GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who thinks the PS2 dvd player is a good one?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/04/02 at 23:32
Regular
I mean, yea its cool that there is one there, but is it a good one? dvd players these days are pretty nifty pieces of machines and come for fairly cheap prices, but the PS2 one is fairly sloppy in ways. examples are sound fallin out of sync, and only basic options durin the play of a film.
just wonderin if anyone there thinks that its acually a good player?

Glucose_Addict.
Sun 07/04/02 at 19:27
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
To be fair, the lip sync problem is different depending on what machine you have. Some early ones are awful, and some don't have the problem at all. The new DVD drivers might fix things though. When it happens, it is a pain in the backside cos' you have to pause it, then unpause it.

The bottom line is that the PS2 DVD playback is only adequate, and nothing else. If you are prepared to put up with it's flaws and accept them, then go for it. Otherwise, a dedicated player that costs just £100 is loads better nowadays.
Sun 07/04/02 at 18:19
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Good good. I decent answer from someone. Thnx!

:)
Sun 07/04/02 at 18:16
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Well, he doesn't actually. Slight exaggeration there.
Sun 07/04/02 at 18:16
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I think the PS2 DVD player is pretty good. It's definately better than my PCs DVD drive, anyway. The only problem is, most DVDs are designed for widescreen telly's now, so if you have a stndard TV like mine, it squashes it up to make the picture fit the screen, so anything that's supposed to be circular comes out like an egg shape, Shrek looks like he's been on a diet (since I played it on my PC) and Russel Crowe in Gladiator looks thinner than a microphone pole!
Sun 07/04/02 at 17:44
Regular
"Whatever!"
Cooky wrote:
> This lip sync problem some of you have mentioned.

How bad it is
> really?

I've only ever onced watched a film on a PS2 and didn't see that
> happen.

Its not that bad at all!! If it happens all you need to do is pause then unpause it then its back to normal!!
Ive never really had any problems with my PS2 whilst watching DVD's!!
Sun 07/04/02 at 17:14
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
This lip sync problem some of you have mentioned.

How bad it is really?

I've only ever onced watched a film on a PS2 and didn't see that happen.

Sun 07/04/02 at 15:54
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
Res€vilfan wrote:
> The PS2s DVD player is fantastic. With an RGB cable, region x and the remote
> control you'll have quite a system !!

The PS2s DVD playback is not fantastic, it plain sucks like I said. For a clapped out old 14" TV it might be OK, but for anything else the picture is grainy (even with RGB or S-Video cable) and the sound is cack unless played through a seperate amp that costs a few hundred quid.

Like someone else posted, the PS2s DVD is "adequate" if all you want to do is watch a film and aren't bothered about the picture quality and lip sync problems.

You need to buy another memory card for the updated DVD drivers (or lose a large chunk of the capacity of your existing one), and the Region X is a right pain in the A** cos' you have to insert the "region X" disk each time you want to watch a movie.

My advice if you really want DVD capability is still to either get an XBox, or get a Gamecube and a seperate dedicated multi-region player.
Sat 06/04/02 at 21:14
Regular
"Back For Good"
The PS2s DVD player is fantastic. With an RGB cable, region x and the remote control you'll have quite a system !!
Sat 06/04/02 at 20:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Or†ega wrote:
> The PS2's DVD playing ability is a nice extra. Sure, it aint the best quality
> and has its problems but its fine for my 14" TV in my bedroom.

Ive got a 21" TV in my room, i think its making me get square eyes though.
Sat 06/04/02 at 20:00
Regular
The PS2's DVD playing ability is a nice extra. Sure, it aint the best quality and has its problems but its fine for my 14" TV in my bedroom.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.