GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why The Getaway is going to be crap..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Sat 26/10/02 at 11:43
Regular
Okay, your all lalala Getaway rules etc. Not me. It looks terrible.
Firstly, it's far too realistic in my view. GTA games are fun because they are fast, but standing on the spot firing one bullet every ten seconds against some Police who are hiding behind cars, phone boxes and old ladies is not fun.
Secondly, it's just too sick. I've seen the screenshot of a dead old woman on the floor, and a young girl with a gun to her head. If it beats Elspa, it will get a lot of bad publicity.
Thirdly, we'll all have GTA Vice and everything will eb right with the world.
Fourthly, the PS2 will really struggle to support all the detail. I don't want a game that stops every half hour.

I'm not getting it.
Sat 26/10/02 at 11:43
Regular
Okay, your all lalala Getaway rules etc. Not me. It looks terrible.
Firstly, it's far too realistic in my view. GTA games are fun because they are fast, but standing on the spot firing one bullet every ten seconds against some Police who are hiding behind cars, phone boxes and old ladies is not fun.
Secondly, it's just too sick. I've seen the screenshot of a dead old woman on the floor, and a young girl with a gun to her head. If it beats Elspa, it will get a lot of bad publicity.
Thirdly, we'll all have GTA Vice and everything will eb right with the world.
Fourthly, the PS2 will really struggle to support all the detail. I don't want a game that stops every half hour.

I'm not getting it.
Sat 26/10/02 at 11:47
Regular
Reading the update in OPS2M I would agree with you about the attention to detail, but this will add to the game and offer a very good alternative to GTA: VC, I feel they will be sufficently different to warrenty buying both.

There is a two level playable demo next month on OPS2M (hopefully) and then we can make up our minds before it is in the shops. I have both on preorder and I am sure I will not be disappointed with either.
Sat 26/10/02 at 12:03
"period drama"
I agree. It's too serious and sick for me.
Who cares what it looks like and how realistic it is. GTA3 was fun because it was a made-up environment with lots of interedting places and humor.
The Getaway has London.
London!
It's the most boring place in the world!
We want to have fun, not drive around going 'Oh look, there's Burger King'

Vice City will rule. It's fun and isn't restircted by a set location.
Go on, get lost Getaway.
No one wants you.
Sat 26/10/02 at 12:58
"High polygon count"
Asher D wrote:
> Okay, your all lalala Getaway rules etc. Not me. It looks terrible.

Looks terrible? You mus**t have sh*t in your eyes! It's looks fantas**tic.

> Firs**tly, it's far too realis**tic in my view. GTA games are fun because
> they are fas**t, but s**tanding on the spot firing one bullet every ten
> seconds

Eh? It looks pretty smooth, fas**t and lovely from what I've seen in the videos. One bullet every 10 seconds? Where on earth did you get that from?

> Secondly, it's jus**t too sick. I've seen the screenshot of a dead old
> woman on the floor, and a young girl with a gun to her head. If it
> beats Elspa, it will get a lot of bad publicity.

Why? It's no more violent than any number of movies that are rated at 15. This game has been designed from the s**tart for an older audience, with an 18 rating always intended.

> Thirdly, we'll all have GTA Vice and everything will eb right with the
> world.

I will be getting both - thanks to SR and GAD - and I expect them to be very different games, both of which I'm sure will be immensely enjoyable.

> Fourthly, the PS2 will really s**truggle to support all the detail. I
> don't want a game that s**tops every half hour.

Again, have you actually seen it running? It's very smooth, and the PS2 handles it jus**t fine. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions, several of which seem to have no basis in fact.
Sat 26/10/02 at 12:58
"High polygon count"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Vice City will rule. It's fun and isn't restircted by a set location.

Why will it not be fun because of a set location? So there's no cartoon violence - but many of us enjoy realistic games.

No maps - watch your cars indicators to see where you need to go. No health bars - watch your character's physical appearance for signs of fatigue and injury. All things to further immerse you in the world, and remove traditional 'game' indicators.

It has similarities to GTA, but it's a very different game, with new ideas and innovations. You should be thanking Sony for making bold moves and trying to do something original, even if you don't want to play the game yourself.

> Go on, get lost Getaway.
> No one wants you.

Wrong. I do. And just as much as GTA:VC.
Sat 26/10/02 at 13:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I can't wait for the Getaway, I think it looks great. I also think it's a completely different game to the GTA series, for one thing I don't think you get money for killing innocent people like you do on GTA3, which kind of makes the whole "it's a sick game" argument pretty redundant.

I don't see what’s wrong with realism as well, if anything it brings the whole gaming world it's set in to life, which I think is very important for games of this type. GTA3 is a great game, but it's just too cartoonish to take seriously. Maybe that's what makes it fun to play I don't know, but I don't think it engrosses me as much as I suspect The Getaway will. Besides, the two Driver games where realistic, set in real city's, with real cars, and had real physics, and I always thought they where fun games to play.

I look forward to getting both the getaway and GTA: Vice City, I think they provide two separate gaming experiences that appeal to me in different ways.
Sat 26/10/02 at 20:59
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Well, to say the game is going to be crap is taking it too far! I haven't read too much into the game, but I remember reading somewhere that The Getaway has had millions spent on it, and could be a record? Any truth behind this?

Also, is the main storyline basically taking on the role of a character in search for his missing child?
Sat 26/10/02 at 21:07
Regular
magazines first said it was gonna be great, then they said it was gonna be crap, and now they say its gonna be amazing, if they can't make their minds up having been so close to it, i'm sure we can't either.
Sat 26/10/02 at 21:09
Regular
"Sturb du sweine"
it sounds quite good but not amazing soo.it just depends wat u like
Sat 26/10/02 at 21:13
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Asher D wrote:
> Okay, your all lalala Getaway rules etc. Not me. It looks terrible.
> Firstly, it's far too realistic in my view. GTA games are fun because
> they are fast, but standing on the spot firing one bullet every ten
> seconds against some Police who are hiding behind cars, phone boxes
> and old ladies is not fun.
> Secondly, it's just too sick. I've seen the screenshot of a dead old
> woman on the floor, and a young girl with a gun to her head. If it
> beats Elspa, it will get a lot of bad publicity.
> Thirdly, we'll all have GTA Vice and everything will eb right with the
> world.
> Fourthly, the PS2 will really struggle to support all the detail. I
> don't want a game that stops every half hour.
>
> I'm not getting it.

I think you are being far too hasty. This is a nice way of saying What the f**k are you on.
Firstly, the realism is a bonus, it makes you get into thegame more, also the 'gore', you said was disgusting. Oh come on, how old are you?
Finally, why would they make a game that the platform couldn't handle?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.