GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega - The GameCubes Rare?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 22:33
Regular
Over the last couple of weeks, following the departure of Rare to Microsoft, I have been thinking about the Gamecube and which developer is going to be the one whotakes the bull by the horns and create some wonderful exclusive games. Whom will be the Gamecubes saviour? The N64 had RARE, but who in Gods name will the Gamecube have?

The more I think about it, he more I think about it being SEGA. 3 out of my 5 GC games are made by Nintendo's former rivals, and tomorrow it will be turned into 4 out of 6 when I buy Virtua Striker (Just to let you know, the other 2 games are all Nintendo ones).

The games I own (Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 and Super Monkey Ball) are only a small part of the pleathora of games that they currently have out, or are coming out soon, for the GC at the moment, including Beach Spikers, Soccer Slam and Phantasy Star 1 and 2.

These games don't match up to the sheen and polish of a RARE game and you could argue that point. SEGA though, are more about good games often rather than superb games once in a blue moon.

Also, the situation for the GC isn't as bad as it was for the N64, and with many more producers bring out games for it, the GC doesn't need a 'killer' producer now.

You've got to look on the other side though. With Microsoft getting Rare, they are going to have all of the 'AAA' titles that the GC should've had as well as all the multi-platform games, which leaves the GC on the backfoot. The Head Honcho's at Nintendo need to act quickly.

I think that Nintendo should use the vast sums of money that they earned from RARE wisely and buy a large share in SEGA and get them to sign an 'exclusive' contract. Wouldn't it be great to see Virtua Fighter 4 on the GC?

Read this Shigsy. Read it and take note.
Fri 18/10/02 at 22:33
Regular
"Festivus!"
Over the last couple of weeks, following the departure of Rare to Microsoft, I have been thinking about the Gamecube and which developer is going to be the one whotakes the bull by the horns and create some wonderful exclusive games. Whom will be the Gamecubes saviour? The N64 had RARE, but who in Gods name will the Gamecube have?

The more I think about it, he more I think about it being SEGA. 3 out of my 5 GC games are made by Nintendo's former rivals, and tomorrow it will be turned into 4 out of 6 when I buy Virtua Striker (Just to let you know, the other 2 games are all Nintendo ones).

The games I own (Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 and Super Monkey Ball) are only a small part of the pleathora of games that they currently have out, or are coming out soon, for the GC at the moment, including Beach Spikers, Soccer Slam and Phantasy Star 1 and 2.

These games don't match up to the sheen and polish of a RARE game and you could argue that point. SEGA though, are more about good games often rather than superb games once in a blue moon.

Also, the situation for the GC isn't as bad as it was for the N64, and with many more producers bring out games for it, the GC doesn't need a 'killer' producer now.

You've got to look on the other side though. With Microsoft getting Rare, they are going to have all of the 'AAA' titles that the GC should've had as well as all the multi-platform games, which leaves the GC on the backfoot. The Head Honcho's at Nintendo need to act quickly.

I think that Nintendo should use the vast sums of money that they earned from RARE wisely and buy a large share in SEGA and get them to sign an 'exclusive' contract. Wouldn't it be great to see Virtua Fighter 4 on the GC?

Read this Shigsy. Read it and take note.
Fri 18/10/02 at 22:42
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I'm not so sure, granted Sega make great games but their more of one hit wonder arcade games to me.

Take Crazy Taxi, a fantastic game and the sort of idea gameplay that's on par with Rare's creativity but it doesn't really last long and doesn't hook you as much after the initial wow factor.

Sonic is good too but it's no Banjo beater, I'm sure if Sega tried they could easily produce something amazing and who knows Nintendo could be having words as we speak telling them so now Rare have gone but at the moment I wouldn't say Sega were trying to fill Rare's shoes.

Good post mind, you make some good points :)
Fri 18/10/02 at 22:56
Regular
Nah. Sega aren't quite Rare, and they seem to be favouring the Xbox anyway.

The closest Nintendo have, to filling Rare's gap are Retro and Silicon Knights, who might not quite be Rare, but are great in their own right.

Anyway, I think you're missing the point.
If Nintendo really needed to replace Rare, they wouldn't have sold them in the first place. They've now got plenty of support from third parties in general.

Not to mention their own games...
Fri 18/10/02 at 22:57
Regular
"Festivus!"
But having a Rare Type figure can only help can't it?
Fri 18/10/02 at 23:11
Regular
I think Nintendo are much better developers, they never make a bad game, but SEGA do.

Although having said tht, SEGA make a bigger variety of games, especailly since they became software only developers. I agree that having SEGA make all games exclusive to the Gamecube would boost sales and help attract more customers, but I'm not really bothered about it myself.

Sonic is going down hill. While Mario made a more than succesful leap into the 3D world, Sonic games are getting worse and worse. The best being Sonic Adventure (which wasn't great), then SA2 which was pretty average, and then Sonic Shuffle, which was dismal.

Then they make a lot of sports games, which I'm not into. And then theres rubbish like Panzer. Crazy Taxi should haved stayed in the arcades and so should House of The Dead. Can you beleive that House of The Dead 2 on the DC, was not only 10x easier, but also *shorter* than the arcade verison. It was pathetic.
Fri 18/10/02 at 23:37
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Nah, Sega aren't the next Rare. They make some quality games but seldom are they Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Banjo beaters.

Plus, they're a different sort of developer. I can't think of a great FPS or platformer from Sega. And don't say Sonic!
Fri 18/10/02 at 23:47
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
In fact, I am pondering over the possibility of buying an X-Box. Pretty much only for Gotham Street Racing, Rare games, and Shenmue games. GameCube obviously comes first though.
Sat 19/10/02 at 07:50
Regular
"Festivus!"
But really, who else could take Rare's throne? All I am saying is that GC exclusivity would be fantastic.
Sat 19/10/02 at 09:27
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Sega aren't the next Rare. The Gamecube has always had a developer and a company far better than Rare that consistently turns out high quality, original and varied games.

That company would be Nintendo.

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 19/10/02 at 14:16
Regular
Like you said N64 really was having a tough time and rare and nintendo kept it afloat. Luckly now due to the change to disc, and easyer to develop on, more developers are making games for GC.

And with GC "renting" out their mascots to other developers, namco for starters, not only do they have a chance to show them how much help they lend to them, what its like creating games for the GC (both of which could push them in favour of making more games just for the GC).

Also with the other western companies that are 2nd party developers for GC being given the chance to make a game that will be stood out and noticed, and if done well mean they become a well known company.

Your right about sega not being as good as rare but you also state about rare releasing a game once every full moon which is right, and i think id rather have 4 above average games instead of 1 good game.

Now the whole microsoft having rare thing. Im let to be thinking of buying the xbox becuase...
1. We are yet to see how well rare can develop on the console.
2. with many of the well know employees of rare leaving does this mean they wont be that good anyway.
3. the rush factor, microsoft want 3 games before next year from them.
4. Will microsoft give them a lot of help, like nintendo, or will they just leave them with a load of cash.
5. With nintendo 64 they were getting good games from nintendo at the same time with their characters being well known, can microsoft have the same success with their characters and rare alone?

What to do with the money, i say that with that they can easily drop the price of the cube and spend money on the internet thing while being ok money wise, incase for some reason they happen to lose money from it, but im sure the software title will bring them profit.

Maybe use the money to buy little companies and invlove them to greatness.
Or just give many good companies, like squaresoft and namco etc which are big names but at the moment seem to have no roots.

Also when is miyamotos 50th birthday?

there you go anothjer long post from boz..sorry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.