GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Beckham...or Hargreaves?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 19:04
Regular
The World Cup

Are England's chances of winning the world cup really over just because Beckham won’t be there….or will he? Say that he is back in time for the world cup our troubles are over and Sven and the rest of the country can calm down again…...but…..if the worst come to the worst we would have to go without one of the best players in the world, if not the best player in the world.
There are obvious replacements like Scholles or Gerrard, but I reckon that the best choice for the right wing to replace Beckham would be Owen Hargreaves. Owen Hargreaves is also a world class player in my opinion, what I mean is it would take a lot of talent to get into Bayern Munich first team. He may not have the quality passing as Beckham, but who does?
Hargreaves is more of a Giggs type player, he prefers to run at the defence. If anyone thinks that taking people on doesn’t pay off just take a look at Giggs’s goal last night.
Hopefully Sven has put Hargreaves in the squad for the world cup because I think that he could be one of the all time great players like Beckham or even Sir Stanley Mathews, O.K. a little exaggeration there but he could prove to be the missing link in England’s play. Hopefully Sven has realised all of this. Who do you think should replace Beckham if he isn’t back in time?
Back to lasts nights game the tackle itself was malicious, but that wasn’t the reason that he got the injury it was the way he fell onto it…...oh yeah it was also a bloody Argentinean who made the challenge, if ask me it was deliberate to get him to miss the world cup.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:04
The World Cup

Are England's chances of winning the world cup really over just because Beckham won’t be there….or will he? Say that he is back in time for the world cup our troubles are over and Sven and the rest of the country can calm down again…...but…..if the worst come to the worst we would have to go without one of the best players in the world, if not the best player in the world.
There are obvious replacements like Scholles or Gerrard, but I reckon that the best choice for the right wing to replace Beckham would be Owen Hargreaves. Owen Hargreaves is also a world class player in my opinion, what I mean is it would take a lot of talent to get into Bayern Munich first team. He may not have the quality passing as Beckham, but who does?
Hargreaves is more of a Giggs type player, he prefers to run at the defence. If anyone thinks that taking people on doesn’t pay off just take a look at Giggs’s goal last night.
Hopefully Sven has put Hargreaves in the squad for the world cup because I think that he could be one of the all time great players like Beckham or even Sir Stanley Mathews, O.K. a little exaggeration there but he could prove to be the missing link in England’s play. Hopefully Sven has realised all of this. Who do you think should replace Beckham if he isn’t back in time?
Back to lasts nights game the tackle itself was malicious, but that wasn’t the reason that he got the injury it was the way he fell onto it…...oh yeah it was also a bloody Argentinean who made the challenge, if ask me it was deliberate to get him to miss the world cup.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:16
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I think Dyer is the obvious replacement for Beckham, but it's kinda been taken for granted that if he was available for the World Cup he'd play in the vacant left-midfield position.

Maybe now Sven really will have to bring in someone else for the left-position. How about the Blackburn youngster (whose name eludes me right now) or Spurs' Matt Etherington?

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them a little experiance as a backup to whoever Sven picks as first choice for the left-wing position.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:29
Regular
"smile, it's free"
If we can't play Beckham, then for the love of God can we at least put McManaman on the right? Would anyone honestly begrudge him that place?
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:31
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
VenomByte wrote:
> If we can't play Beckham, then for the love of God can we at least put McManaman
> on the right? Would anyone honestly begrudge him that place?

Well, unfortunately i've not seen enough of him recently to judge whether he'd be any good for us in the World Cup, but I see no reason why he can't be considered like anyone else.

Maybe there's an opportunity for Anderton to get back into the picture now?

I don't think he deserves it because he's been very poor recently, but he must now be in the running for that position.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:32
Regular
Well, they are saying now that Beckham will be back in 6 weeks. Which would bring him back a week before the World cup starts. But is a week long enough for him to get back to match fitness?

Hargreaves should definitely be given a run in the team. He's just been playing against the likes of Zidane and Figo in the bernabeu...thats the type of experience England will need.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:34
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Or†ega wrote:
> Well, they are saying now that Beckham will be back in 6 weeks. Which would
> bring him back a week before the World cup starts. But is a week long enough for
> him to get back to match fitness?

Hargreaves should definitely be given a
> run in the team. He's just been playing against the likes of Zidane and Figo in
> the bernabeu...thats the type of experience England will need.

Good point, he's got some great experiance. There's so much young talent it's gonna be hard for Sven to make decisions on players.
Fri 12/04/02 at 09:35
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I don't think hargreeves can replace beckham, he hasn't had enough expriance with the England team therefore hasnt shown anything 'brilliant' he needs more time, you can't just throw him in at the deep end.

He has to gradually be blended into the team, he's still young

untill then I think it should be dyer that should take over from Becks on the right and England would need to put someone else on the left i.e Joe Cole, Le Saux or David Dunn

what do u think?
Fri 12/04/02 at 12:37
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> Well, they are saying now that Beckham will be back in 6 >weeks.

wasn't it 8 weeks?
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:42
Regular
Well, still 6-8 weeks.

Sven has said he will take Beckham even if there is only a small chance of him playing.

Bit OTT seeing his foot on the front pages of the papers though...
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:47
Regular
"not dead"
Back in 1998 Ryan Giggs broke the same bone (or a very similar one) and was playing again within 5 weeks, so I imagine Beckham will be fit to play at least the final game in the group stages, against Nigeria.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.