GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The one way road into the future"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/04/02 at 22:09
Regular
Remember the scene about two years ago? On the brink of the 128 bit console age, we begin to hear about the new crop.

Promised are some of the greatest gaming innovations of all time. Just as the 32/64 bit age introduced us to 3D gaming, this age was to realise online gaming, give us photorealistic graphics, introduce handheld-console link ups and advance games to the emotional level.

Imagine that- playing a game that would evoke real emotions when you were playing! Sony even called their console's processor the "Emotion Engine" to point this out!

So, here we are, two years later, and what's happened?

Online gaming has collapsed. The Dreamcast's user base was far too small to warrant serious research in online gaming, and the lack of a standardised modem in the PS2 and GC will lead to a similar disinterest in the area. Even MS, with their huge wallets, haven't capitalised on the online idea yet!

In fact, all the other innovations promised have failed to be released except for one: better graphics.

Whereas the actual nature of games- their gameplay, originality and emotional content- has remained unchanged, the graphics used by them have increased enourmously.

If anything, ideals such as gameplay have actually been worsened by the graphics-driven game market. When was the last time you played a game as perfectly balanced as Street Fighter 2 or Mario Kart (SNES)?

So it would certainly appear that the future is indeed a one way road centred on graphics. There's not even any incentive to do anything differently: game sales are getting higher and higher- if it ain't broke don't fix it! Where will it all end? Perhaps when photorealistic graphics are reached at the end of the decade, then developers will begin to focus on gameplay and emotional content more?

Sonic
Thu 04/04/02 at 22:10
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Gar-J, I'm really impressed with your posting! I saw quite a lot of your stuff in the Sega room, and I completely agree about Sony trying to snipe Sega- every time Sega made a DC announcement, Sony would come up with a MORE elaborate lie about the console!

As for VVVVV, I agree with you completely. 3D games are getting better, but are still off the mark. That said, this still doesn't address the other issues. Sony PROMISED emotional gaming, all the manufacturers had massive online dreams, and so much more!
Thu 04/04/02 at 21:54
Regular
The Emotion Engine in the PS2 was so called to circulate hype in a console that just can't deliver.

Sony released all these 'specifications' and claims that the PS2 was so powerful individual blades of grass would move in the wind in games, people would have real hair etc. Instead, we have essentially what we had with the Saturn, PS1 and N64 - green textures for grass and polygon heads!

The hype was just that - hype, to sting Sega's sales of the Dreamcast.
Thu 04/04/02 at 21:39
Regular
I know what you mean about 3D gameplay being behind and not as balanced as 2D gameplay, but 3D gameplay is getting there, albeit slowly.
Just look at the variety of gameplay in Metal Gear Solid 2: even though the player is still on a predetermined path, there are many, many ways of getting from A to B in terms of your personal gameplay strategy.

I also think that the personalities of characters in games are improving and becoming more believable, and as a result the player's emotional response is being provoked more and more.
I thought the characters in MGS2 and Silent Hill 2 were particularly well crafted.
Again, this aspect is not where we thought it would be, but it's getting there.
Thu 04/04/02 at 00:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
V., I disagree completely! If anything gameplay is worse than ever.

When was the last time you played a game as perfectly balanced as Street Fighter 2 or Mario Kart?

Although I'll admit that there are some improvements, 3D gameplay is still well behind 2D gameplay. For example, you say that GTA3 lets you do things in your own way. Surely this is the WHOLE point of 3D games?! The fact that it's only been done now (and not that well) makes my point!

We were PROMISED games like "The Getaway" that REALLY let you do whatever you want! Yet nothing like that has arrived!
Wed 03/04/02 at 23:57
Regular
I think gameplay and graphics have progressed at about roughly the same rate.
A year or so ago many were dreaming of huge interactive gameworlds like those found in GTA3 and Shenmue, and now we have them.
Take GTA3: many of the missions can be completed in many different ways (depending on the creativity of the player) - this is a progression of sorts.
Games such as ICO have introduced a new ideas into the "realistic platformer genre".
But I will admit that all the innovations in gameplay have been more of a little jump rather than a giant leap.
Wed 03/04/02 at 23:42
Regular
Maybe we should wait for the next era for the internet to really take off, maybe we are a little too soon...
Wed 03/04/02 at 23:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dringo, how did I know you'd point out the Nintendo difference!

I agree that there are still some great companies that make original games that use gameplay over graphics, however I think you'll concede that such companies are in the minority (Especially in the West!)

Now, as for the other points, like the lack of Internet gaming, although every manufacturer has given their plans for online gaming how many have done anything? Even when they do, the fact that modems are not standard means that they WILL be undersupported!

Sonic
Wed 03/04/02 at 23:26
Regular
Ah so Sonic you've accidentally found the Nintendo difference...

Gameplay over Graphics always been the way for Nintendo, Super Mario Sunshine isn't that great graphically, yeah it runs smoothly which is all adds to the gameplay but graphically it just looks nice, no flair, 100% gameplay... look at Zelda for a prime example...

But I agree with your feeling that Internet gaming isn't as it should be... Nintendo were unsure about it which means one thing and one thing only... a slow start.

Nintendo are so obviously working on the next Mario game being online, but that will be after Final Fantasy and Phantasy star Online edition 1 and 2 makes internet more popular and in turn more profitable. It will be better in the end for the internet... but Nintendo are making great efforts to try new things.

1: The E-card reader, this works on the GBA but also can effect the Gamecube games, small data like items etc... can be downloaded onto games... this shows when the ent does take off Nintendo will probably have internet downloads.

2: GBA link up, over half of the Gamecube games will use it and in turn helps the e-card reader... believe you me this willr evolutionize the way we play.
Wed 03/04/02 at 22:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Remember the scene about two years ago? On the brink of the 128 bit console age, we begin to hear about the new crop.

Promised are some of the greatest gaming innovations of all time. Just as the 32/64 bit age introduced us to 3D gaming, this age was to realise online gaming, give us photorealistic graphics, introduce handheld-console link ups and advance games to the emotional level.

Imagine that- playing a game that would evoke real emotions when you were playing! Sony even called their console's processor the "Emotion Engine" to point this out!

So, here we are, two years later, and what's happened?

Online gaming has collapsed. The Dreamcast's user base was far too small to warrant serious research in online gaming, and the lack of a standardised modem in the PS2 and GC will lead to a similar disinterest in the area. Even MS, with their huge wallets, haven't capitalised on the online idea yet!

In fact, all the other innovations promised have failed to be released except for one: better graphics.

Whereas the actual nature of games- their gameplay, originality and emotional content- has remained unchanged, the graphics used by them have increased enourmously.

If anything, ideals such as gameplay have actually been worsened by the graphics-driven game market. When was the last time you played a game as perfectly balanced as Street Fighter 2 or Mario Kart (SNES)?

So it would certainly appear that the future is indeed a one way road centred on graphics. There's not even any incentive to do anything differently: game sales are getting higher and higher- if it ain't broke don't fix it! Where will it all end? Perhaps when photorealistic graphics are reached at the end of the decade, then developers will begin to focus on gameplay and emotional content more?

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.