GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Email forwarding not happening"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/04/16 at 11:54
Regular
I've been using the email forwarding for a number of years now, for my domains hosted by freeola.

For the last 24 hours though, I have had no emails forwarded.

I've sent test ones through my domains, and also ones directly to my forwarded accounts, and all my domain ones have just vanished, somewhere inside Freeload I'm guessing as I've had no bounces.

Is there a problem with email forwarding at the moment?

Andrew.
Wed 27/04/16 at 18:35
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Sure, I'll try and explain it!

SRS is a way of rewriting the envelope sender (bounce address) address without breaking SPF (Sender Policy Framework).

Generally when forwarding mail, if the receiving mail server wishes to bounce the mail the sending mail server will bounce the message back to the original sender.
The trouble is that if the sending address has a strict (-all) SPF policy in place and the target (receiving) mail server chooses to enforce that policy the forwarded mail can be rejected, because the mail didn't come directly from that address. This looks like what BT's mail provider decided to do.

SRS allows us to work around this by creating a temporary bounce address that will allow mail to bounce back to the forwarding server. The SRS scheme then allows the forwarding server to extract the original envelope or bounce to address and send the mail back to that.

For an example see OPenSPF SRS
Wed 27/04/16 at 10:59
"Are you sure?"
Good stuff + lol :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT:
The 'return path' and 'sender address' in the email headers looks a bit strange where it uses 'biz'.
Can you explain how this works?

'myname'@freeola.biz

In the recent Freeola blog entry on Email Spoofing I commented about how to analyse/understand email headers so as to avoid getting caught out by malicious email. It would be good to understand what's normal/expected.

NB. Might be worth redirecting visitors to the biz URL to your .com?
Wed 27/04/16 at 10:28
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I can confirm that SRS is now in place and we can see mail being successfully forwarded to BT addresses.
Other improvements (and acronyms!) are also planned.
Tue 26/04/16 at 14:24
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
...We are investigating implementing SRS.

I get lost with some of these email techie bits! SRS, SPF, DKIM etc. I see that MyFreeola says SPF records are already in place by default.

Google's Gmail have recently (February 2016) started to show when they aren't happy with emails sent from unauthenticated domains!

I see a [b]?[/b] next to my email rather than the normal user icon/avatar. The ALT text is: Gmail couldn't verify that [my domain .co.uk] actually sent this message (and not a spammer).

Looking at Gmail today it looks (I'm still not sure) as if Google are only doing this for older emails so perhaps something has changed?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 21/04/16 at 19:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Way to go Eccles :¬)
Thu 21/04/16 at 18:58
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
For those wishing for a more technical answer this is likely to be the cause of the problem.

Does SPF break forwarding? Yes, but only if the receiver checks SPF without understanding their mail receiving architecture. If receivers are going to check SPF, they should whitelist forwarders that do not rewrite the sender address from SPF checks.

In a nutshell, BT's mail provider, CPCloud, has decided to do it the 'not quite right' way.
We are investigating implementing 'SRS'.
Thu 21/04/16 at 13:57
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
wrighar wrote:
BT said raise a ticket with Freeola..

Freeola said working on it, it's Freeola wide to BT.

Email came back for a day on Monday, but has gone again...

We certainly keep looking into this. Probably worth noting, we had a call from another email hosting company who are having exactly the same issue with BT...

Bottom line is it's not a "Freeola problem", this is affecting multiple providers (meaning it's distinctly a BT problem!). Nonetheless, we continue to investigate possible avenues to a resolution.
Thu 21/04/16 at 13:48
Regular
BT said raise a ticket with Freeola..

Freeola said working on it, it's Freeola wide to BT.

Email came back for a day on Monday, but has gone again...
Thu 21/04/16 at 08:51
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hi,
We've been trying to get an answer out of BT but nothing yet. 'Too many messages' is all their system says. They don't actually run their own email system, it is run by a third party.
We have some ideas what we can do from our end so hopefully we can get something sorted soon.
Sun 17/04/16 at 10:41
"Are you sure?"
Have you contacted BT? What was their response?

It might be worth raising a Freeola Support Ticket as well - or is it Freeola that have told you about BT rejecting mail?

If it's not going to be resolved quickly, if it was me I would add a second email account to the forwarding so that you don't miss any mail. I can recommend a Gmail account as this will also help on the spam front.

In theory I guess you could go on to forward emails from Gmail to BT, but this isn't an ideal fix.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.