GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Domain Verification: DNS servers are not pointed to ns3.freeola.net "

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/09/15 at 23:00
Regular
Hosting is set-up for your domain but the DNS servers are not pointed to ns3.freeola.net and ns4.freeola.net. As such your website and/or your emails won't work.

This keeps changing to a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1442841429 1800 900 604800 86400

Any help much appreciated. Thanks
Fri 09/10/15 at 14:34
"Are you sure?"
Just registered another batch of domains (normal .com and co.uk).

FYI The verification pages displayed the following which looks like it needs tweaking:

Please verify your contact information
verification_custom_text_footer

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 02/10/15 at 18:01
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles,
I'll sort out an email account and raise a ticket.

Hopefully you've also taken my comments on aboard about letting people know when they register a domain about what will happen with the email address they provide?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 02/10/15 at 17:55
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Yes please send in a support ticket and we can change registrant e-mail addresses.
The address used still has to be a real one though and the only way to hide it would be to use contact privacy. This is one of the flaws of the ICANN verification policy.
Fri 02/10/15 at 13:38
"Are you sure?"
More feedback...

Private email account available via WHOIS

What I didn't realise at the time was that the email address used to validate the domains is publicly viewable via WHOIS !

This has already allowed a few spammy companies to get in contact using the address...

If I perform a WHOIS on a .co domain I see the 'Registrant Email' is a Freeola one, but on my newly registered .london domains it's the email account I used to validate the registration.

If I had known this then I would have provided a different address.

Can Freeola please let me know if this address can be changed ? I'm guessing it needs a support ticket as I can't see an option in MyFreeola.

I thought it was worth a post to make others aware.

It might be worth a mention at the time of registration as well - it could have been in the 18,000 word terms I guess.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

@robo22
FYI With my 'mod' hat on I've added 'DOMAIN VERIFICATION' to the thread's subject line.
Tue 29/09/15 at 12:21
"Are you sure?"
Update/feedback...

I've just registered 5 new domains.
A mixture of .uk, .eu and .london

The registration process went smoothly and all domains are up and running within no time.

The .london ones - weren't cheap, but I notice are even more expensive elsewhere! :¬)

I did need to 'verify' these - as Eccles mentioned for domain types previously registered you don't get asked again.

It took me ages to read the 23 page 18,000 word registration agreement!!!

The two verification emails went straight to spam in Outlook using Microsoft's standard filter but arrived fine via Gmail.

These emails originate from 'opensrs' and it looks like the way they are formed can send them to junk/spam.

So people registering domains for the first time should check for these. There's a 15 day window before your domain is suspended. Reminders are sent within that window. It looks like there's an option for Freeola to also get a reminder near to the end of the window to act as a fail safe.

Separate verification emails were sent for each .london domain but only one was needed as the second request found it was already verified.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 28/09/15 at 18:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Eccles :¬)
Mon 28/09/15 at 17:24
"Are you sure?"
Thanks, that makes sense.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 28/09/15 at 17:12
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If you are registering a gTLD where the contact email and registrant name has been verified before then you should not get a verification email and no further action will be required.
If you register a Nominet domain with valid details that can be verified then again, no further action is needed. You can usually see the verification status of Nominet domains in the WHOIS, such as:

Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 18-Jun-2014
Mon 28/09/15 at 16:50
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
gTLD's have required contact verification for over a year now. Verification is done at the time of registration , by sending an e-mail to the registrant e-mail and if the annual Whois Data Reminder Policy (WDRP) e-mails bounce.

Nominet began validation registrant contacts more recently. Their process is more automated and they try to verify contact details using public data sources such as companies house data and the electoral role. Accredited registrars, like us, can also verify details where Nominets automated process fails to verify. Failure to provide valid details can result in the suspension of the domain name.

Thanks Eccles.
I'm regularly registering domains (mostly renewing) and haven't noticed any changes at my end. I'm just about to register a few more including my first few .london ones, I'll see if I notice any changes - or are your saying that the email/whois verification is handled by Freeola/GetDotted?

Yep - broadband usage is working again.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 28/09/15 at 16:36
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hmmm... wrote:
That's interesting chasfh.
Is this only for .uk domains or all/others?

This would have been worth a 'news' item or Tweet! :¬)

PS The broadband usage display seems to have stalled. For me it's stuck on Thursday 24th. Please let me know if you should need a ticket.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Broadband stats should be sorted now.

gTLD's have required contact verification for over a year now. Verification is done at the time of registration , by sending an e-mail to the registrant e-mail and if the annual Whois Data Reminder Policy (WDRP) e-mails bounce.

Nominet began validation registrant contacts more recently. Their process is more automated and they try to verify contact details using public data sources such as companies house data and the electoral role. Accredited registrars, like us, can also verify details where Nominets automated process fails to verify. Failure to provide valid details can result in the suspension of the domain name.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.