GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheapest and best hosting?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 21:35
Regular
Hey, i bought a domain, designed a site, and all the rest but neva got round to running it because i couldnt find any good, cheap hosts.

Can you all name some good web site hosts please?

Thanks
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:35
Hey, i bought a domain, designed a site, and all the rest but neva got round to running it because i couldnt find any good, cheap hosts.

Can you all name some good web site hosts please?

Thanks
Thu 11/04/02 at 00:35
Regular
"How Handy."
*cough* Why freeola of course! *cough*
Thu 11/04/02 at 13:06
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Yes, I'd also recomend Freeola, it's Free.

All you'd have to pay is the cost of a local phone call to upload pages to your Web Space, as you need to be connected via a Freeola Dial Up.

If you haven't got your Domain hosted with Freeola yet, you will have to pay to have it transfered over to them, but thats pretty cheap. Or just have your current host point to a Free Domain you can get fom Freeola.

goto http://www.freeola.com/ for details.
Thu 11/04/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Freeola's definately the one to go with.

I have three personal sites hosted on it, and suggested it to three other clients who I designed websites for (they all agreed and are with freeola).

There's just no down-side to it at all!
Thu 11/04/02 at 16:20
"High polygon count"
ADH wrote:
> There's just no down-side to it at all!

Apart from the current lack of a broadband uploading facility...
Thu 11/04/02 at 16:22
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> ADH wrote:
> There's just no down-side to it at all!

Apart from the
> current lack of a broadband uploading facility...

Fair enough, but the majority of people don't have broadband, so for the average internet user that's not a problem.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:16
Ok i actually bought my domain from GetDotted so i should be intitled to free FREEOLA hosting. Do i just dial up the number and upload then? That easy?

My parents (im 15) didnt want me to do it before as we use freeserve but what the hell, i mite aswell if you all reccomend it.
Thu 11/04/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I use SupaNames for one of my domains, they are quite nice, the hosting is 15 or 20 pound a year and you get plenty of features (including mysql DB). But most importantly (for me at least) performance is quite nice, ie pages aren't slow to download from them.

Pains me to say it, but I honestly can't recommend Freeola based upon my experience with them. Had 2 domains from them, and performance was always too slow. Things might have changed though...
On the other hand they are free, so worth a try at least to see if they are ok for you.

Also keep in mind, if you transfer your domain to Freeola (or just buy one from them) they WILL charge you for transfering it away from them again if you don't like Freeola hosting.

-G
Fri 12/04/02 at 12:10
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Garin, I think Freeola have greatly improved on the user Web Site side of things, as mine load a lot faster since they Upgraded there Servers. You should try it again, and see what you think caompaired to who you use now.

Also, if you bought your Domain though getdotted, then it's not going to cost a thing to set up, just sign up to Freeola (if you haven't done so already) and goto the bottom of your Control Panel, and simply enter your Domain Name in the requireed Text Box. Wait a day or so and then it'll be ready to use. You will need to dial-up Freeola to Upload to your Web Space and to Send out E-mail through your Domain. You can check and receive E-mail though the domain without Dialing upto Freeola though, if you need to.

your ftp Address would be something like ftp://[email protected] if you use Internet Explorer to Upload or just www.yourdomain.co.uk in any FTP Program (recommended).
Sat 13/04/02 at 15:19
Thanks, i will try supanames, but it looks like i may decide to use Freeola!

Thanks for your advice guys

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.