GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ungrateful"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/04/02 at 19:40
Regular
The Playstation 2, and most of it's owners, really didn't deserve Metal Gear Solid 2 at all. Maybe the PC gamers should have got it, or the Xbox fans..... Let me explain.

Derided by many magazines who got hold of import copies and acclaimed by the Official Magazine which was then accused of being biased, Metal Gear Solid 2 has become the game many love to hate. Initial criticism covered the stupendously long cut scenes - the famous "20 minuter" - Raiden having blonde hair, the opening level of Big Shell being identical to the original game, the Big Shell level being too similar to the original game, minor graphical glitches like disappearing bodies and so on. In hsort the game was ripped apart, bought by many, taken home, finished in a weekend and that was it. The Playstation 2's greatest game had come and gone.

Ever since the introduction of the CD-ROM on PCs gamers, magazines and the whole games industry has clammered ofr a truly cinematic game. We've all wanted to play in our own movie yet have a certain amount of control, and a decent plot that would fit on osmethng bigger than a postage stamp, a plot that really made us think, a unique one bigger than "kill the bad guys and save the girl".

Well in Metal Gear Solid 2 we finally got it. A plot so unique that it surpassed the MAtrix and every X Files ever made. What is reality and does it matter ? Feelingsan experience are everything.

Hideo Kojima is a genius. But many couldn't see past Raiden's blonde locks......

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a seminal miliestone of a game. But many just dashed through it in 3 hours......

We didn't deserve it, lets hope Kojima doesn't also think that way of us Europeans as well eh ?
Wed 03/04/02 at 19:40
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
The Playstation 2, and most of it's owners, really didn't deserve Metal Gear Solid 2 at all. Maybe the PC gamers should have got it, or the Xbox fans..... Let me explain.

Derided by many magazines who got hold of import copies and acclaimed by the Official Magazine which was then accused of being biased, Metal Gear Solid 2 has become the game many love to hate. Initial criticism covered the stupendously long cut scenes - the famous "20 minuter" - Raiden having blonde hair, the opening level of Big Shell being identical to the original game, the Big Shell level being too similar to the original game, minor graphical glitches like disappearing bodies and so on. In hsort the game was ripped apart, bought by many, taken home, finished in a weekend and that was it. The Playstation 2's greatest game had come and gone.

Ever since the introduction of the CD-ROM on PCs gamers, magazines and the whole games industry has clammered ofr a truly cinematic game. We've all wanted to play in our own movie yet have a certain amount of control, and a decent plot that would fit on osmethng bigger than a postage stamp, a plot that really made us think, a unique one bigger than "kill the bad guys and save the girl".

Well in Metal Gear Solid 2 we finally got it. A plot so unique that it surpassed the MAtrix and every X Files ever made. What is reality and does it matter ? Feelingsan experience are everything.

Hideo Kojima is a genius. But many couldn't see past Raiden's blonde locks......

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a seminal miliestone of a game. But many just dashed through it in 3 hours......

We didn't deserve it, lets hope Kojima doesn't also think that way of us Europeans as well eh ?
Wed 03/04/02 at 19:41
Regular
I appreciated it...but that's because I have never played MGS1. If I had, I don't know what I'd have thought
Wed 03/04/02 at 19:43
"High polygon count"
Belldandy wrote:
> minor graphical glitches like disappearing bodies and so
> on.

Heh, yeah - that kills me when people moan about that. Name one videogame where bodies DON'T disappear!

Even Halo on the Xbox suffers 'disappearing body' syndrome.

Personally, I think MGS2 is a masterpiece - cutscenes included.
Wed 03/04/02 at 19:45
I'm a Pc gamer, bah i don't want it, keep it.
Wed 03/04/02 at 19:46
Regular
I never played the first one aswell so i appriciated it more but i do fel it was a let down, i am a big rpg fan and i like my games to be big, this was not big or long and too repatative, if you ask me they spoiled the broth.
Thu 04/04/02 at 00:21
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Personally, I think MGS2 is a masterpiece -
> cutscenes included.

I agree totally with that comment.
Thu 04/04/02 at 00:59
Regular
"omlette du fromage"
Yes i never played the first one but i did enjoy the game very much and thought it was excellent although i did think that it was very much a let down in that there were obviously way to many cutscenes some as long as forty minutes and not enough gameplay. Towards the end i found that it was like an eternal struggle just getting through those last cut scenes. Plus there was no variety in the environment and levels watsoever u just stay in the same place doing the same thing until u complete it. Plus at the end i thought that the storyline got very gay. It was like it was trying to be sorta like the matrix i spose in that nothing in jack's environment was real. But it was done in a gayer way, in that it was too lovey dovey. But overall i'd disagree that everyone shud've grateful for it because ppl who played the first one wud've had much higher expectations than me and even i didn't think that it lived up to it's hype. Obviously it was excellent but MGS gamers need something more than just excellent!
Thu 04/04/02 at 12:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Some very good points there Belldandy, most of what I've heard in some of these other PS/2 threads are moans about the very thing you describe. I loved the first game, unlike most other PSone games it gave us a proper, compelling story which was well written and well acted. I never once thought the cut-scenes were over long and boring, and didn't mind sitting through them no matter how long they were.

As for MGS2, well I've yet to get my copy, but I'm sure the game won't be as 'bad' as most people say it is. I prefer games with a decently written story and Metal Gear Solid is one of the only games I've played which does this well enough. Just so long as the game keeps me entertained I don't care how long it takes me to complete, as its not the the length that made the origanal MGS so great, it was the quality of everything else Hideo Kojima put in for us.
Thu 04/04/02 at 12:10
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
>Heh, yeah - that kills me when people moan about that. Name one videogame where bodies DON'T disappear!

Do the bodies disappear in Perfect Dark?? I can't remember.
Thu 04/04/02 at 12:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
Heh, yeah - that kills me when people moan about that. Name one
> videogame where bodies DON'T disappear!

---

Silent Hill 2.
I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.