GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola FTTC (Fibre Broadband)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/01/14 at 14:09
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
My knackered old BT Exchange is due to be upgraded this summer to support FTTC under the government BDUK project! :¬)

I've measured my line to the local cabinet and it's around 600m, so I should see around 35Mbps download (up from the current 6Mbps on my longish line).

Can you say when you will be documenting your FTTC offerings on your Broadband page?

In previous forum posts you didn't want to discuss pricing but as FTTC is getting more and more popular I'm hoping you will be publishing some official information soon?

There are lots of competitive packages available so I'm hoping you haven't published details yet as you are still investigating your options.

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 09/01/14 at 14:09
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
My knackered old BT Exchange is due to be upgraded this summer to support FTTC under the government BDUK project! :¬)

I've measured my line to the local cabinet and it's around 600m, so I should see around 35Mbps download (up from the current 6Mbps on my longish line).

Can you say when you will be documenting your FTTC offerings on your Broadband page?

In previous forum posts you didn't want to discuss pricing but as FTTC is getting more and more popular I'm hoping you will be publishing some official information soon?

There are lots of competitive packages available so I'm hoping you haven't published details yet as you are still investigating your options.

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 09/01/14 at 18:01
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hmmm... wrote:

Pretty much this, yes. We're still looking into what can be offered.
You can always contact our Support Department for more information but you might not be able to get FTTC until September according to your county council website.
Thu 09/01/14 at 19:01
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles.
As you say FTTC probably won't be available unit the end of the summer for me - but I noticed today BT have started marking out the site for the new cabinet so things are moving.

I'll keep my eye on Freeola's developments!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Edit:
FYI I did contact you a while back for one of my clients but couldn't convince them to stay with Freeola at the packages offered...
Thu 09/01/14 at 20:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Edit:
FYI I did contact you a while back for one of my clients but couldn't convince them to stay with Freeola at the packages offered...

Nice to see that you might be able to surf in the modern world soon Hmmm ;¬)

I did mention when my exchange migrated to ADSL2+ last year and FTTC was offered that the Freeola price was 'rather astronomical'!

(In fact the post was deleted/edited by Staffies as it contained information ... i.e the 'individual' price offered per month! I can still remember the price, if you need it posting.)

An upgraded exchange to ADSL2+ ... you should be flying soon ... 21mb download and 2mb upload here!

Do you need FTTC?

:¬)
Thu 09/01/14 at 20:36
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
As I mentioned, I've contacted Freeola about prices.
My line has an attenuation of 48db so ADSL2+ won't be much benefit to me and can actually be unstable on long lines as the higher frequencies increase attenuation so FTTC is my best bet.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 09/01/14 at 21:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Hi DL,
As I mentioned, I've contacted Freeola about prices.
My line has an attenuation of 48db so ADSL2+ won't be much benefit to me and can actually be unstable on long lines as the higher frequencies increase attenuation so FTTC is my best bet.

Just as you like Hmmm, thought I'd try to be proactive ... but nice to talk again :¬)
Thu 09/01/14 at 22:35
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If the requirement for 12 month contract from Openreach was removed then smaller providers could be more competitive. So perhaps you could put in a word for us with OFCOM ;)
We're not officially offering FTTC yet, that is why prices were removed from posts.
Thu 26/06/14 at 11:07
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
Since writing this my local FTTC cabs are in place and things appear ahead of schedule. The availability checkers shows a June estimate but I can see the fibre isn't actually being laid until July - but things are getting closer!

Are you close to announcing official prices/packages etc. or am I still better contacting you directly?

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 26/06/14 at 17:37
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You'd best contact us directly Hmmm..., although I see that from next month the 12 month wholesale contract requirement is being removed for FTTC migrations (not activations yet unfortunately, so not helpful for you) so that will help!
Thu 26/06/14 at 17:56
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles,
Will do.

I see the FTTC migration charge is also going from £50 to £11 which is all good - though many ISPs would swallow this anyway.

Re. the change in migration costs. Does that mean if Freeola introduce a more competitive package I'll be able to switch to it if I'm already on the current FTTC offering and not have to wait 12 months?

Thanks again and I'll contact you directly for my imminentish FTTC move!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.