GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If Nintendo Were 'Cool'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/10/02 at 13:20
Regular
In the eyes of many gamers around the world today, Nintendo are 'un-cool' and 'childish' when compared to the more 'mature' companies like Microsoft and SONY.
We all know that, and it is probably something that'll never change.
I reckon everyone will still be saying that even in a year's time, after Zelda, after Metroid, and maybe even after Mario Kart.
Nintendo have been around for well-over 100 years, but this means nothing to those people who probably loved that springy sounds you heard when you pulled the trigger and quacked a duck in Duck Hunt back in the NES days, only a decad-or-so ago.

But you have to wonder what life for us, and everyone else who shares a passion for computer and video games, would be like if Nintendo were today consider as-'cool'-as SONY, or maybe even more-so.
Of course, the GameCube would be topping the charts and would be well on its way towards breaking all previous records set in such a short-space of time, but would Nntendo really be the same company that we Nintys know and love as they are today?

I think not. I believe they would be completely different. And it's all because of the consumer's demands and needs for Nintendo Gaming.

Mario and The Legend of Zelda are the 2 Nintendo titles that first come to your head when you think of the Japanese giants and Shigeru Miyamoto.
These games alone are nothing quite-like anything else we, as gamers, have ever experienced on another format or even an Arcade system, to-date.
I believe this is mainly down to the fact that Nintendo have always spent a great deal of time and care into creating new games for their own consoles as we VERY rarely see a game from Nintendo themselves that is dissapointing and just another 'average' game on the market. In-fact, I can't even think of ONE game, dating all the way back to the days of the NES! Anyway....
If Nintendo hadn't given these games the time they've deserved then not only would they possibly come-out even shorter (imagine an even-shorter Pikmin of Luigi's Mansion... :S ), but games like Mario SunShine would be lacking those extra 'little details' that matter, like how you can slide through the oil for ages, and just like how you can bounce up-and-down along those tightropes.

Look at some of the games SONY and Microsoft have produced themselves.
Can you even THINK of any besides Flight Simulator on the PC?? I can't!
These 'cooler' companys buy people to do all the hard-work for them.
SONY this year brought the rights to the Grand Theft Auto series, meaning that from No.3 onwards, not GTA could appear on any other console except the PlayStation 2 - up-untill 2004 though, when this deal ends. And Rockstar are the guys behind this, and several other top PS2 titles - but not SONY themselves.
And let's not forget the Final Fantasy series, perhaps the most popular RPG-Adventure series available in today's market - in-competition with The Legend of Zelda. If Nintendo and Square hadn't 'broken-up' for one reason or another then SONY PlayStation and PS2 would today probably be FF-less as the N64, GameCube and GameBoy Advance would have them all. But because of this, RPG fans have looked towards SONY for Final Fantasy alone.
By looking at the names there and knowing there are so-many more you can't help but admit that is an impressive list of titles there. Is this what Nintendo would be like if they were 'cool' and 'popular'? Would we barely-ever see a Mario or Zelda game from the console developers themselves - let-alone a 'good' game??

As we all know, Microsoft recently aquirred the exclusivew services of Rareware - the company formerly owned by Nintendo who saved the N64 with the likes of Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Now, when you think what these games - along with the likes of Halo - and more could do for the X-Box, you can't help but to be amazed. Look more closely and you'll see that all these games and many more have either been developed by 3rd Party names like SEGA, or someone Bill Gates has just spent his weekly-earnings on like Rare, and like Bungie.

So it looks even more likely that if Nintendo were as 'cool' as these 2 that:
1. They wouldn't be developing their own games for the console, meaning; no Mario, no Zelda, and no more innovation's like Pikmin.
And 2. They'd be getting all the others companies to do the work for them. And because a majority of these games would be multi-format, gamers could still decided to choose the latest PlayStation over Nintendo's newest effort.

A world without Mario, a world without Zelda...
Is this something we would really want??
No way!

We may not like the critisism Nintendo recieves for flooding a console with their own games suitable for a wider audience, but in the long-run, it all works out for the best for us. We should NEVER wish for Nintendo to become as popular as SONY and Microsoft, we would only be hugely dissapointed with the lack of Nintendo we'd be getting in the Grand Theft Auto's and Halo's we'd be getting every 6 months.
No-one ever wants something good to change.

"Nintendo suck!" :D
Sun 20/10/02 at 10:58
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Yep, Nintendo est. 1884, started off as a Japanese trading card
> company, but that's another story :D.
>
> Nice post, but the thing is, Nintendo don't need to be 'cool'. I mean,
> look at sales. Mario Sunshine, a supposedly 'kiddy' game is vastly
> outselling 'cool' games such as Halo, GTA3, Onimusha 2, Hitman 2, etc,
> etc.
>
> If Nintendo aren't cool, then they're something else. Something
> different. And it works.
>
> :D

Here here, Nintendo must be a pretty powerful company if they have gone from a card company to probably the most sucessful games company ever.
Also games like Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness are not gong to be uncool. Finally, what matters is your enjoyment, not what's cool. If you don'y enjoy it fine. :D
Sun 20/10/02 at 03:42
Hey man nintendo has ruled every aspect and still does. Your bitching because you won't listen.
Fri 18/10/02 at 20:55
Regular
Yep, Nintendo est. 1884, started off as a Japanese trading card company, but that's another story :D.

Nice post, but the thing is, Nintendo don't need to be 'cool'. I mean, look at sales. Mario Sunshine, a supposedly 'kiddy' game is vastly outselling 'cool' games such as Halo, GTA3, Onimusha 2, Hitman 2, etc, etc.

If Nintendo aren't cool, then they're something else. Something different. And it works.

:D
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:18
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It's true, Nintendo were once a Trading Card company.
And yes, they did start of that way, over 100 years ago!

Someone else will tell you the same. :P

But I still don't think Nintendo would have the time to make the great games we are getting on the GameCube now if they were as-cool-as SONY or Microsoft. These companies obviously don't have a lot of time to do create great things like Mario SunShine, or the abillity. So they buy people like Rare and pay other people to make their console sell.

If Nintendo were like them then I think they'd be too-busy trying to satisify each-and-every-on of their HUGE, demaning public to spend a good year-or-so on an epic-sized adventure like Zelda.
Thu 17/10/02 at 22:52
Regular
stupid caps lock, anyway they werwe a trading card company but 100 years, no way
Thu 17/10/02 at 22:41
"Wa-wa-west"
nintendo have been around for more than 100 years? what planet are you on?
I own a PS2, GC and an N64, just for the benfit of having all the great games. I don't own an xbox simply because Bill Gates annoyes me soooo much. And the only game I like on it is Halo. Oh well, better luck next time Bill.
Thu 17/10/02 at 22:08
Regular
Jetster wrote:
>people don't post here just for GAD. GAD is just an added bonus.
Uh.....Yeah!
*Lokks around in a paranoid state*
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:41
Regular
"One More Chance"
Untitled wrote:
> a blatent game a day hopeful if ever there was one,

You know people do posts on this forum to share their view on things with people and yes some times people's opinions can be longer than a paragraph, so I think you need to understand that people don't post here just for GAD. GAD is just an added bonus.
Thu 17/10/02 at 20:30
Regular
"NJAN"
i agree that the original post was well thought out and it put across some good points. but untitled is right, it is a game-a-day hopeful. but then again, half the posts in here are too. and sometimes they make for pretty good reading so... keep it up!

amos.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Untitled wrote:
> a blatent game a day hopeful if ever there was one,

he's a better poster than you by far and thinks well about what he posts, unlike you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.