GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Auto Modellista - will you or won't you?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 13:30
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1654

-----

I really am not sure about this game. Sure, it looks good... and I don't doubt it will be playable... but... driving cartoon cars - even 'realistic' cartoon cars - just somehow doesn't appeal.

Generally, I don't like cel-shaded graphics. There's something distinctly tacky about them.

Yes, I know that graphics don't make a game, but after seeing what is possible with GT3, is this really what we want to see on the next-gen machines?

With GT3 being photo-realistic and - according to Sony - "barely touching the sides" of what PS2 can do, surely this is a backwards step? It just looks too 'retro', and as much as I enjoyed the old games growing up, I don't really want to play them on my new state-of-the-art consoles.

If I play a demo and it's especially good, I might be tempted. But otherwise, I think I'll be steering well clear of this one.

How about you?
Fri 12/04/02 at 14:58
Regular
"Touched!"
I rekon it looks pretty good, although i don't really like cel shaded games either, but its the gameplay that counts, plus the online mode sounds interesting, maybe this vs the next GT as an online battle..will be interesting to see which one is better in that aspect!
Fri 12/04/02 at 14:47
"High polygon count"
Nope, just TBA as far as I know. Certainly looks to be nearing completion though.
Fri 12/04/02 at 14:39
Regular
Do you know when it's due out? SR don't seem to have it in their database yet - that usually means it's months away.
Fri 12/04/02 at 14:33
"High polygon count"
Possibly. I'm not saying it won't be a good game, just that I'm not convinced about the graphics side of things.

But then graphics don't make a good game. It may just be that they decided not to go directly against GT3, as that would be a very tough battle.

As I said, I'll play a demo before buying. Hopefully I'll be extremely pleased with it.
Fri 12/04/02 at 14:30
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
Depends on your preference. There are already more than enough
> cartoon racers!

But I think the unique thing about Auto Modellista is that it's a "serious" cartoon racer. The reason AM stands out from the crowd is because it's a serious racer with cel-shaded graphics. I think it'll be refreshing to play a game like that.
Fri 12/04/02 at 14:19
"High polygon count"
49er wrote:
> But do we *yawn* really want yet another "realistic" racer?

Depends on your preference. There are already more than enough cartoon racers!
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:45
Regular
WookieMonster wrote:
>I really am not sure about this game. Sure, it looks good... and I don't doubt it will be playable... but... driving cartoon cars - even 'realistic' cartoon cars - just somehow doesn't appeal.

But do we *yawn* really want yet another "realistic" racer?
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:13
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
im intrested in the online capabilities of auto modellista. very interesting idea
Wed 10/04/02 at 18:49
Regular
You really do have to see the game running to realise just how good it looks, I think the main idea of AM is that it will be online, and considering that the Japenese FF11 is in it's final stages of devolopment and won't be realeased over here until 2004, U won't be seeing this game for quite a while. It is being made by Capcom, so if they get the borders sorted we should be in for a hit.
Wed 10/04/02 at 18:30
Regular
"Whatever!"
I may get it - It looks alright but Im more tempted with realistic racers such as GT Next and TOCA Race Driver!!
I will wait and see what kind of reviews it gets and hopefully a playable demo!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.