GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Persuade me to buy a ps2. i am thinking of getting cube"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 20:16
Regular
I originally thought of getting a ps2 cause of dvd player, but i have read so many articles about the dvd player not being up 2 scratch. if this is de case, then there is no real reason for me to buy a ps2. for gamecube, there are endless 4 player games, and i can't think of any good multiplayer games on de ps2

unless u can persuade me otherwise?

Zero
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:49
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
The_Flying_Hawkstar wrote:
> What are you talking about no multiplayer games have you not heard of a little
> Gem called Timesplitters and there are loads of Sports games ot which are
> Multiplayer aswell you have also got a multiplayer fighting game DOA2 which is a
> wicked game.

-------

Yeah but you also want a single player which is worth playing. That rules out Timesplitters. The multiplayer was excellent, but it still wasn't a scratch on Perfect Dark (and I am saying that honestly). Fighting games is something that Sony have always had better of than Nintendo (basically because they had Namco backing them up) but now that Soul Calibur 2 is being released on both PS2 and GC, the two consoles will be even in terms of fighters. Soul Calibur will undoubtedly be the best fighting game ever (since at the moment, the original Soul Calibur is). Most sports games are released on all platforms as well, so they don't really make a difference.

However, with these rumours of Rare being bought out be Activision (which I personally don't believe), that would mean Playstation 2 would then get some of the best multiplayers around. Rare makes these fantastic multiplayers after all. But there is still the problem of being expected to pay 30 quid to play four player games on your PS2, especially after having to shell out 200 quid for the console itself.

-------

There are also loads of games out on the PS2 aswell with most of
> them very good games apart from the odd exception(yes im talking about you All
> Star Baseball 2003) and there are Platinums which are very good value for money
> and if you get them 2nd hand they are even Cheaper!!!!!!!.

-------

Yeah but how many games are people planning on buying? Okay so there may be a better selection on PS2 but I personally feel that Nintendo consoles have a better selection of absolutely top class titles. If you don't agree, then give me a list of absolutely top class titles on the PS2 and I'll give you a list of absolutely top class titles on the N64.

-------

Gamecube on the other hand has got some good games coming out
> but you will have to wait a while for the AAA titles to start coming and with
> the PS2 at it's strongest at the moment there is no stopping the AAA titles
> coming.

--------

Not true. Rogue Squadron on the N64 was an amazing game which lasted forever. I just never got bored. I think (although I've not played it) that Rogue Leader will be just as good for the time. That means GC will have an absolutely top class title from the day of its release. Wave Race will be amazing as well. Perhaps not one of the best games on a next gen console, but it should be brilliant fun all the same. That sadly though, is about it for the launch titles on GameCube (for me anyway). I'm not prepared to pay for Luigi's Mansion which, although I think looks excellent, it will be far too short and I just won't get the hours out of it. Still, in the future you've got Starfox, Mario (which should be as long as Mario 64), Zelda, Perfect Dark, Metroid, and loads of others. Just think of MArio Kart on the Gamecube. Now that will be one of the best multiplayer games EVER! I recently had a huge multiplayer fest round a friend's house with a PS2 and an N64. The PS2 was plugged in first and I had TimeSplitters, Wipeout Fusion, Tekken Tag and Gran Turismo 3 multiplayer wise. It was soon unplugged to make way for the N64 though on which we had just Perfect Dark, Lylat Wars and Mario Kart. Perfect Dark was played first for quite a while but then when Mario Kart was put in, it wasn't turned off. It is still one of the best multiplayers ever. And I think it comes clsoe, if not beats Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark is now showing it's age. Mario Kart is not! Although Lylat Wars has a fairly decent multiplayer game, it wasn't even touched. We jsut couldn't stop playing Mario Kart.
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:24
Regular
MetalGear2King wrote:
> NINTENDO are not rubbish but they deliver nothing new and they concentrate on
> baby games, after the N64 I will never buy a NINTENDO product again.

I thought Nintendo were, in your words: Naff

Never mind...

I'm sure if you played Star Wars Rogue Leader you'd be happy with a 'Cube.

If Sony released one or two titles with babyish themes (oh yeah, the Tweenies on PSX) would you stop buying PS2 games?
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:15
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Little alex wrote:

> with the DVD player on the PS2 except it won't play Blair Witch project or Toy
> Story, but my Toshiba stand alone won't play certain DVDs. DVD is still an
> inperfected technology and that's the way it is!

I agree - I sold my DVD player to buy a PS2, and now some won't play, especially the two above. But don't you find it annoying that they didn't perfect the playback tech before releasing any sort of DVD player???
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:06
My DVD player has never given me any trouble and it is exactly the same quality as my normal DVD player. Plus there are plenty of multiplayer games now with nearly all of them being multiplayer. For example even Dynasty WArriors 3 is multiplayer!!

Get a PS2, everyone has so all your friends will have the same games plus it's better quality and range of games.
Thu 11/04/02 at 16:20
Regular
What are you talking about no multiplayer games have you not heard of a little Gem called Timesplitters and there are loads of Sports games ot which are Multiplayer aswell you have also got a multiplayer fighting game DOA2 which is a wicked game.

There are also loads of games out on the PS2 aswell with most of them very good games apart from the odd exception(yes im talking about you All Star Baseball 2003) and there are Platinums which are very good value for money and if you get them 2nd hand they are even Cheaper!!!!!!!.

As For the DVD player i have had no problems with mine and neither have any of my friends but i didn't buy it because of the DVD player i brought it because of the sheer beauty of the games.

Gamecube on the other hand has got some good games coming out but you will have to wait a while for the AAA titles to start coming and with the PS2 at it's strongest at the moment there is no stopping the AAA titles coming.

So my opinion is buy a GAMECUBE no I'm only joking get a PS2 you can't go far wrong in my mind.
Wed 10/04/02 at 22:09
Regular
Legendary Link wrote:
> Get a Gamecube, does anyone else get a long screen on DVD playback?
I take it you mean widescreen,
If so if the DVD is in 16:9 (widescreen) simply stop the DVD and change the picture on the DVD menu from 4:3 to 16:9 you'll have a stretched screen but this will be the same with any DVD player in the world, unless of course you actually own a widescreen TV in which case it should play correctly.
to conclude there is absolutly nothing wrong with the DVD player on the PS2 except it won't play Blair Witch project or Toy Story, but my Toshiba stand alone won't play certain DVDs. DVD is still an inperfected technology and that's the way it is!
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:57
The letterbox (widescreen bars) is down to the disc itself and not the PS2, if you have a square telly and the movie is in widescreen then of course you'll get the bars.

There isn't much you can do about it (unless the movie lets you select 16:9 and 4:3 ratios) apart from get a widescreen tv, even then at 16:9 (standard widescreen ratio) you get the bars but they are alot smaller and you get to see the whole picture without the sides cut off.
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:09
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
And another thing, the DVD on the PS2 is poor. The quality is very bad indeed compared to my actual DVD player. And the noise the PS2 makes gets really annoying when you're watching a DVD.
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
If I were you Zero, I'd go with the GameCube. You obviously like multiplayer and Nintendo has always been better at multiplayers - Perfect Dark, F-Zero X, Mario Kart.

One players are always good too, so it's not only going to be good when you have friends round. With games like Mario, Zelda, and Goldeneye, you'll always be playing with or without friends.

The PS2 is a quality machine I have to admit. I bought mine back at Christmas and I do like it, but it hasn't got same amount of quality titles as the N64 did. GTA3 and MGS2 are the best games out at the moment and there are few others which I would buy. GT3 is too boring for my liking and Wipeout is nothing on F-Zero. Devil May Cry is far too short and I haven't played it in months.

As for people saying Nintendo make baby games (MGS2king!), they don't! Banjo Kazooie, Mario and MArio Kart are not baby titles. They just don't have realistic graphics. The thing is, you see them as baby titles because you have never played them fully. Since Nintendo and Rare are pretty much the only top class developers who make these 'kiddy' games, both of whom only develop for Nintendo consoles, you are stuck with playing lower quality 'kiddy' games on your PS2 by lower quality developers. It was all "oh Nintendo just do kiddy platformers!" before Jak and Daxter was released and then suddenly you all loved Jak and Daxter. did it have 'kiddy' graphics. Yes. Was it a 'kiddy'game? No. Try putting that, Mario or Banjo Kazzoie in front of a five year old and see how far they get. They're not 'kiddy' games just because they have 'kiddy' graphics.

Anyway, back to the point. I may have bought a PS2 but I was always planning on getting a GameCube as well. And I still will. The N64 was a brilliant machine for both single and mulitpalyer games. PS2 is a good machine for singel player games. Multiplayer is severely lacking. Especially since Sony are too greedy to put 4 controller ports as standard on their consoles. Expecting people to pay 30 quid for 2 more ports is ridiculous, but to get the most fun out of mulitplayer gaming, you have to.

Go for GAMECUBE! Cheaper, and from what it sounds you like, you will think is better.
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:03
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i'm not sure why lack of 4 player gaming would affect you buying a ps2 but you can buy a mulitap and play 5 player and yes there are plenty of games, especially if you consider all the muliplayer game on the ps1 and don't forget about the internet play, where you can play against 100's of players.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.