GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Powercuts and Broadband [PPP login problems]"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/09/14 at 14:37
"Are you sure?"
Quick story :¬)

My area suffers from a lot of power cuts/blips - the power company are looking into things but that's another story...

I was all up and running this morning and sorting things with a busy morning ahead, then while drinking my first cup of coffee the power went and then returned!

The PC restarted fine, Outlook recovered it's open PST but I noticed the router didn't have it's PPP/Internet light on. Line sync was fine.

The logs showed 'Authentication failed' - I tried to manually connect a few times without joy. I was now late for an appointment so I left things as they were.

After returning at lunchtime the router showed the same. I swapped the router for a spare in case something zapped the original - although all looked fine. The spare router also 'failed to authenticate'.

Hmmm... nearly time to contact Freeola.
I thought I would leave the router off for 20 minutes (that's a long time when you are itching to use it!) in case my 'session' had gone into a weird state at Freeola's end and it needed to be left disconnected to allow things to be cleaned up.

After a quick sandwich and a long 20 minutes I started back up - success, I'm back! :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/09/14 at 10:32
"Are you sure?"
Been trying since 8 to get online...
No PPP session. Authentication often OK, sometimes failing?!
Swapped routers just in case. Sync fine but no doubt DLM is just about to stamp on me as I've done so many restarts!

Updated support ticket.
Restarted at 10.30. If Freeola/Entanet are able to investigate my session that would be good.

Thanks
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: 12:44
"PPP Link Up" !!! :¬)
Mon 08/09/14 at 13:56
"Are you sure?"
It's going to be a bit painful if I have to do this each day to get online...

As you know, on Thursday I'm due to move to FTTC.
If this issue is still ongoing it could be a bit tricky to see if my move has worked (or where the problem is) if the PPP connection is still misbehaving.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 08/09/14 at 13:37
Regular
"Why so srs?"
Hmmm... wrote:
Morning.
Can't get on this morning.
Tried 3 restarts so far. Router shows "disconnected by peer".
Logs show " authentication OK" so slightly different than recent PPP problems.

I'll raise a ticket as I see the status page item has been closed.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: I'm online! Ticket 199726 raised.

That was painful. 5 router restarts/waits so get here - over an hour wasted. Not the best start to a Monday morning, wish I'd stayed in bed now!

FWIW I used to see Faraday references to my PPP login but now I'm seeing Ilford.

Please let me know if you need any more info - is this just me?
I appreciate most customers won't turn their kit off overnight.
But on my (20CN) line it works for me - I connect a 6Mbs when lots of my neighbours are around 2 or 3 so nursing it along helps.

Thank's for raising the ticket, glad to see you're back online!

The network status message has been removed as the vast majority of customers have now come back online. The issue seems ongoing for one or two clients with no direct link between them, as in not the same location along with entirely different equipment being used.

The additional details are quite handy, whilst there's little that we can do with them we may be able to press further up the chain to get greater information.

If you experience the fault again please open a ticket and we'll look at it as soon as we can.
Mon 08/09/14 at 08:19
"Are you sure?"
Morning.
Can't get on this morning.
Tried 3 restarts so far. Router shows "disconnected by peer".
Logs show " authentication OK" so slightly different than recent PPP problems.

I'll raise a ticket as I see the status page item has been closed.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: I'm online! Ticket 199726 raised.

That was painful. 5 router restarts/waits so get here - over an hour wasted. Not the best start to a Monday morning, wish I'd stayed in bed now!

FWIW I used to see Faraday references to my PPP login but now I'm seeing Ilford.

Please let me know if you need any more info - is this just me?
I appreciate most customers won't turn their kit off overnight.
But on my (20CN) line it works for me - I connect a 6Mbs when lots of my neighbours are around 2 or 3 so nursing it along helps.
Sat 06/09/14 at 10:43
Regular
"Why so srs?"
Hmmm... wrote:
srs_wubwub wrote:
[i]Hope all is well with you too Hmmm...

Thanks srs_wubwub - all OK at the moment.

I've had a few problems this morning and had to use the 'power off and wait' technique again.

In case others read this - don't power your router off/on too many times in quick succession as it will upset the 'line management software' (DLM) and could put you on a go-slow profile!

It does this by raising your Target SNRM as it might think your line is unstable.

[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

Another brilliant nugget of advice Hmmm... .
Sat 06/09/14 at 09:48
"Are you sure?"
srs_wubwub wrote:
Hope all is well with you too Hmmm...

Thanks srs_wubwub - all OK at the moment.

I've had a few problems this morning and had to use the 'power off and wait' technique again.

In case others read this - don't power your router off/on too many times in quick succession as it will upset the 'line management software' (DLM) and could put you on a go-slow profile!

It does this by raising your Target SNRM as it might think your line is unstable.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 06/09/14 at 09:37
Regular
"Why so srs?"
DL wrote:
srs_wubwub wrote:
[i]
Not to take over the thread from Hmmm... but did you reset your router at all?

How do srs ...

Connection was lost. Tried to access router but no go. Powered off. Restarted and no acccess allowed whatsoever to router. Access finally and then no settings. So imported back-up settings copy ... so important, so save them!! and all was ok and is as we post. Thanks for asking[/i]

Ah righto, I would highly recommend keeping a back up of your settings as you have. In fact if it gains enough interest I'll look towards producing guides on how to create backups for the most used routers.

Hope all is well with you too Hmmm...
Fri 05/09/14 at 22:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
srs_wubwub wrote:

How do srs ...

Connection was lost. Tried to access router but no go. Powered off. Restarted and no acccess allowed whatsoever to router. Access finally and then no settings. So imported back-up settings copy ... so important, so save them!! and all was ok and is as we post. Thanks for asking
Fri 05/09/14 at 21:36
Regular
"Why so srs?"
DL wrote:
Yup, still on-going as far as we are aware. Some users are seeing multiple disconnects, while others are seeing it once only.

Guess you're one of the less fortunate!

Now I've read the thread again ... had this problem last night about 11 ish. Router didn't want to know ... router, when I could access it had lost all settings, restored back-up copy and back about 12.30 am this morning.[/i]

Hi DL,

The issue that you describe sounds similar to the other reported issues but it is unlikely that the loss of credentials within your router would be down to this. It's more a problem on the BT network whereby the log in information your router supplies for the connection is just rejected and thus no connection is allowed.

Fri 05/09/14 at 19:55
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Yup, still on-going as far as we are aware. Some users are seeing multiple disconnects, while others are seeing it once only.

Guess you're one of the less fortunate![/i]

Now I've read the thread again ... had this problem last night about 11 ish. Router didn't want to know ... router, when I could access it had lost all settings, restored back-up copy and back about 12.30 am this morning.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.