GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Decision"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/11/13 at 15:42
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Hi guys, I'm looking to you all for a little bit of a discussion to help me make up my mind on what I do. With the next generation of consoles coming to the battlefield, I have a decision to make.

Xbox One vs. Playstation 4? Is that the question? 'Fraid not, I've already made my likely choice in this, I've always preferred the Sony-exclusives side, a PS+ subscription that lasts another 10 months or so and a PS Vita dictate that the PS4 is the smart choice for that. That's not what I'm concerned about.

No, in fact, the question is this. Playstation 3 vs. Playstation 4?

As many of you may have gathered from the lack of review posts on my part and what little posts I've managed in the last few months, my PS3 is all but dead. Likely a GPU problem, it struggles with any game that requires any use of the sort of upper end power that the PS3 is capable of. Tomb Raider showed off the approximate line that the console allows - knocking the console off around 7 or 8 times before I managed to complete it. WWE '13 gives the dreaded blinking red light after merely minutes of play.

As it stands, I have a list of highly anticipated games that I just haven't been able to play thanks to the reduced capabilities of a dying consoles. Assassins Creed 3, Mass Effect 3 and Max Payne 3 sit almost unused on my shelf. The allure of GTA V, Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, some of the supposed greatest games of this generation lie unpurchased and potentially never to be played due to inability rather than a lack of will.

I currently use my girlfriend's console - recently starting and 100%ing inFamous 2. It is but a temporary fix as she will want it back soon, likely to pick up Kingdom Hearts HD ReMIX or something of that ilk.

And thus, that leaves me here, at the crossroads of a generation.

Do I take the leap into the next generation, picking the PS4 up in the next few months, hoping to be satiated by the few games of interest scattered within the release window? Do I do this knowing that I will again miss out on gems of the previous generation, unlikely this time to see another surge of HD remakes , especially of HD games. Do I do this with the promise of what is to come, the beauty and technical marvels of improved engines and calculations.

Or do I stick? Do I attempt to traverse the backlog of this generation, to sift through all that I already have, spending enough to delay my foray into the next generation by at least a year, and possibly more? Do I take the opportunity to renew myself in the old, and bask in what is to come from the final days - the absolute best that the PS3 has to offer?

This I cannot decide - I am to miss out either way. Simultaneously win/win and lose/lose.

Let me know what you think, I need the help!
Sun 24/11/13 at 13:47
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
So, despite all of the "bad decisions" Microsoft made regarding their new console, and despite the rampant "I'm not going to invest in the next gen gear until they sort it out" brigade doing their best to spread disconcert amongst the gaming populace, despite the ludicrous £430 price tag, the shortage of quality release titles, the promised support of 360 for the next few years, the apparent back-pedaling done by Ms, the industry concerns over the supposed lack of love for the new gear....

Despite all that...

Over one million consoles on launch day. Seems okay to me...

Not that I ever doubted it...
Tue 19/11/13 at 14:42
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Thing is, if my console had failed say, last year, I'd have no problem - replacement bought and most likely I'd be playing GTAV right about now, The Last of Us would have been finished and I'd be picking a PS4 up in March with the inFamous bundle and giving myself a nice big shiny "deadline" where I could try and finish the best of what I've got left to do, and have a nice period of crossover play like I did when the PS3 came out.

I'm on my 3rd Megadrive (granted that's a long scale) and my 5th PS2 (that, unfortunately is between PS2 launch and PS3 launch) - would have been nice for my PS3 to last from launch to launch.
Mon 18/11/13 at 17:50
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Aah, the age- old question amongst console gamers....

"Do I invest in the new console so that I can have even less choice of games right now, or do I wait until something that actually appeals to me comes along?"

Boy, am I glad I don't have to contend with that little conundrum!:-)
Sat 16/11/13 at 13:43
Regular
"I like turtles"
I would stick with current gen for now as well, that's what I'm doing. Sit back and let Sony & Microsoft beat each other up for a year and then look to reap the rewards. Most seem to suspect the PS4 will steal an early march so it will be interesting to see what (if anything) Microsoft do to respond if that does indeed happen. After the colossal fail that was the Xbox One launch I suspect Microsoft may need to go that extra mile if they want to compete. Like you HF there are loads of titles I have still not got round to playing on my current gen console (which incidentally I am still happy with) so I'm quite happy to work my way through those as I when I can for now. Other forthcoming big releases are still going to be available on the current gen machines. Also I suspect the lack of backwards compatibility on both machines will be an issue for some, don't know about you guys but I can't fit any more boxes under my TV.
Fri 15/11/13 at 23:15
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'd say stick with the PS3 for a year. New consoles never hit their stride until around 18 months after launch and by that time they're usually £100 cheaper, plus you can avoid the rumours of a major potential launch problem for the PS4.
Fri 15/11/13 at 21:39
"possibly impossible"
I'd stick with PS3 for now. Give it 6-12 months and they'll be some must have games on PS4, but that's a long time. By then you could have played loads of PS3 games.

I guess you have been downloading or purchasing all the PS Plus games, too, so there's those to play and more to come. You can grab all the PS4 PS Plus games on PC as well and have a big batch of free games ready for you when you finally get around to getting a (probably cheaper and more stable) PS4 when the time comes.
Fri 15/11/13 at 15:42
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Hi guys, I'm looking to you all for a little bit of a discussion to help me make up my mind on what I do. With the next generation of consoles coming to the battlefield, I have a decision to make.

Xbox One vs. Playstation 4? Is that the question? 'Fraid not, I've already made my likely choice in this, I've always preferred the Sony-exclusives side, a PS+ subscription that lasts another 10 months or so and a PS Vita dictate that the PS4 is the smart choice for that. That's not what I'm concerned about.

No, in fact, the question is this. Playstation 3 vs. Playstation 4?

As many of you may have gathered from the lack of review posts on my part and what little posts I've managed in the last few months, my PS3 is all but dead. Likely a GPU problem, it struggles with any game that requires any use of the sort of upper end power that the PS3 is capable of. Tomb Raider showed off the approximate line that the console allows - knocking the console off around 7 or 8 times before I managed to complete it. WWE '13 gives the dreaded blinking red light after merely minutes of play.

As it stands, I have a list of highly anticipated games that I just haven't been able to play thanks to the reduced capabilities of a dying consoles. Assassins Creed 3, Mass Effect 3 and Max Payne 3 sit almost unused on my shelf. The allure of GTA V, Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, some of the supposed greatest games of this generation lie unpurchased and potentially never to be played due to inability rather than a lack of will.

I currently use my girlfriend's console - recently starting and 100%ing inFamous 2. It is but a temporary fix as she will want it back soon, likely to pick up Kingdom Hearts HD ReMIX or something of that ilk.

And thus, that leaves me here, at the crossroads of a generation.

Do I take the leap into the next generation, picking the PS4 up in the next few months, hoping to be satiated by the few games of interest scattered within the release window? Do I do this knowing that I will again miss out on gems of the previous generation, unlikely this time to see another surge of HD remakes , especially of HD games. Do I do this with the promise of what is to come, the beauty and technical marvels of improved engines and calculations.

Or do I stick? Do I attempt to traverse the backlog of this generation, to sift through all that I already have, spending enough to delay my foray into the next generation by at least a year, and possibly more? Do I take the opportunity to renew myself in the old, and bask in what is to come from the final days - the absolute best that the PS3 has to offer?

This I cannot decide - I am to miss out either way. Simultaneously win/win and lose/lose.

Let me know what you think, I need the help!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.