GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"£165?? wot's going on??"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 22:38
Regular
€249 "roughly equates to a Special reserve price of £165"?? b******s...the price it should launch at in the UK is £150...it will be 249 euros here in Holland so stop cheating...
Sat 13/04/02 at 21:52
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Mr. Chainsaw wrote:
> we should be rejoicing at £165 not poo pooing it! About
> £200 quid cheaper than the X-Box launch! c'mon, who needs a DVD
> player, hasnt everyone got one anyway.

You got your maths a bit wrong there mate. £300 - £165 = £135 cheaper than the XBox at launch, not £200 as you so inaccurately stated. A slight exaggeration there don't you think? Oh, and what about the memory cards you'll need to buy for Gamecube? Not such good value after all, when a HALF MEG card costs £15!!! That's actually £240 worth to get 8Mb of storage for your games. The OPTIONAL 8Mb memory card for XBox costs just £30, which is £210 cheaper than for Gamecube, meaning owners of the XBox can afford to get a Gamecube simply with the money they save on memory cards (no flaming please, I know this is a stupid argument, but it is in response to an equally daft post).

Also, people go on about the fact that we don't need DVD etc. What most of you don't know is that with the XBox, DVD playback is FREE in the hardware. It uses a standard DVD drive, and so can play DVDs with a small video driver on the hard drive. It's not as though it's an added extra that costs £135. The only cost is the DVD drive itself, which is CHEAPER than the proprietory drive that Nintendo use. The only reason you pay for the DVD remote for the XBox is because Microsoft chose to leave the DVD logo off the console (it costs money to include it) and simply passed the cost onto the people who want to play DVD (i.e. if you want DVD, you pay for it, if not, you don't)

If Nintendo had used a normal size DVD drive and included DVD playback capability at its current price, you would all be falling over yourselves in excitement. Instead, because it can't play DVDs (and admit it, most of you would welcome the option) you have to slate the XBox for costing £300 just because it can play DVDs and GC can't. I for one like, and am getting a Gamecube, but I also know that the XBox happens to offer a lot more to gamers wanting the whole picture.

Just get over it and enjoy the console(s) you choose to get for what they are - games machines.

Lecture over.
Sat 13/04/02 at 17:32
"Mimmargh!"
orrelljet wrote:
> €249 "roughly equates to a Special reserve price of
> £165"?? b******s...

I'm suprised you weren't banned for that.
Sat 13/04/02 at 16:43
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Definately. Have you seen the size of the Xbox? It's like an 80's VCR! And there are loads of decent games coming up for the GC. Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Melee, SW: Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion... I'll stop now before you think I'm trying to raise my word count to become a regualr by shamelessly just listing loads of Game Cube games. ;-)
TPHI
and then of course there's pokemon... *shudders in disgust* ;-)
Sat 13/04/02 at 16:24
I think the gamecube is better than an X box because, its affordable, excellent graphics, and small. The only problem is that there are not many games for it most of them are expensive. Gamecube is cheap because Nintendo want everyone to have one, so they made it affordable.
Wed 10/04/02 at 20:59
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Oh yeah, and the Pokemon mini. (WHYYYYEEEE??) oh well, at least its another addition to the nintendo family.:)j
Wed 10/04/02 at 20:57
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Totally. I am very happy with what nintendo have done, they must be so busy, with GBA a year ago and now the gamecube. :)
Wed 10/04/02 at 20:55
"Mimmargh!"
Mr. Chainsaw wrote:
> we should be rejoicing at £165 not poo pooing it! About £200 quid
> cheaper than the X-Box launch! c'mon, who needs a DVD player, hasnt everyone
> got one anyway.

Its true! Why pay all that money for a DVD on X-box? If I wanted to play DVDs I'd buy a DVD player, consoles are for games.
Wed 10/04/02 at 19:55
Regular
"hit the road jack"
No problems for me, £15 extra wont kill me but its not really on considering when i payed, it was £150, then they put it up a notch :)j
Wed 10/04/02 at 19:52
we should be rejoicing at £165 not poo pooing it! About £200 quid cheaper than the X-Box launch! c'mon, who needs a DVD player, hasnt everyone got one anyway.
Wed 10/04/02 at 19:48
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Beanz is NOT lying, i heard exactly the same thing!! some magazine mentioned it a year or so back!! :)j

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.