GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's a Rare experiance!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 15:26
Regular
I had this long discussion with some guy in the games industry yesterday. He use to work for Rare and knows what he's talking about.

Right. Here's what I've got to say on the recent rumours regarding this Activision milarky.

Well for starters I'll state that I'm not sure whether or not Activision have bought out Rare or not. May have some more news next week regarding this, if it hasn't already been officially announced or “denied”! But I'm going to tell you why I'm no longer saying "Of course they haven't! Rare are in bed with Nintendo! Best palls! etc"

Well I found out it is actually TRUE that Rare have been looking into going multi platform for some time! A while back some changes went on at NOA (Nintendo of America), and ever since Rare have not been getting along as well as they once were with NOA! Rare work kind of like Nintendo use to. The games finished when it's finished approach to releasing their games. But Nintendo has now changed over to this shorter game, but more frequent policy. Where a game should not take longer than say two years to complete. But Rare still prefer the approach of a game being finished when it's finished. Not creating smaller games just so you can get more of them out. This is just one of the things that is wrong at the moment.

Another point I'd like to make is that Rare would quite like to go multi because just think how much more money they'd make. Take Acclaim for example. They're releasing Turok Evolution on every possible platform. The games looking pretty sweet, so most people who own each platform are going to buy it. This equals MASSIVE sales, thus MASSIVE amounts of money. But if they were to just release it on one console then they're not going to make half as much money. And so, if Rare who have a VERY credible reputation were to release, say Perfect Dark 2 on EVERY platform, then they're going to make LOADS of money because everyone would want it! I believe that Rare maybe starting to think this way!

Many people have said that Rare needs Nintendo because they use Nintendo's characters! Well the only characters Rare use are the Star Fox team, and "Donkey Kong". Starfox Adventures would have been just as popular without the Star Fox characters. Remember the game was originally developed as Dinosaur Planet without those characters, and people were really excited about it back then. The game could EASILY sell well without the Nintendo characters.
You may be wondering why I put Donkey Kong in inverted commas. Well when Rare took on Donkey Kong from Nintendo to create Donkey Kong Country all those years ago, a deal was signed which said that any additional characters created were then owned by "Rare"! What does this mean? Well if Rare were to go multi platform, then their legally allowed to go and create Diddy Kong Racing 2 and release it on X-Box if they so wished!

The reason most people want to deny these rumours is because like me their die-hard Nintendo fans and don’t want to see Nintendo loose their greatest second party developer to other consoles. I have the utmost respect for Rare and I really want to work for them in the future. And I use to really want to work solely on Nintendo games. That’s why I was also one who thought I DON’T want this to happen. But I’ve thought about this a lot. Would it really be that bad for Rare to go multi? The games industry at the moment isn’t really in the most pleasant of states. Companies are being forced to close down or be bought out because they can’t keep up with the big players and their generic @#&% games they keep coming out with! The time of small companies producing successful games is getting less and less. So am I being selfish in wanting Rare to be solely committed to Nintendo? It’s a tuff choice. I personally still believe that Nintendo create the best consoles and controllers etc and so I REALLY want to see them do well, and not go under like Sega has. But I believe Rare maybe getting pulled back. If they went multi and released a VERY popular games (how could they not?) across ALL platforms, then that would make them a LOT of money. More money leads to more funds. More funds lead to expansion. Expansion means that Rare will be able to create even more of their CLASSIC games more often. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! It’d be great! So why should we hold Rare back? Would it be so bad to let them go multi?

I’ll leave it there because I’ve got some work to get done now. Post your thoughts, comments, and I’ll make some more comments.

:)
Sat 13/04/02 at 15:26
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I had this long discussion with some guy in the games industry yesterday. He use to work for Rare and knows what he's talking about.

Right. Here's what I've got to say on the recent rumours regarding this Activision milarky.

Well for starters I'll state that I'm not sure whether or not Activision have bought out Rare or not. May have some more news next week regarding this, if it hasn't already been officially announced or “denied”! But I'm going to tell you why I'm no longer saying "Of course they haven't! Rare are in bed with Nintendo! Best palls! etc"

Well I found out it is actually TRUE that Rare have been looking into going multi platform for some time! A while back some changes went on at NOA (Nintendo of America), and ever since Rare have not been getting along as well as they once were with NOA! Rare work kind of like Nintendo use to. The games finished when it's finished approach to releasing their games. But Nintendo has now changed over to this shorter game, but more frequent policy. Where a game should not take longer than say two years to complete. But Rare still prefer the approach of a game being finished when it's finished. Not creating smaller games just so you can get more of them out. This is just one of the things that is wrong at the moment.

Another point I'd like to make is that Rare would quite like to go multi because just think how much more money they'd make. Take Acclaim for example. They're releasing Turok Evolution on every possible platform. The games looking pretty sweet, so most people who own each platform are going to buy it. This equals MASSIVE sales, thus MASSIVE amounts of money. But if they were to just release it on one console then they're not going to make half as much money. And so, if Rare who have a VERY credible reputation were to release, say Perfect Dark 2 on EVERY platform, then they're going to make LOADS of money because everyone would want it! I believe that Rare maybe starting to think this way!

Many people have said that Rare needs Nintendo because they use Nintendo's characters! Well the only characters Rare use are the Star Fox team, and "Donkey Kong". Starfox Adventures would have been just as popular without the Star Fox characters. Remember the game was originally developed as Dinosaur Planet without those characters, and people were really excited about it back then. The game could EASILY sell well without the Nintendo characters.
You may be wondering why I put Donkey Kong in inverted commas. Well when Rare took on Donkey Kong from Nintendo to create Donkey Kong Country all those years ago, a deal was signed which said that any additional characters created were then owned by "Rare"! What does this mean? Well if Rare were to go multi platform, then their legally allowed to go and create Diddy Kong Racing 2 and release it on X-Box if they so wished!

The reason most people want to deny these rumours is because like me their die-hard Nintendo fans and don’t want to see Nintendo loose their greatest second party developer to other consoles. I have the utmost respect for Rare and I really want to work for them in the future. And I use to really want to work solely on Nintendo games. That’s why I was also one who thought I DON’T want this to happen. But I’ve thought about this a lot. Would it really be that bad for Rare to go multi? The games industry at the moment isn’t really in the most pleasant of states. Companies are being forced to close down or be bought out because they can’t keep up with the big players and their generic @#&% games they keep coming out with! The time of small companies producing successful games is getting less and less. So am I being selfish in wanting Rare to be solely committed to Nintendo? It’s a tuff choice. I personally still believe that Nintendo create the best consoles and controllers etc and so I REALLY want to see them do well, and not go under like Sega has. But I believe Rare maybe getting pulled back. If they went multi and released a VERY popular games (how could they not?) across ALL platforms, then that would make them a LOT of money. More money leads to more funds. More funds lead to expansion. Expansion means that Rare will be able to create even more of their CLASSIC games more often. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! It’d be great! So why should we hold Rare back? Would it be so bad to let them go multi?

I’ll leave it there because I’ve got some work to get done now. Post your thoughts, comments, and I’ll make some more comments.

Sat 13/04/02 at 15:35
Regular
Interesting.

Out of nosey pokeyness, why did he leave Rare?
Sat 13/04/02 at 15:43
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I still am very wary of rumours such as these, they can often turn out to be a load of pap...

But anyway, on the question of Rare going multiformat, I wouldn't mind that much if they went multi format as long as they didn't start doing Xbox or PS2 only games. As long as all their games still come out on a Nintendo platform, and as long as the Nintendo machine doesn't get a shoddy conversion of the game (but I'd hope Rare would stick with developing games with Nintendo consoles in mind and then port the games to the other systems).

Rare would then get more money and could expand, obviously a good thing, but Rare have done incredibly well as it is, they don't NEED to go multi format to be a success.

Anyway, keep us posted on the Activision front, I don't reckon that it is true about Activision, but it may be about them going multi format...
To me the multi-format seems more likely than the Activision buy up...
Sat 13/04/02 at 16:07
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> Out of nosey pokeyness, why did he leave Rare?

To form his own company.

I've spoken to quite a few people who've been in the games industry. And they don't half try to put you off. It may sound cool and exciting, but when you start hearing about the 130 hr a week work hours, some people can't help but think, is this really the line of work I want to go into. Loads of my friends have decided that they don't really fancy going into the games industry anymore, cos it is more work than you first thought. Personally I'm still gonna get into the games industry. It's my dream, my life! I'm gonna get there! I'm still not certain as to whether or not programmings my thing, even though I continue to battle away at it, to try and learn it. I really want to get into design as I'm a creative person, and this bashin' in pages and pages of code, just isn't really that rewarding. Actually, I'm programming graphics at the moment, so by the time I've got it all done, it 'should' look pretty sweet. But I'd rather just use Max to do it, instead of programming all the blastard little triangles to make up a scene! erm... sorry for the deviation. Loads of people in the games industry leave after a while cos they just get burned out from all the work on a game. They then leave to do other things like, become uni lecturers, or form their own companies where they can just do what THEY want to do. Not have someone else forcing them to work into the ground to meet a deadline!

Now back to my particle system. Trying to get the things to collide with a surface. Nightmare! Narr probably not that bad. Just gotta be bothered to look at it fully!

Sat 13/04/02 at 16:10
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Cooky wrote:
> You may be wondering why I put Donkey Kong in inverted commas. Well
> when Rare took on Donkey Kong from Nintendo to create Donkey Kong
> Country all those years ago, a deal was signed which said that any
> additional characters created were then owned by "Rare"!
> What does this mean? Well if Rare were to go multi platform, then
> their legally allowed to go and create Diddy Kong Racing 2 and release
> it on X-Box if they so wished!
>
> The reason most people want to deny these rumours is because like me
> their die-hard Nintendo fans and don’t want to see Nintendo loose
> their greatest second party developer to other consoles.

Im sorry to say your wrong on this one. And I'll prove it to you.
Nintendo 'Owns' Diddy Kong, anything associated with Nintendos 'Donkey Kong' is OWNED by Nintendo- want the proof??
Here you go, this is a copy of the trademark of DIDDY KONG (Not Donkey)and the registered owner:

Trademark: DIDDY KONG
Applicant:
NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
4820 - 150TH AVENUE N.E.
REDMOND WA 98052

Registrant:
NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
4820 - 150TH AVENUE N.E.
REDMOND WA 98052

Last Owner:
NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
4820 - 150TH AVENUE N.E.
REDMOND, WA 98052

And the new GBA Game Diddy Kong Pilot (To prove that anything associated Donkey is owned by Nintendo):

Trademark: DIDDY KONG PILOT
Applicant:
NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
4820 - 150TH AVENUE NE
REDMOND WA 98052

Last Owner:
NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
4820 - 150TH AVENUE NE
REDMOND, WA 98052

I hope this clears it all up.
Sat 13/04/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Well that's what a guy who worked on the Donkey Kong Country games told me.

And what you state is pretty much the names of the games. Rare is part owned by Nintendo. Nintendo take care of all the licencing stuff no doubts for their games. The additional characters Rare invent can still be owned by Rare!

Sat 13/04/02 at 17:05
Regular
"Here I am - TAKE ME"
Cooky wrote:
> And what you state is pretty much the names of the games. Rare is
> part owned by Nintendo. Nintendo take care of all the licencing stuff
> no doubts for their games. The additional characters Rare invent can
> still be owned by Rare!

There's a difference between owning the character and trademark. As
Nintendo controls the trademark for Diddy Kong, as mentioned below, then they could make Rare's life hell should they go multi-format and try to bring out Diddy Kong painter or whatever on the PS2.
Sat 13/04/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
But they aren't, thats the point!
Joanna Dark, Conker, Kameo etc on the other hand are all Rare Trademarks not Nintendo, it is only with these characters that Rare can do what ever they like. Despite what you say or this 'Ex Rare-Personnel' says, ANYTHING associated with Donkey Kong is Strictly Nintendo owned. Look at the proof.
Sat 13/04/02 at 17:12
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
BTW,
I was referring to Cooky.
Sat 13/04/02 at 17:18
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
To be honest it's not worth arguing over. There's no way Rare would ever release a Kong character on any non Nintendo console anyway!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.