GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"gamecube why its better then the others"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 15:42
Regular
Inside The Console: Why Buy A Gamecube?
Gamecube is undoubtably going to be the number one next generation console, when it’s released in UK. Sure, PS2 can play DVD’s, X-box has a hard drive, but Gamecube is the only one which puts all it’s energy into gameplay, and so makes it cheap, fast, and fun. This page will detail what will make Gamecube the sure-fire winner of the X-box vs PS2 vs GC console war.

1. Power

Gamecube is over twice as powerful as PS2, despite the fact that most shops say PS2 can handle 75million polygons per sec, and GC only 12-15 million. The figures are misleading, because the Gamecube figure is for in game situations, with al, effects and lighting all being calculated. The PS2’s in game polygon figures come in between 3-6 million polygons. X-box again has huge figures (100 million+) but these are clearly ridiculous. When changed into in-game sums, it comes in just above Gamecube’s figures, but Gamcube’s graphics still even, if not better, that of Microsoft’s black box of tricks. This is because Gamecube’s graphics chip has thousands of built in effects, e.g. an X-box developer would have to spend a few days, if he wanted to insert a coloured light source into a game, but a GC developer would only have to flick a switch.

2. Price

Nintendo have obviously realised that the N64’s major downfall was it’s steep prices, for both the console and it’s games. So, they’ve made Gamecube cheap - the rrp is £150, but expect retailers to pop on at least a tenner.

3.Games

Nintendo have the best exclusive game developers - Rare - who brilliantly make many different types of games - FPS Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, RAC Diddy Kong Racing, PLATFORMERS Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, BEATEMUP Killer Instinct Adventure Jet Force Jemini - and so the list continues. They also have Shigsy and co, the people behind the world agreed ‘best games ever’ Mario 64, and Zelda: OOT. Also, unlike the N64, Gamecube has huge third party support. No worries here then...

4. Controller

The PSX controller was a great little thing, but Sony being Sony (a company who are only in the games industry to make money) decided to keep the same controller for the PS2. Sure it makes it easier to pick up, but it’s boring, and unrevolutionary. X-box’s monstrosity of a controller was recently, and acurately reviewed by an independant, multiformat magazine. In it, they say: ‘it’s like trying to play a game with a dinner plate.’ So X-box is worse than PS2. That just leaves Gamecube, which in the same magaine is described as the most comfy, stylish, and well designed pad ever. Any they’re not joking. It spent over a year in development, and is now so perfect and comfortable, you almost forget that it’s in you’re hands.

5. Overall

If it’s pure Gaming quality you want, the Gamecube has to be your first choice. If however, you want console that forgets gameplay, and replaces it with DVD playback, PS2 is your box. But finally, if you want an over priced piece of crap, that thinks it’s a PC, then go out and buy an X-box.
Sun 14/04/02 at 15:38
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Phi1ip wrote :

>With the prices, the XBOX I'm not gonna mention but the PS2 and Gamecube have roughly the same prices now so it doesn't mean that people are going to flock to the Gamecube because of it's cheap prices. The game prices are roughly the same as the N64.

Let me look back in time for a second *looks behind him for a second* that's right Turok was £70 when it first came out, isn't that about, oh, £30 more than you have to pay for a GC game? I paid £55 for Killer Instict Gold (which wasn't great) so I do for some reason think the GC games are cheaper than the N64 ones.

As for games the GameCube has about 4 amazing games on the launch day, 2 to follow in the next month then in the summer Resi Evil hopefully followed closely by Mario Sunshine and the rest like Metroid Prime, Starfox anbd Eternal Darkness will just be around the corner. The X-Box has Halo, that's it. The PS2 has MGS2, Tekken Tag, GTA 3, again that's about it in the amazing games department, which, for the PS2, is about the size of a Broom-Cupboard.

The X-Box controller is a bit like a 6 tonne block of jelly (brussel sproat flavour), not really that useful, it weighs you down, isn't nice at all. and a bit of an eyesore.
Sun 14/04/02 at 00:21
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Gamecube's better than the others because it has Mario on it!

nuff said!

:)
Sat 13/04/02 at 23:55
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
cookie monster wrote:

> Are you not aware that you can lift the controller OUT of the thick
> metal tubing, allowing you to hold the controller at any angle you
> please?

O good, I thought I'd broken it, thats why I quickly ran away and havn't played an XBOX since!
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:37
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Phi11ip wrote:
> I really don't know why people say the XBOX has a rubbish controller.
> It may be big but it isn't too big, the only reason it's difficult to
> use is the pods for the XBOX seem to hold the controllers at a really
> dodgy angle and it makes it harder to play.

Are you not aware that you can lift the controller OUT of the thick metal tubing, allowing you to hold the controller at any angle you please?
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:33
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
think-

you can get 2 GCs into the space a PS2 taje up and 3 into the space taken up by an Xbox. Now if you multiply the power f the Gamecube by 3 then you get an idea of how good it is.

The power to size ration for the GC is VERY good. :)

can;t write more cos im sleepy from paintballing

:-)
Sat 13/04/02 at 21:31
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
But surely having pods as widespread as Xbox would increse sales. If I saw a cube and got to play one then I would think about buying one.

But typical Nintendo, good offer on the console but they kill you on the pods!
Sat 13/04/02 at 19:41
Regular
Most Toys'r'us shops have got Gamecube pods.

Nintendo say that they have already got 25000+ preorders for the console anyway...so it dont really matter. They are expecting that figure to reach 50,000 by launch.
Sat 13/04/02 at 19:03
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I was just going to comment on your remark about Gamecube pods.

Microsoft and Sony gave their pods for free, but APPARENTLY Nintendo are charging a hefty sum for each of the pods, so few shops will buy them!

Hope i helped

PH
Sat 13/04/02 at 18:22
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I really don't know why people say the XBOX has a rubbish controller. It may be big but it isn't too big, the only reason it's difficult to use is the pods for the XBOX seem to hold the controllers at a really dodgy angle and it makes it harder to play.

With the prices, the XBOX I'm not gonna mention but the PS2 and Gamecube have roughly the same prices now so it doesn't mean that people are going to flock to the Gamecube because of it's cheap prices. The game prices are roughly the same as the N64.

Other games make good games, Rare isn't the only company to make good games so this doesn't mean that all games on the Cube will be great and there won't be any more good games on other consoles.

The PS2 having the same controller is a great idea, it means that people with PS1 controllers will be tempted into buying the PS2 because they can use the same controllers and PS1 games work on one unit. That was a very good idea as people will want a console that can play new and old games. I've also heard that the GC controller isn't ~that~ amazing.

I really can't see the GC being a giant hit as many people are saying. It will do well but it will never be able to catch up the sales of the PS1 and PS2.

By the way, where are all the GC pods in the shops? By this time before the XBOX release date there were pods all over the place. Nintendo need to show people what they are buying!
Sat 13/04/02 at 17:34
Regular
"That's right!"
RM18 wrote:
> Anyone seen those cool countdown clocks till 'Cubes release date?

---------

The what?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.