GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeloader...wait before you order."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/10/02 at 01:41
Regular
I know some of you dont like advice but im gonna give some anyway (in a freindly and non-anti Freeloader way).

As you know Freeloader isnt out yet and there have been many different release dates given but none have proved to be solid.

My advice is simply to wait until Freeloader is actually released before ordering it, i would actualy recommend waiting a further 7-10 days after its release
so other people can be your personal guinea pig and test the software for bugs etc.

I did read that Datel have experienced alot of problems getting the actual software onto a Gamecube CD (hence the delays) and Nintendo have refused to assist Datel in this problem.

Personally i think its a little unwise to spend vast amounts of money on Import games that you are not 100% certain of being able to play yet, you would be better off waiting a little while to see what develops first.

Im not against Freeloader in any shape or form, infact if it all turns out fine then im buying it too, i just think that instead of spending your money now on something your told 'will work' you would be better off being patient for a little while longer and make sure it 'does work'.

Thx for reading.
Fri 25/10/02 at 01:41
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
I know some of you dont like advice but im gonna give some anyway (in a freindly and non-anti Freeloader way).

As you know Freeloader isnt out yet and there have been many different release dates given but none have proved to be solid.

My advice is simply to wait until Freeloader is actually released before ordering it, i would actualy recommend waiting a further 7-10 days after its release
so other people can be your personal guinea pig and test the software for bugs etc.

I did read that Datel have experienced alot of problems getting the actual software onto a Gamecube CD (hence the delays) and Nintendo have refused to assist Datel in this problem.

Personally i think its a little unwise to spend vast amounts of money on Import games that you are not 100% certain of being able to play yet, you would be better off waiting a little while to see what develops first.

Im not against Freeloader in any shape or form, infact if it all turns out fine then im buying it too, i just think that instead of spending your money now on something your told 'will work' you would be better off being patient for a little while longer and make sure it 'does work'.

Thx for reading.
Fri 25/10/02 at 15:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Too late, ive got 4 games sitiing collecting dust until freeloader is released.
Fri 25/10/02 at 16:06
Didn't Datel take so long to correct errors?
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:08
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Well i heard that they were (and still are) experiencing problems trying to get the data onto a Gamecube CD...

I do hope it all goes well and the Freeloader CD gets released, i also hope it works fine with all games but i do think that anyone who is thinking of pre-ordering the Freeloader or indeed thinking of buying any Import games before its launch is acting a little prematurely.

Waiting until Freeloader gets released and we get see that its all its promised to be makes more sense.
Fri 25/10/02 at 20:21
Regular
I don't think the problem is the GameCube's disc capacity, nor that Nintendo refuse to help. I'm fairly sure it's to do with fixing bugs in the software to make sure it's perfect.

Ask Edgy, he's the knowledge on these things :D.
Fri 25/10/02 at 20:48
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
No its nothing to do with the capacity of the CD.

Heres something i just found which may explain better.

There are rumours going around that the freeloader has been delayed indefinitely. Certain indie shops have been told this by their suppliers.

Apparently Datel have the disk working but cant actually work out how to put in on a GC disk, as Nintendo won't master the disk.

Some sources say that Datel are getting so desperate to break the copy protection they are looking at the mini-dvd discs through microscopes!

More news as it comes in.

Lets hope that Datel sort this problem out.

Just dont buy too many Import games until it is sorted.
Fri 25/10/02 at 20:59
Regular
I'm sure Nintendo are providing full support, if required. It's not exactly going to rival them, so why wouldn't they?
Fri 25/10/02 at 21:04
Regular
I've actually seen the freeloader working off a GameCube on one of the G-force DVDs that comes with the unofficial Nintendo magazine. It's not that they can't figure out how to get the ODs working on the 'Cube, it's just the case of sorting out the bugs like for games that use multi-discs and the such. It's like the N64 import carts that needed updated codes (that were printed in N64 magazine a lot) - I suppose Datel would rather have as many games working as possible.
Fri 25/10/02 at 21:08
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> I'm sure Nintendo are providing full support, if required. It's not
> exactly going to rival them, so why wouldn't they?

Because Nintendo and Datel don't get on - Nintendo wouldn't license Datel, or 'Rocket Games's budget Game Boy Color games, and Nintendo tried to sue Datel, unsuccessfully, over the creation of GameShark/Action Replays.
Fri 25/10/02 at 21:32
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Taken from Goblin Direct: 23/10/2002

"Yes, you did actually read that right. According to Datel, Freeloader will DEFINITELY, 100% be finished and shipping within the next week, which means that in less than two weeks, we should have Freeloader in stock and ready to sell to you, the lucky consumer!"

Hmm, Are they telling the truth or just bluffing?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.