the pace...

Close the book...

Story? What story?
It's kind of there, but not...

Story elements are really used for the sole purpose of directing you through the next level. Destroy the argent reactor? Okay, sure. I'll just clear this area of demons first. Reset the satellite array? No problem, I'll just shoot these gribblies with my shotgun on the way. It's a story of sorts, but really it's more about giving you a different reason to rinse and repeat.

Not that it matters...

Does my bum look big in this?

We've had two decades of ever-increasing realism in FPS games; animated reloads, animated upgrading, realistic medical action, in fact any aspect that could be added as a feature for immersion has been, often to great effect. Doom shuns this approach completely, paring away everything it can in favour of speed and fluidity. There's no reloading, picking up med-packs or collecting ammo canisters, you simply walk over them, you either have ammo or you don't. In fact, the only points at which you even pause are when you collect suit or weapon upgrades, or when you're levering open a doorway or activating a console. Slim, sleek, almost simplistic in nature, it leaves you free to face your demons head on.

Hello old friend...

...in pretty much every sense. Run and gun is back with a vengeance, a truly old school FPS with a brand new shiny skin. Shotguns, chainsaws and the notorious BFG, blood, violence and a lone marine. What more could you ask for?

Is it better than the first?
Yes... no... maybe...

Is it worth playing?
Yes, yes, yes!

10/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.