GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/12/07 at 14:50
Regular
"Author of Pain"
OK, so I was just in Game in Staines. I was innocently perusing the PC chart when out of the corner of my eye, some 8-10 year old kid slaps Oblivion and some other game down I didn't quite see on the counter. The bloke on the till peers down at him and asks politely "is anyone else with you?", to which the kid responds by silently pointing behind him to who I presume was his mother.

What happened next shocked me completely. Till chap says to hovering lady person "I'll need you to be at the till for the transaction, as both of these games are rated 15". Woman looks down at little 8 year old, back at till bloke and shuffles forward.

Transaction goes through. 8 year old successfully purchases 2 15 rated games and goes off to play them, mother in tow.

In ten year's time, after this kid has hacked twelve people to death with a machete before killing himself by boring parker pens into his eyes, they will blame the video games.

Not the crappy parents. Not the guy in Game who knew he was selling games to someone too young to own them, but didn't care as long as he covered his own a**e. Genius.
Mon 10/12/07 at 17:21
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Is there any actual evidence that a game that's rated as a age
> above the child using it can actually -damage- the child?

There is evidence, whether you consider it strong or plausible is another story entirely. So I guess the answer is no.
Mon 10/12/07 at 17:09
Regular
This might sound a bit weird but hear me out

Is there any actual evidence that a game that's rated as a age above the child using it can actually -damage- the child?

I've always seen it as a very individual thing.. but still - is there any proof it's dangerous?

It's easy to say 'they're there for a reason' but what's the reason?

And yes I'm serious
Mon 10/12/07 at 16:05
Regular
"you've got a beard"
it`s not Games responsibility to parent every child that walks through their doors. to my mind it`s up to the parent.

all that and i got refused service for alcohol because my drivers license doesn`t have a picture on it (pre-photocard ;) ), i ask you, where`s the justice? :D
Sat 08/12/07 at 22:55
Regular
"eat toast!"
yes it annoys me as well that poor parenting is a cause for concern. Frankly the daily heil has screwed most of public opinion on video games. But i'm sure as the years go by, our generation who have become parents the stories will simmer away.

Its like cartoons. "OH NOES! KIDS ARE COPYING CARTOONS. LOOK HOW HE JUMPED OUT OF THE WINDOW THINKING HE WAS A SUPERHERO!!!!"

They've survived it. So can the games industry. Hoepfully.

More of a concern now is gaming addiction and when parents neglect looking after children just so they could play games (the korean couple who went off for an hour to play WOW actually spent several hours which by that time their kid died of suffocation and neglect).
Sat 08/12/07 at 22:19
Regular
"Author of Pain"
The point is spoony that games have age ratings for a reason. Yes, the people who go on the rampage are arguably mentally deranged regardless of their exposure to video game violence, but being witness to excessive violence in movies, or enacting such in video games when already in such a vulnerable mental state clearly exacerbates the problem.

And as long as people are providing underage kids with this sort of material, it allows the idiot brigade to paper over the cracks of our society when one of these loons goes postal by pointing at violent video games, instead of rightly questioning the adequacy of parenting and the effectiveness of the industry's regulation.

A violent game or movie isn't on its own going to screw someone's head up, but at the same time, I wouldn't sit my 8 year old kids down to watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Sat 08/12/07 at 22:04
Regular
"eat toast!"
maybe the mother had some common sense and knew that violent video games has no affect of violent behaviour. She probably knows that the murderous kids who played games are:

A)mentally disturbed
b)Strange
c)Deadbeats

So she believes that shes in the majority beliving the stuff is safe.

Whether her son will be part of the minority when she was believed she was part of the majority is a different question altogether...
Sat 08/12/07 at 21:59
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Whats the point? The kid is going to get the game regardless. If the guy behind the counter had just handed over the game then yeah sure, nail him to the wall but he didnt. He shouldnt be punished for the parents stupidity.
Sat 08/12/07 at 21:48
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Dob in the shop, more than likely they'll be tested again and will fail miserably and a hefty fine will come their way and maybe theyll think twice next time.
Sat 08/12/07 at 21:42
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I dont think it's particularly fair to screw over the shop when it's the parents fault. You know full well that if he'd refused to sell the woman would simply have gone up to the counter herself and no doubt caused him hassle at the same time.
Sat 08/12/07 at 21:36
"possibly impossible"
Current law states that it's still illegal to sell games if you know that the person who is buying them is passing them on to someone younger.

I say shop 'im!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.