GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"That little voice!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/04/02 at 00:15
Regular
I love buying a new game! Everybody does, a fresh new game to get your teeth into. If your anything like me, impatient, you may even buy one from a shop, in the high street - shock horror, sorry SR! Anyway when you get into the game shop you normally know the new releases. The games that have been advertised in shop fronts, on the TV, on the internet and everywhere. This makes you look at those games first. I mean lets face it if millions of people have that game then it must be good ... right?

This is the problem i have when i go to buy a game. I immediately go for the games that everyone has got, be them good or bad. Then i stop and think. 'Is this game actually what i want?' Am i just following the 'crowd' because everyone says its great? Then i slowly turn the box over and put it back on the shelf. I avert my eyes towards different parts of the shelf in search for more games. This is when i come to the next problem. I start thinking! What type of game do i want? Action, puzzle adventure, role playing game, first person shooter? This then takes a while to decide and when i do decide i see a different game and i have to start thinking all over again!

What i am trying to say i that its very hard trying to choose a game when you have no game in mind. Do you go with what your mates said, do you make a rash decision and hope the game turns out well? Or do you just walk out and wait until a game comes out that you actually want. I normally go for the games that my mates have thinking they must bo good but then i hear a voice. "dont buy that game, buy a game that you have never heard of - your bound to like it". I listen to the voice and pick up a game i have never heard of, walk to the counter, take out my money and buy it. Before i know what has happened i'm standing outside the shop with a carrier bag, and a game in it that i have never heard of. Its sort of an annoying habit!

Sometimes what i have just described can be good. You can get a great game and its made by some unknoen games producer. Sadly most of the time you end up buying a lame game that you end up taking down the road and trading it in. So do you stick with the game designers you know? Do you buy games that everybody has got, just because they must be good? Do you go for a genre that you like then pick a game, be it known or unknown? Do you look at review after review and know the game and its plot before you even buy it?

All these questions have to be answered when buying a game. How do you decide? I should stop listening to that little voice - it costs me too much money!

Mr. Chainsaw
Tue 09/04/02 at 20:07
Regular
"Bah"
Mr. Chainsaw wrote:
> I've noticed that some of the lesser known titles being released, for the PS2,
> are dropping their prices a bit. It may only be by £10 or so but still
> this could tempt more people. If lesser known titles keep doing this i may be
> able to experiment more, ie. buy two games instead of one well advertised game.
> This could mean there is more of a future for less well known producers. What
> do you think?

i saw this as well -shaun palmers and tony hawks 3 for £19.99 as well as Smackdown (the PS2 version cant remember name!) for only £24.99 in HMV/Woolworhs what a bargain!
Tue 09/04/02 at 20:06
Regular
"Bah"
Some good points rasied but i find that some games are hyped up so much that people expect to much of them -the same thing happens with films but MGS2 to me was not a disapointment however the massively underhyped devil may cry was (that =may sound contrdicatry i mean it was hyped but not mcuh and alot of people raved ova it) ubt im still looking foward to FFX!
Steve
Tue 09/04/02 at 18:13
I've noticed that some of the lesser known titles being released, for the PS2, are dropping their prices a bit. It may only be by £10 or so but still this could tempt more people. If lesser known titles keep doing this i may be able to experiment more, ie. buy two games instead of one well advertised game. This could mean there is more of a future for less well known producers. What do you think?
Tue 09/04/02 at 08:25
Regular
I get very tempted to buy less fashionable games when I'm in a games store.
For instance, yesterday I was half to the counter with "Mister Moskeeto" (PS2) in my hand..... then I realised I was about the pay $40 for a game that COULD be total s***.
"G1 Jockey" is another one that tempts me.
I just wish I had money to burn so I could experiment a bit more.
Tue 09/04/02 at 07:00
Regular
I tend not to go into a shop thinking 'I'm going to buy a game, but I don't know what yet'. Usually, because of financial reasons I wait until a certain game is released and go into the shop with the purchase of buying that particular game.
Tue 09/04/02 at 01:37
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Seinfeld_Enthusiast wrote:
>look at their review of South Park for example.

No please dont remind me, bought that game with my birthday money, i would have been better smoking it.
Tue 09/04/02 at 01:16
cookie monster wrote:
> I usually always go on the opinion of a games magazine, because buying a duffer
> is the worst feeling imaginable. If i do decide to buy a game i usually know
> everything about it before i buy it, i like it that way, i know what to expect
> and how long it will last. Since i don't buy them that often it is essential i
> pick a good 'un.

Couldn't agree more. Back in the N64 days, I was a subscriber to N64 magazine and they never got it wrong; completely independent and 100% reliable. Every game I got was a cast-iron certainty to entertain me, there were no duffs. I never went near the offical magazine. How could you? They're blatantly going to dress up shoddy games for their own ends, look at their review of South Park for example. Out of interest, what is the nearest PS2 magazine to this?
Tue 09/04/02 at 00:53
I agree that you must make the right choice but there is something about not knowing what a game is going to be like. You get scared that its going to be lame but you are also excited that you may have found the game of your dreams (sorry for it sounding corny!). I have found loads of games that have been great through just buying them on a wim. Well maybe not loads, but when i was little i didnt have the internet, didnt buy mags etc. so i had to go on my own instincts. I found lots of good Amiga games and i didnt even know if they were popular or not. Maybe we are influenced to much by magazine reviews and media in general? Why not let the gamers decide, i know thats what magazines try and do but some of them you just cant trust. Plus different people have different tastes in games so you cant always go by what a review says.
Tue 09/04/02 at 00:52
Regular
"omlette du fromage"
Yeah that's a very good comment Cookie i have to say i agree wiv u i mean i'm looking for sum games atm and i'm pondering whether to buy Max Payne for £20 cos I haven't bought any games recently apart from MGS2 and i wanna good game. And the only thing that swaying me is that Max Payne wasn't hyped about as much as other games for the PS2
Tue 09/04/02 at 00:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I usually always go on the opinion of a games magazine, because buying a duffer is the worst feeling imaginable. If i do decide to buy a game i usually know everything about it before i buy it, i like it that way, i know what to expect and how long it will last. Since i don't buy them that often it is essential i pick a good 'un.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.