GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega - The GameCubes Rare?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 22:33
Regular
Over the last couple of weeks, following the departure of Rare to Microsoft, I have been thinking about the Gamecube and which developer is going to be the one whotakes the bull by the horns and create some wonderful exclusive games. Whom will be the Gamecubes saviour? The N64 had RARE, but who in Gods name will the Gamecube have?

The more I think about it, he more I think about it being SEGA. 3 out of my 5 GC games are made by Nintendo's former rivals, and tomorrow it will be turned into 4 out of 6 when I buy Virtua Striker (Just to let you know, the other 2 games are all Nintendo ones).

The games I own (Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 and Super Monkey Ball) are only a small part of the pleathora of games that they currently have out, or are coming out soon, for the GC at the moment, including Beach Spikers, Soccer Slam and Phantasy Star 1 and 2.

These games don't match up to the sheen and polish of a RARE game and you could argue that point. SEGA though, are more about good games often rather than superb games once in a blue moon.

Also, the situation for the GC isn't as bad as it was for the N64, and with many more producers bring out games for it, the GC doesn't need a 'killer' producer now.

You've got to look on the other side though. With Microsoft getting Rare, they are going to have all of the 'AAA' titles that the GC should've had as well as all the multi-platform games, which leaves the GC on the backfoot. The Head Honcho's at Nintendo need to act quickly.

I think that Nintendo should use the vast sums of money that they earned from RARE wisely and buy a large share in SEGA and get them to sign an 'exclusive' contract. Wouldn't it be great to see Virtua Fighter 4 on the GC?

Read this Shigsy. Read it and take note.
Mon 21/10/02 at 18:22
Regular
lol i was just running down the list for the last time i posted here, i missed my name but catched the glance of some of the writing, i saw numbers and was thinking great cant wait to read that, looks staty and pofesonal...then realised it was me.

anyway we all like diffrent type of games, my fav is shoot'em'ups, my worst games are racing.

Rares main games are...
Perfect dark - shooter
Banjo - platformer
conker - platform/shooter/spoof type thing
jet force gemini - shooter
Goldeneye - shooter

*starts running out of game names :S

games they worked on were DK64, star fox.

Those are the main games people know them for, cant remember any more.

so its 3 shooters, 2 platformer types.

well now shooters are a common thing, TS2, james bond, die hard etc.. So really we wont miss much, with new things in perfect dark 0 and jet force X being added to games such as TS3.
Platformers we have mario..need i say anything else.

They were big for shooters as goldeneye, most people would say, made them, were they are today, Donkey kong country was very good but goldeneye was such a big game as FPS werent home on home consoles that much.

Now like i said shooters are common now.

So yes it is sad to see them go, but we have games to take their place and also go on living knowing that nintendo moulded them into one of the best developers ever, proving nintendo are great :)

But we havent seen a rare game on xbox yet so lets just wait...as for sega..stay multi format.
Mon 21/10/02 at 17:33
Regular
"Festivus!"
Never played it, sO I can't pass judgement... back to Mario Kart 64...
Mon 21/10/02 at 17:29
Regular
Are you insane?

Shenmue is crap!

It's not an adventure game either, I don't even consider it a game, theres about as much 'gaming' in Shenmue as there is pork in a vegetarions diet.
Mon 21/10/02 at 17:18
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I love SEGA (but not quite as much as I love Nintendo).
But despite all that and the great SEGA games I have played, for some reason I just don't think it would all work-out for the best if Nintendo did splash-the-cash on SEGA.

There's a chance that the spark in their long-term rivalry could re-light the fire and send the 2 going head-to-head again.
SEGA have never really been a company who are told what to do, where-as Nintendo may treat them like that.
Sonic and Mario on the same console regulalrly... just doesn't seem right.

I would love it, but it just wouldn't seem right.
Sun 20/10/02 at 17:05
Regular
Rare are gone, but a developer such as them is not a necessity to Nintendo any more. The GameCube is great for developing games, and so has attracted many third and second party producers.

Nintendo are the best developers in the world, and you can tell that just by sales figures. They can now keep the GameCube very well afloat with just their and a selection of one-offs (e.g. NAMCO's StarFox).

However, if Nintendo want to go further than just second place, then they will be looking to buy out an important developer. Someone like SEGA, CAPCOM, NAMCO or Rockstar Games would be a good choice.

Personally, I think SEGA are just as good as Rare. Sure, they've had their share of under par titles, but haven't our once favourite western developers too? Think Perfect Dark and Conker on the Game Boy.

Also, the Rare that was made famous for Goldeneye 007 are long gone. Some went to Silicon Knights and Retro Studios, others set up Free Radical Design that now makes the Timesplitters series. What's left is a company we are yet to see produce a game on their own.

Now SEGA, they've had some fantastic games in their time. The Shenmue series is fantastic, and a brilliant adventure game. Also, how about Super Monkey Ball, Phantasy Star, Skies Of Arcadia and the Sonic series? If SEGA do well with that, no doubt they could overshadow Rare.
Sat 19/10/02 at 20:01
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
the only way to avoid exclusivity ... is to buy every console !
Many of you are now going to say "We are only 14 , we cant afford 3 consoles and all the games to go with them"

I AM 14 ! I find ways of making money ! Just buy stock from wholesalers , go onto ebay , and sell it ! Buy little gifty items like jet lighters, they cost anything from 50p upwards , and you can get from £4 for them. I've ordered 24 of them for around £1.30 each +VAT , so for about £50 ive got £100+ worth of stuff to sell, making around £70 profit.

If you want it hard enough , (i,e , you want all the exclusive titles and the extras that each console provides) then you can ! (i know im sounding like one of those "get rich" schemes but it really does work) I haven't got my xbox yet or my ps2 ,i might not get a ps2 , but i really want an xbox for the games. Use you xmas money for something worthwhile , spend it on stock , sell it , then buy all the games and stuff later. Trust me , it will pay off.

anyway , back to the topic , i dont think sega are the next rare, if they were then they all ready would have proved it. They are good at arcade games , and the odd adventure that they churn out (which are very good) and all the other stuff they make , but they are no Rare. They just dont perfect and then perfect some more their games, i dont mind having a good game every couple months , but id rather have an earth shatering game every two years. How many of you can say you never liked waiting for RARE's games ? I 4 one hated it , but on the other hand i couldn't stop thinking about the damn thing, so it was good.

Just buy all the consoles , you'll be much happier.
Sat 19/10/02 at 17:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I doubt Sega could be the next Rare, just becuase they are still Multi Format. XBox has a decent line up of Sega games. Crazy Taxi 3, Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT, Shenmue 2 + 3 e.t.c.
Sat 19/10/02 at 14:16
Regular
Like you said N64 really was having a tough time and rare and nintendo kept it afloat. Luckly now due to the change to disc, and easyer to develop on, more developers are making games for GC.

And with GC "renting" out their mascots to other developers, namco for starters, not only do they have a chance to show them how much help they lend to them, what its like creating games for the GC (both of which could push them in favour of making more games just for the GC).

Also with the other western companies that are 2nd party developers for GC being given the chance to make a game that will be stood out and noticed, and if done well mean they become a well known company.

Your right about sega not being as good as rare but you also state about rare releasing a game once every full moon which is right, and i think id rather have 4 above average games instead of 1 good game.

Now the whole microsoft having rare thing. Im let to be thinking of buying the xbox becuase...
1. We are yet to see how well rare can develop on the console.
2. with many of the well know employees of rare leaving does this mean they wont be that good anyway.
3. the rush factor, microsoft want 3 games before next year from them.
4. Will microsoft give them a lot of help, like nintendo, or will they just leave them with a load of cash.
5. With nintendo 64 they were getting good games from nintendo at the same time with their characters being well known, can microsoft have the same success with their characters and rare alone?

What to do with the money, i say that with that they can easily drop the price of the cube and spend money on the internet thing while being ok money wise, incase for some reason they happen to lose money from it, but im sure the software title will bring them profit.

Maybe use the money to buy little companies and invlove them to greatness.
Or just give many good companies, like squaresoft and namco etc which are big names but at the moment seem to have no roots.

Also when is miyamotos 50th birthday?

there you go anothjer long post from boz..sorry.
Sat 19/10/02 at 09:27
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Sega aren't the next Rare. The Gamecube has always had a developer and a company far better than Rare that consistently turns out high quality, original and varied games.

That company would be Nintendo.

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 19/10/02 at 07:50
Regular
"Festivus!"
But really, who else could take Rare's throne? All I am saying is that GC exclusivity would be fantastic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.