GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"gamecube why its better then the others"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 15:42
Regular
Inside The Console: Why Buy A Gamecube?
Gamecube is undoubtably going to be the number one next generation console, when it’s released in UK. Sure, PS2 can play DVD’s, X-box has a hard drive, but Gamecube is the only one which puts all it’s energy into gameplay, and so makes it cheap, fast, and fun. This page will detail what will make Gamecube the sure-fire winner of the X-box vs PS2 vs GC console war.

1. Power

Gamecube is over twice as powerful as PS2, despite the fact that most shops say PS2 can handle 75million polygons per sec, and GC only 12-15 million. The figures are misleading, because the Gamecube figure is for in game situations, with al, effects and lighting all being calculated. The PS2’s in game polygon figures come in between 3-6 million polygons. X-box again has huge figures (100 million+) but these are clearly ridiculous. When changed into in-game sums, it comes in just above Gamecube’s figures, but Gamcube’s graphics still even, if not better, that of Microsoft’s black box of tricks. This is because Gamecube’s graphics chip has thousands of built in effects, e.g. an X-box developer would have to spend a few days, if he wanted to insert a coloured light source into a game, but a GC developer would only have to flick a switch.

2. Price

Nintendo have obviously realised that the N64’s major downfall was it’s steep prices, for both the console and it’s games. So, they’ve made Gamecube cheap - the rrp is £150, but expect retailers to pop on at least a tenner.

3.Games

Nintendo have the best exclusive game developers - Rare - who brilliantly make many different types of games - FPS Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, RAC Diddy Kong Racing, PLATFORMERS Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, BEATEMUP Killer Instinct Adventure Jet Force Jemini - and so the list continues. They also have Shigsy and co, the people behind the world agreed ‘best games ever’ Mario 64, and Zelda: OOT. Also, unlike the N64, Gamecube has huge third party support. No worries here then...

4. Controller

The PSX controller was a great little thing, but Sony being Sony (a company who are only in the games industry to make money) decided to keep the same controller for the PS2. Sure it makes it easier to pick up, but it’s boring, and unrevolutionary. X-box’s monstrosity of a controller was recently, and acurately reviewed by an independant, multiformat magazine. In it, they say: ‘it’s like trying to play a game with a dinner plate.’ So X-box is worse than PS2. That just leaves Gamecube, which in the same magaine is described as the most comfy, stylish, and well designed pad ever. Any they’re not joking. It spent over a year in development, and is now so perfect and comfortable, you almost forget that it’s in you’re hands.

5. Overall

If it’s pure Gaming quality you want, the Gamecube has to be your first choice. If however, you want console that forgets gameplay, and replaces it with DVD playback, PS2 is your box. But finally, if you want an over priced piece of crap, that thinks it’s a PC, then go out and buy an X-box.
Tue 16/04/02 at 11:24
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
actually using its natural compression method the gc disc can hold 2gb, but comparing this to ps2 is misleading as there isnt any game except final fantasy X that has used 3gig let alone the full allowance. In theory Xbox however with its dual scan thingy could hold the full 17.5gb of a dvd but wether the drives are good enough to go that far into the disc is a mystery, anyway good post and wooden monkeys!
Tue 16/04/02 at 00:28
"High polygon count"
Thank you!

;-p
Tue 16/04/02 at 00:03
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
good post.
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:58
"High polygon count"
Gnome_Killer44 wrote:
> the GC disc holds 1.5 GB which is 2.5x more
> than a PS2 disc holds.

You're thinking of CD's.

Most PS2 games now use DVD-ROM, which can hold up to 4.7Gb on a single-sided, dual-layer disc.
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:56
"High polygon count"
Actually, PS2's in-game polygon count is around the 20 million mark, but never mind.
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:52
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Gnomekiller....
Firstly, you are a mug... you bought games that cost £70 and then complain about them being expensive!
Secondly, GC games are all about £38 which is roughly the same amount as most N64 games. Unless you only believe in buying games that are over £50, I suppose you bought Pokemon stadium too?

P.S It costs £15 now!
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:23
Did i miss something? Is console wars still on? Or is it newbies?

I like gamecube more and have oredered a gamecube but must admit the xobox is better.
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:08
Regular
"Great Gameplay =Fun"
am not being funny but do u think i type all that i copyed it off a web site and my cousin who works with stuff like that says it is true i did't believe it at 1st but yes it is all true

p.s. oohhh yaaaa gamecube rules
Sun 14/04/02 at 21:10
Regular
"Link to the Future"
MiserableMan wrote:

>You don't know what you're talking about. The GameCube is all about power and cost-efficiency, nothing to do with inbuilt special effects. That's not to say it doesn't have hardware support for a multitude of effects, but so does Xbox. It is primarily Xbox/GC support for anti-aliasing that makes their graphics look so much better than the PS2, not any superior polygon pushing power

Have you seen the number of things the GC Flipper switch can do with textures, it's a pretty impressive thing. It was used quite a bit by Rouge Leader but the team behind it said they would like to use it even more than they did this time next time. I'd really like to see that! This switch can push through 2.6 GB of data a second which is a damn lot thinking that the GC disc holds 1.5 GB which is 2.5x more than a PS2 disc holds.
Sun 14/04/02 at 19:18
Regular
"bing bang bong"
> 1. Power
>
> Gamecube is over twice as powerful as PS2, despite the fact that most
> shops say PS2 can handle 75million polygons per sec, and GC only 12-15
> million. The figures are misleading, because the Gamecube figure is
> for in game situations, with al, effects and lighting all being
> calculated. The PS2’s in game polygon figures come in between 3-6
> million polygons. X-box again has huge figures (100 million+) but
> these are clearly ridiculous. When changed into in-game sums, it comes
> in just above Gamecube’s figures, but Gamcube’s graphics still even,
> if not better, that of Microsoft’s black box of tricks. This is
> because Gamecube’s graphics chip has thousands of built in effects,
> e.g. an X-box developer would have to spend a few days, if he wanted
> to insert a coloured light source into a game, but a GC developer
> would only have to flick a switch.

You don't know what you're talking about. The GameCube is all about power and cost-efficiency, nothing to do with inbuilt special effects. That's not to say it doesn't have hardware support for a multitude of effects, but so does Xbox. It is primarily Xbox/GC support for anti-aliasing that makes their graphics look so much better than the PS2, not any superior polygon pushing power

>
> 2. Price
>
> Nintendo have obviously realised that the N64’s major downfall was
> it’s steep prices, for both the console and it’s games. So, they’ve
> made Gamecube cheap - the rrp is £150, but expect retailers to
> pop on at least a tenner.

After I got bored of my N64 I invested in a DreamCast when they started going cheap, and I'm not sure I can stomach paying £40 a game any more. Top DreamCast games sell for as little as a tenner now, I'm living the good life, lapping up the classics, and it will take a superb Mario/Zelda conversion to draw my attention away from my little white wonder. Here's to waiting.

> 3.Games
>
> Nintendo have the best exclusive game developers - Rare - who
> brilliantly make many different types of games - FPS Perfect Dark,
> Goldeneye, RAC Diddy Kong Racing, PLATFORMERS Banjo Kazooie, Banjo
> Tooie, Donkey Kong, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, BEATEMUP Killer Instinct
> Adventure Jet Force Jemini - and so the list continues. They also have
> Shigsy and co, the people behind the world agreed ‘best games ever’
> Mario 64, and Zelda: OOT. Also, unlike the N64, Gamecube has huge
> third party support. No worries here then...

Yeh, but the games seem to be rolling in about as thinly as they did with the N64, and look how hard that died on its backside. I'd love to see the thing succeed, but I don't see the army of games it will require rolling down the hill towards me.

> 4. Controller
>
> The PSX controller was a great little thing, but Sony being Sony (a
> company who are only in the games industry to make money) decided to
> keep the same controller for the PS2. Sure it makes it easier to pick
> up, but it’s boring, and unrevolutionary. X-box’s monstrosity of a
> controller was recently, and acurately reviewed by an independant,
> multiformat magazine. In it, they say: ‘it’s like trying to play a
> game with a dinner plate.’ So X-box is worse than PS2. That just
> leaves Gamecube, which in the same magaine is described as the most
> comfy, stylish, and well designed pad ever. Any they’re not joking. It
> spent over a year in development, and is now so perfect and
> comfortable, you almost forget that it’s in you’re hands.

The Xbox and PS2 controllers are underrated - they're fine for the most part, although I concede it's unlikely the GameCubes controller won't be the best (I've yet to hold one).

> 5. Overall
>
> If it’s pure Gaming quality you want, the Gamecube has to be your
> first choice. If however, you want console that forgets gameplay, and
> replaces it with DVD playback, PS2 is your box. But finally, if you
> want an over priced piece of crap, that thinks it’s a PC, then go out
> and buy an X-box.

If the GameCube succeeds, it will be down to savagely outpricing the Xbox (Microsofts wonder has so many tricks inside, it will be difficult for them to discount it further - they already lose a fortune on each one they sell) and outgaming the PS2. I am convinced it can do the former, but I don't expect its gaming record to surpass that of the N64, and that came a dismal second to the Playstation. Much as I loathe it, the PS2 is going to win this...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.