GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Beckham...or Hargreaves?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 19:04
Regular
The World Cup

Are England's chances of winning the world cup really over just because Beckham won’t be there….or will he? Say that he is back in time for the world cup our troubles are over and Sven and the rest of the country can calm down again…...but…..if the worst come to the worst we would have to go without one of the best players in the world, if not the best player in the world.
There are obvious replacements like Scholles or Gerrard, but I reckon that the best choice for the right wing to replace Beckham would be Owen Hargreaves. Owen Hargreaves is also a world class player in my opinion, what I mean is it would take a lot of talent to get into Bayern Munich first team. He may not have the quality passing as Beckham, but who does?
Hargreaves is more of a Giggs type player, he prefers to run at the defence. If anyone thinks that taking people on doesn’t pay off just take a look at Giggs’s goal last night.
Hopefully Sven has put Hargreaves in the squad for the world cup because I think that he could be one of the all time great players like Beckham or even Sir Stanley Mathews, O.K. a little exaggeration there but he could prove to be the missing link in England’s play. Hopefully Sven has realised all of this. Who do you think should replace Beckham if he isn’t back in time?
Back to lasts nights game the tackle itself was malicious, but that wasn’t the reason that he got the injury it was the way he fell onto it…...oh yeah it was also a bloody Argentinean who made the challenge, if ask me it was deliberate to get him to miss the world cup.
Sat 13/04/02 at 23:43
Regular
Indeed. Scholes had a poor start to this season. But that was more down to him playing out of position. The arrival of Veron ment Scholes was pushed out of his natural position and played as a support man for Van Nistelrooy. This role never really suited him at all...

During the past few months or so, Scholes has come back to form and played much better being allowed to be part of a normal 4 man midfield with Giggs occasionaly playing the support man role for Van Nistelrooy.
Sat 13/04/02 at 21:46
Regular
"Great Scott's"
Figo wrote: James Pond in your starting line up you putt Butt in Centre Midfield with Gerrard but you missed out Scholes! Scholes is a definate for
that central midfield with Gerrard not Butt, Butt may not even get into the World Cup squad but i think he should as he has been in pretty good form for England lately.

I don't think Scholes has been at his best this season. I would take him to the World Cup but I believe to have a good chance in the world cup we must have two ball winners in the centre of midfield. To stop the opposition attacking easily.

Butt and Gerrard fit the bill, as they will get stuck in and make life difficult for the opposition. Unlike Scholes, who is more of an attacking player, and is not the best tackler in the world. Butt is the english Roy Keane, but he will never be captain or influencial enough.
Sat 13/04/02 at 19:01
Regular
James Pond in your starting line up you putt Butt in Centre Midfield with Gerrard but you missed out Scholes! Scholes is a definate for that central midfield with Gerrard not Butt, Butt may not even get into the World Cup squad but i think he should as he has been in pretty good form for England lately.
Fri 12/04/02 at 18:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Of course out chances aren't over if Beckham's not available!!
We could probably go far without his presence in the squad at all!
The team doesn't revlove around him, or any other player for that matter.
As long as we have 11 good players out there that can work well as a team, we'll do fine.

As for Hargreaves, i'm delighted he chose England over Canada and the others, but I still think it'll be quite a while yet before he can become a regular in the England starting XI.
By all means he's a great player, and has played some top-football for Bayern Muncih this season - especially in Europe! But it's a lack of real experience that decreases his chances of making it to the top now.

But he's definitley one for the future! And if there's no Beckham, Dyer and co., then he should seriously be considered for a place in the squad!
And i'm sure he won't be left out of the Euro 2004 squad looking at the way he's going!! :D
Fri 12/04/02 at 14:59
Regular
"Great Scott's"
You cannot compare Beckham to Hargreaves or the other way round.

Firstly, Beckham is very good going forward, attacking, great passer, shooting and crossing. One part of the game that lets him done is tackling and strength on the ball. He lacks both but he is still a World Class Player.

Hargreaves must be good to get into the Munich team. And he showed his quality when Munich played Utd this year. Hargreaves is totally different to Beckham and Giggs.

Hargreaves is more of a Defensive midfielder than attacking and a player that will never give up. But his passing and crossing is not good enough to take Beckham's place on the right wing. Hargreaves has different qualities to Beckham. Hargreaves has pace which Beckham doesn't have. Also Hargreaves has the skill and pace to get passed players, were as I don't think Beckham does this enough in games.

Hargreaves is someone who could cover in the right wing role but not be the best right winger we have.

IF, Beckham is unable to play in the World Cup this would be my first choice 11:

1. David Seaman
2. Gary Neville RB
3. Rio Ferdinand CB
4. Gareth Southgate (Captain)CB
5. Ashley Cole LB
6. Steve Gerrard CM
7. David Dunn RM
8. Nicky Butt CM
9. Michael Owen FW
10. Robbie Folwer FW
11. Keiron Dyer LM

You may think, Why the hell has he put David Dunn at Right Midfield?

Well Dunn has been playing very well lately, and Sven should be taking players that are at top form, not players that have always been in the squad whether they have been playing well or not.

Even though Dunn is young and inexperienced at International level, he would provide the cutting edge that will be lacking when Beckham is out, which Hargreaves will not provide.

I hope Dunn goes to the World Cup, as I believe he is very good and will be just as good as Beckham or either better.

By the way I am not a Blackburn supporter, so there is no bias towards him. I am an Everton supporter. Shame Kevin Campbell is not fit, he would there before Michael Owen!!!!
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:47
Regular
"not dead"
Back in 1998 Ryan Giggs broke the same bone (or a very similar one) and was playing again within 5 weeks, so I imagine Beckham will be fit to play at least the final game in the group stages, against Nigeria.
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:42
Regular
Well, still 6-8 weeks.

Sven has said he will take Beckham even if there is only a small chance of him playing.

Bit OTT seeing his foot on the front pages of the papers though...
Fri 12/04/02 at 12:37
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> Well, they are saying now that Beckham will be back in 6 >weeks.

wasn't it 8 weeks?
Fri 12/04/02 at 09:35
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I don't think hargreeves can replace beckham, he hasn't had enough expriance with the England team therefore hasnt shown anything 'brilliant' he needs more time, you can't just throw him in at the deep end.

He has to gradually be blended into the team, he's still young

untill then I think it should be dyer that should take over from Becks on the right and England would need to put someone else on the left i.e Joe Cole, Le Saux or David Dunn

what do u think?
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:34
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Or†ega wrote:
> Well, they are saying now that Beckham will be back in 6 weeks. Which would
> bring him back a week before the World cup starts. But is a week long enough for
> him to get back to match fitness?

Hargreaves should definitely be given a
> run in the team. He's just been playing against the likes of Zidane and Figo in
> the bernabeu...thats the type of experience England will need.

Good point, he's got some great experiance. There's so much young talent it's gonna be hard for Sven to make decisions on players.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.