GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online gaming? Nintendo are just being silly now..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/04/02 at 23:13
Regular
So, the Gamecube is compatable with Broadband and Modem adaptors, but it seems that Nintendo have no real plans.

Judging with their quotes, it seems to me that they're just being pedantic and awkward.

First they were saying about profit.
Fair enough, you'd think, so why not make cash out of putting adverts up.
You select the option to go online and an advert comes up for you to stare at while the modem connects to the server...

Or other advertising along those lines...

If it was JUST a matter of profit, they'd have eventually worked out a plan, but newer quotes seem to confirm that they're just being silly now.

"Think about this. If we make a game online, only the people who have bought a modem can play it wheras it we keep it offline, ALL gamecube owners can play it."

That's just pedantic. Nintendo, you are not meant to make the game EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE straight from the word go, because that WOULD be unprofitable.

Don't they understand is that all we want is a standard multiplayer game with the OPTION to go online.

Sega know EXACTLY what to do.
Make the game 4 player splitscreen offline and give the option to be online if players desire.
That's why Phantasy Star Online will be bought by both online and offline players.

What Nintendo need to realise it that we're not too fussed about some big giant plan for a grand online RPG that they don't want to have to make.

All we want is to race F-Zero against people across the country and across the world.
I want to be able show the PS2 and Xbox owners who's boss on Turok Evolution.
Is it too much to ask for the chance too shoot Grix in the head on Perfect Dark without having to go all the way to Wales?!?!?

Nintendo please! Stop trying to jump in the deep end and bailing out at the last minute!

Test the water at the shallow end with existing multiplayer games to get your gamers online...
Then, as you gain confidence you can go for the deeper more complex stuff like a grand RPG.

Otherwise you'll never get anything done and just get left behind...
If it wasn't for Sega, the GC modem probably wouldn't be being released...
Sat 06/04/02 at 23:13
Regular
So, the Gamecube is compatable with Broadband and Modem adaptors, but it seems that Nintendo have no real plans.

Judging with their quotes, it seems to me that they're just being pedantic and awkward.

First they were saying about profit.
Fair enough, you'd think, so why not make cash out of putting adverts up.
You select the option to go online and an advert comes up for you to stare at while the modem connects to the server...

Or other advertising along those lines...

If it was JUST a matter of profit, they'd have eventually worked out a plan, but newer quotes seem to confirm that they're just being silly now.

"Think about this. If we make a game online, only the people who have bought a modem can play it wheras it we keep it offline, ALL gamecube owners can play it."

That's just pedantic. Nintendo, you are not meant to make the game EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE straight from the word go, because that WOULD be unprofitable.

Don't they understand is that all we want is a standard multiplayer game with the OPTION to go online.

Sega know EXACTLY what to do.
Make the game 4 player splitscreen offline and give the option to be online if players desire.
That's why Phantasy Star Online will be bought by both online and offline players.

What Nintendo need to realise it that we're not too fussed about some big giant plan for a grand online RPG that they don't want to have to make.

All we want is to race F-Zero against people across the country and across the world.
I want to be able show the PS2 and Xbox owners who's boss on Turok Evolution.
Is it too much to ask for the chance too shoot Grix in the head on Perfect Dark without having to go all the way to Wales?!?!?

Nintendo please! Stop trying to jump in the deep end and bailing out at the last minute!

Test the water at the shallow end with existing multiplayer games to get your gamers online...
Then, as you gain confidence you can go for the deeper more complex stuff like a grand RPG.

Otherwise you'll never get anything done and just get left behind...
If it wasn't for Sega, the GC modem probably wouldn't be being released...
Sat 06/04/02 at 23:21
Yeah, im pi*sed off that i cant play a good online shootem up on a cube. That would be sweet!. The thing is that it may not get them profit initially, setting up servers e.t.c. but after a while more people would buy a cube cos it goes online.
Sun 07/04/02 at 00:31
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Strafex wrote:
> If it wasn't for Sega, the
> GC modem probably wouldn't be being released...

Unfortunatley i would have to agree, Nintendo have been quoted repeatedly in digitiser as saying they are shelving their online gaming plans, a great loss indeed.
Sun 07/04/02 at 00:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yet the other consoles seem to be making no headway - PS2 has been out for 2 years and done very little. Nitnendo are waiting, and are devloping several mainly-online games for the GC.
Sun 07/04/02 at 08:30
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
http://special.reserve.co.uk(remove space)/news/story.php?id=1627&af=newslistspecialreserve

You have probably already read it, but I think it answers some of your questions.
Sun 07/04/02 at 08:35
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Nintendo should bundle the Phantsy Star Online game with the modem so a least then anyone who buy's the game would get the modemv !!!
Sun 07/04/02 at 08:41
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Maybe, but that would put the price up, and not everybody will want a modem.
Sun 07/04/02 at 08:45
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
I see your point because Phantsy Star Online will have a four player mode which could be good ! The only thing I want to know is how much will the modem cost and want about internet charges etc ?
Sun 07/04/02 at 08:50
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I reckon the price will be about £30 and as for the call charges, well, they will have to be reasonable for people to acctually spend time on there, or they could probably charge you something like £15 per month with unlimited access.
Sun 07/04/02 at 08:56
Regular
I really don't like online gaming. Especially if its going to put the price of consoles up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.