GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Suggest me a PC thread"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/09/15 at 09:26
"possibly impossible"
As you may know, I'm saving for a new graphics card and I'm looking at the GTX 960 as a good card for the money that also works well with a standard 500w PSU.

But....what if I saved a bit more and bought a new PC? My CPU is not great, it's an A8 APU and it's struggling at times, the motherboard is creaky and only an FM2 and won't take anything other than the APUs due to the wonderful knobbling HP do on their Bios. So I'm thinking here's a challenge, find me a PC (on Amazon as I have vouchers making up some of my money towards it, or take £150-£200 off the maximum price) that will; a) run all the latest games at high settings or thereabouts (not necessarily ultra), b) costs less than or around £500 and c) looks pretty.

This is the best I've come up with so far:

Go!
Sun 15/11/15 at 09:28
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice :¬)
Sun 15/11/15 at 08:12
"possibly impossible"
Sat 14/11/15 at 22:41
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Used a Coolermaster HAF case with 4 fans and a Titan cooler
Sat 14/11/15 at 22:25
"possibly impossible"
Dragonfly CPU cooler, the case has 2 large fans and it's pretty well ventilated. Kept a check on temperatures when trying a game and it's pretty cool.

I chose the CS over the VS as the VS has cheaper parts that many on several tech forums have warned fail quicker. Plus the CS is modular.
Sat 14/11/15 at 19:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice specs pb :¬)

I used the PSU Corsair VS series and Hyper-X at 16 Gb but all good. Did you add any cooling?
Sat 14/11/15 at 15:34
"possibly impossible"
So....

I eventually went for this spec from several places so I could use all my Amazon vouchers but get the main parts from PCS as they're pretty reliable and I put it all together yesterday.

InWIN GT1 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 8GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozer
1st Hard Disk 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Thu 29/10/15 at 16:18
"possibly impossible"
Dr. Garin wrote:
Yeah, but the argument has always been about what Skylake can do for you in the future, not what it can do now. There is no way to measure that at the moment.

I think somebody is getting impatient and just wants to buy something. :)

Well...yes!

Also noticed that they fit the PCs with Corsair CX PSUs and a lot of people seem to be saying that they don't trust the CX ones to run anything decent. That would be a setback, I really don't have the money to go outside of Amazon for a PC at the moment.
Thu 29/10/15 at 15:30
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Yeah, but the argument has always been about what Skylake can do for you in the future, not what it can do now. There is no way to measure that at the moment.

I think somebody is getting impatient and just wants to buy something. :)
Wed 28/10/15 at 12:33
"possibly impossible"
So, a setback.

No Skylakes in stock from Freshtech at the moment. Apparently in short supply everywhere.

Now I could wait it out or save money and go for the cheaper one again. Honestly, now the gaming benchmarks are out there's not a whole lot of difference between the new CPU and faster memory and the 4th gen.

I basically 'need' my PC by December.
Mon 19/10/15 at 15:43
"possibly impossible"
One step closer. Someone has agreed to buy my old PC from me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.