GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Auto Modellista - will you or won't you?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 13:30
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1654

-----

I really am not sure about this game. Sure, it looks good... and I don't doubt it will be playable... but... driving cartoon cars - even 'realistic' cartoon cars - just somehow doesn't appeal.

Generally, I don't like cel-shaded graphics. There's something distinctly tacky about them.

Yes, I know that graphics don't make a game, but after seeing what is possible with GT3, is this really what we want to see on the next-gen machines?

With GT3 being photo-realistic and - according to Sony - "barely touching the sides" of what PS2 can do, surely this is a backwards step? It just looks too 'retro', and as much as I enjoyed the old games growing up, I don't really want to play them on my new state-of-the-art consoles.

If I play a demo and it's especially good, I might be tempted. But otherwise, I think I'll be steering well clear of this one.

How about you?
Wed 10/04/02 at 13:30
"High polygon count"
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1654

-----

I really am not sure about this game. Sure, it looks good... and I don't doubt it will be playable... but... driving cartoon cars - even 'realistic' cartoon cars - just somehow doesn't appeal.

Generally, I don't like cel-shaded graphics. There's something distinctly tacky about them.

Yes, I know that graphics don't make a game, but after seeing what is possible with GT3, is this really what we want to see on the next-gen machines?

With GT3 being photo-realistic and - according to Sony - "barely touching the sides" of what PS2 can do, surely this is a backwards step? It just looks too 'retro', and as much as I enjoyed the old games growing up, I don't really want to play them on my new state-of-the-art consoles.

If I play a demo and it's especially good, I might be tempted. But otherwise, I think I'll be steering well clear of this one.

How about you?
Wed 10/04/02 at 13:37
I think it looks Ok, a bit manga style.
It'll need something special about it to distinguish it from all the other racers though and I don't reckon the graphics alone will do that.
Definately one that would need to be demo'd or rented first.
Wed 10/04/02 at 13:54
Of course, I need to get my PS2 delivered by SR before I can try anything on it :)
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:00
Regular
"Tag as above"
If they change its name and develop it into a stunt game and call it pole position I'll be interested.

Pole Position? remeber that?
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:05
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
I think it LOOKS pretty cool, it's the only game since Jet Set Radio where the Cel-Shading actually looks pretty sweet. But if it's going to be a classic they'll need to use the cartoon theme more by bringing in some characters and a story, as seen in Toca Race Driver. At the moment it seems like an average racer, with great graphics!
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:07
depends o the reviews, if good then ill take a look.
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:10
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
FatButcher wrote:

Pole Position? remember that?

Yep - played it in the arcade and on the good old speccie - sad isn't it ...

Getting back to Auto Modellista - This one has never really appealed since I first read about it, the mag journo's seem to be getting excited about it but I dont reaaly know why.

I thought we had moved on from the old cartoony looking games now, with GT3 available and Toca Race Driver and Colin Mcrae we are going to have some really great driving games to enjoy without something that looks like this.

I agree with you wookiee - I dont like this fad for cel shaded graphics either - it just seems like a backward step to me.
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:16
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
Pole Position?? Don't you mean the cartoon?

"only there uncle knows"

Anyway what about the online factor, surely that's gonna attract lots of people.

But i do agree, needs a good storyline, which could be done in a cartoon stylei. (obviously!)
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:21
ye i think it could be a secret hit, as long as it isn't hiped beyond repair!
Wed 10/04/02 at 14:22
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
oasismark wrote:

Anyway what about the online factor, surely that's gonna attract lots of people.

Like who ? we cant actually get online yet or for the forseeable future.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.