GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Sony - With Compliments - From Nintendo!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/04/02 at 17:33
Regular
If you can buy something for £5 and sell it for £15, you can make money. Of course, to be able to do this constantly and to a significant degree, you need to have a decent amount of business sense.

Publishers and Developers, in the dog-eat-dog world that is the videogames industry, need to have quite a good head for business... Why? Because otherwise their game would flop. Period.

If you were a games publisher and you had the choice to release your 'Mickey Mouse' Platformer on any of the Next-Generation consoles, which one would it be?

X-Box? I hardly think so - not with the consoles target market.

The only real two contenders are Playstation 2 and GameCube. Why? Because the GameCube's audience is predominantly under 18, and the PlayStation 2 has the biggest installed user-base. But hold on... Look at ALL the games for PS2... there are literally hundreds. I've no doubt that the next issue of SR's magazine will use up more than one page for the PS2 game list. The competition is so stiff, and whats more there are a number of AAA titles waiting to eat your game alive! To be honest, if you want your game to do well on PS2, you'll have to make it a damn good game!!

Now, if it were to be released on GameCube, there wouldn't be as much competition. Sure there are a handful of kiddie titles to compete with, but the competition is still of a lesser quantity! But err... just because there isn't as much competition, doesn't mean to say you have a higher chance of scoring sales. Sure, the PS2 has a bigger library, but there are far bigger dogs in the GameCube yard - Mario, Zelda, StarFox, Resident Evil, Metroid, Luigi, PIKMIN, Wave Race, Sonic!! And that's just within a year or release (...In Japan, at least).

Naturally, you'd release your game for PS2. Why? Because of the user-base... added to which, the quality average of each game on PS2 is lower than that of GameCube's - It's a fact that Nintendo consoles sport better games of a much higher quality. Bascially your game wouldn't need to be as good if you're releasing it on PS2 as it would if you were releasing it on GameCube. (I'm not saying there are no AAA PS2 games, i'm not that stupid.)

Developers know that releasing games for PS2 gives them a better chance of attaining high sales figures for the game due to the reasons given above, and so they release their game for PS2.

AND I'M SO GLAD THEY DO!!

Why? Because if they didn't, they'd turn on GameCube and lower the quality of the games! There'd be as many games for GameCube as there are grains of salt in the sea! Sure, there'd still be Mario and Zelda, StarFox and Metorid, but I wouldn't be surprised if the quality dropped slightly, purely because the competition was so lacklustre!

Mario and Zelda will never die... nor will Nintendo. This is because Nintendo does just enough with their home consoles to get by. The GameBoy Advance has made Nintendo BUCKET LOADS since it's launch last year, Pokémon did the same the year before... Nintendo don't just rely on GameCube, they've got loads of other ways they make their bread, and boy do they bake truck loads!

If all these third party titles hit GameCube like they do PS2, it'd ruin the whole console and the concepts behind Nintendo's morals. PlayStation 2 can have the top spot so developers and publishers are lured away from releasing their filth on GameCube, because I know Nintendo do more than enough to get by and because they do, the games I love will be around for ages!

So here's to you Mr. Sony, a lovely Gold medal... and remember to keep it shiny sunshine, so you keep attracting those sparkly-eyed developers and so we get any of your filth, got it?!

Game: Happy With The Untainted Silver Medal! (Or Bronze... either way, I don't mind!)
Thu 11/04/02 at 10:53
Regular
"accidental superher"
Phi11ip wrote:
> There is one large factor that is going to affect the launch of the Gamecube,
> exams. I had my GCSEs last year and I didn't want to buy a PS2 because I knew I
> would play it all the time and not revise (I didn't revise much anyway so it
> really didn't make a difference!) But there are many people out there (most
> 16,17 and 18 year olds) who will not buy a console becasue they want their exams
> to come first like me. Nintendo sales will be slow at first but they may pick up
> towards the end of June if they are lucky.

i goto boarding school so during the summer term i just leave my consoles at home to prevent myself from playing :)
Wed 10/04/02 at 15:05
Regular
I got my A2 final exams coming up in May/June. Is that gonna effect my purchase of Gamecube? Hell no! Although i can see how others might be affected...
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:44
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
There is one large factor that is going to affect the launch of the Gamecube, exams. I had my GCSEs last year and I didn't want to buy a PS2 because I knew I would play it all the time and not revise (I didn't revise much anyway so it really didn't make a difference!) But there are many people out there (most 16,17 and 18 year olds) who will not buy a console becasue they want their exams to come first like me. Nintendo sales will be slow at first but they may pick up towards the end of June if they are lucky.
Wed 10/04/02 at 11:35
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Releasing a console just before Summer doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I mean... before Christmas people beat every penny out of their wallet or credit cards... but then you have new year and you're trying to recover financially, then Easter is upon you, and you go on holiday... then it's summer! And what sane parent would buy their child a games console when it's 28 degrees outside, they've just got a new swimming pool and even a new Barbeque!

I honestly think the price is a very big factor... if people play the games, they're bound to enjoy them, so the cheap price tag is just a bonus...

Nintendo know what they're doing... the only thing they suck at is release dates. I bet they don't bring Mario out here until 2006!

I wonder if this whole 'UK GameCube plays 60hz games which makes porting games much easier and which decreases the time it takes to release games in the UK' thing will have any effect on when the games are released.

Naturally, you don't want to release too many games at once so people miss them, but 5 month gaps (like with Banjo Tooie) just aren't cool.

Word.

Game
Wed 10/04/02 at 09:53
Regular
'cool' gaming or 'townie' gaming... it is just my mates got it i'll get it...

as for 25,000 in the UK that is very good considering there is only 80,000 or below being shipped to the country and of course only half will pre-order.
Wed 10/04/02 at 09:20
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I can't wait for GameCube... actually waiting for it is more exciting than playing PS2.

I don't think i'm well suited to PS2. The whole idea of 'cool' gaming just doesn't click...
Wed 10/04/02 at 01:38
Regular
Back to GC pre-orders.

UK pre-orders have already reached 25,000. Ninty expect that figure to reach 50,000 in time for launch.

With Adverts already on TV they should reach that figure. I think X-box sold 48,000 at launch so thats pritty good going.
Wed 10/04/02 at 01:34
Regular
Well I suppose it was just down to people complaining about the lack of games for the N64 launch. Nintendo surely didnt want to make the same mistakes again.

When you get a larger variety of games you are always going to get some dodgy ones in there.
Wed 10/04/02 at 01:12
Regular
"accidental superher"
Dringo wrote:
> The fact is rubbish doesn't get through or at least very rarley, Nintendo are
> very tight when it comes to poor games, they look out for new ideas but if a bad
> game comes along they'll know about it...

having a look at the gamecube reviews on ign.com...so far i'm not too impressed...there have only been very few very good/ good games...the rest are VERY MEDIOCRE if not plain bad.....have a look yourself and tell me it's not depressing when you see it
Tue 09/04/02 at 16:59
Regular
The fact is rubbish doesn't get through or at least very rarley, Nintendo are very tight when it comes to poor games, they look out for new ideas but if a bad game comes along they'll know about it...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.