GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Veron - Is it time to face facts?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/03/02 at 18:22
Regular
Even the most staunch of Manchester Utd fans will be hard pushed to say that Juan Sebastian Veron has been anything but a disappointment this season. For years United fans bemoaned the fact that the board never released the money for transfers, and the clubs strict wage structure always seemed to put the worlds greatest players out of reach. However, last seasons disappointment in the Champion League and Keane’s lucrative new contract meant that for the first time the board put shareholders concerned to one side and splashed the cash.

In came Ruud van Nistelrooy for £19m, a move that has bean an overwhelming success. But at the time of purchase he was still a relatively unknown quantity. To most United fans and football fans of the Premiership in general, the big news was that Argentine superstar Juan Sebastian Veron was to join the club for a British record transfer fee, a reported £28m. To most fans it was a sign that Ferguson and hismen were ready to compete with the world’s biggest clubs not only on the field but off it as well. And for the first few weeks of the season, Utd fans believed that they had found the new Cantona.

Performances against Everton stand out particular. Veron ran the show, delighting the fans with exhibits of skill and poise. All that was needed were repeat performances against Arsenal and Liverpool and it would seem that the title would once again be headed to Old Trafford. But it didn’t happen. Veron was like a ghost, flitting in and out of games, showing none of the silky skills he had displayed against the lesser opposition. But that was just the start of the problem. To accomodate Veron, Ferguson had tinkered with arguably the best midfield in Europe - Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs. Scholes was pushed into an unfamiliar role and subsequently suffered an alarming dip in form. Unfortunately, what had seemed like a dream start for Veron and United was turning into a nightmare as they plummeted down the table.

Just when things looked like they could not get any worse, reports filtered from Italy of Lazio being interested in taking back their mercurial star. With United and Veron reaching an all time low in terms of form, a move back didn’t seem as far fetched as first seemed. Adding to that were persistent rumours that Veron had a dressing room rift with David Beckham and the dream move was turning slightly sour.

So that’s the history up to this point. Now I will make my point – I think Veron has been awful this season, and I’m a Manchester Utd fan. I know people will say ‘you’ve got to give him time to settle’, but as an established performer in European leagues he should have at least found some semblance of form by now. It seems that people are scared to acknowledge that fact, especially Alex Ferguson, because of the sheer amount of money spent on him. If other managers had done it, they would have been pilloried by fans and press alike by now.

So what next for the man they call ‘Seba’? Unfortunately, his poor form has hindered the performances of a man who I consider to be superior to him – Paul Scholes. Brilliant against West Ham, he was dropped against Middlesbrough, and United lost thanks to a mistake from a United player. Any guesses – yep, it was Veron.

This summer is the key. If Arsenal or Liverpool go on to take the title, then so be it. If Veron however goes on to have a blinding World Cup, then serious questions have to be posed. If he can handle games on the biggest stage of all, then why not the big games against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool etc. Ferguson, do the right thing and sell Veron, put the world’s best midfield quartet back together and sign another defender.

What do you lot think?

Thanks for reading

RM18
Fri 29/03/02 at 19:14
Regular
Yeah I meant Argentina

sorry
Thu 28/03/02 at 23:24
Regular
You talking about Veron's game for Argentina last night right? Just that you said United twice there...
Thu 28/03/02 at 20:09
Regular
Typical - just read the papers - seems Veron turned out another excellent performance for United a few days after ANOTHER sustandard United one. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Veron, in fact I'd like him to prove me wrong and start putting in some match winning performances
Wed 27/03/02 at 17:38
Regular
"Long time no see!"
That's a good point. There are probably quite a few players who you could talk about in the same way.
Wed 27/03/02 at 00:12
Regular
Remember where Veron has come from and remember it may take time for him to adjust.

Was Pires the player he is this season last season?

Give Veron another season before he is judged properly. WIth Veron in the midfield United can be the best in the world.

Blanc will be gone in the summer. We will definitley bring in a new defender. Ayala, Nesta...Hoffland whoever...That should patch up what is definitely one of our biggest cracks.

The season isnt over just yet. We still have the champions league and Veron could figure a huge part in that...Maybe use Scholes for all the premiership games...Veron for champs league.
Tue 26/03/02 at 19:02
Regular
As a Manchester Utd fan, I too have faith in Ferguson to sort out the situation. However, I think that many fans are now scared to criticise Ferguson because of what he has achieved. Don't be too surprised to se Veron heading back to Italy - whilst it may not be public acknowledgment of a mistake, it will be indication enough that Ferguson knows he blundered in signing Veron, especially for the inflated transfer fee
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:44
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'll start off by saying that he was a waste of money because we didn't need him! Not because he was too expensive or has been playing badly.

If you look at his records from previous clubs then you'll see how great a player he reall is.
Even though you don't agree, I still think he needs a but more time to get nearer his best.
The Italian league is completely different to the Premiership. At Lazio and Parma he was virtually 'allowed' to show his world class talent. But the premiership is much tougher and more competitive, making it harder for a player who's had it wasy to settle in.

I don't reckon there has been a bust-up between Beckham and Veron, but do agree strongly that his arrival has effected the midfield and the formation of United this season - casuing erratic form. And with this un-expected erratic form, it's been even harder for Juan-Seba to adjust.

Just give him a bit more time - have faith in SIR Alex.
And if we get good runs of good form, Veron will find his feet as a great player again!
Tue 26/03/02 at 18:22
Regular
Even the most staunch of Manchester Utd fans will be hard pushed to say that Juan Sebastian Veron has been anything but a disappointment this season. For years United fans bemoaned the fact that the board never released the money for transfers, and the clubs strict wage structure always seemed to put the worlds greatest players out of reach. However, last seasons disappointment in the Champion League and Keane’s lucrative new contract meant that for the first time the board put shareholders concerned to one side and splashed the cash.

In came Ruud van Nistelrooy for £19m, a move that has bean an overwhelming success. But at the time of purchase he was still a relatively unknown quantity. To most United fans and football fans of the Premiership in general, the big news was that Argentine superstar Juan Sebastian Veron was to join the club for a British record transfer fee, a reported £28m. To most fans it was a sign that Ferguson and hismen were ready to compete with the world’s biggest clubs not only on the field but off it as well. And for the first few weeks of the season, Utd fans believed that they had found the new Cantona.

Performances against Everton stand out particular. Veron ran the show, delighting the fans with exhibits of skill and poise. All that was needed were repeat performances against Arsenal and Liverpool and it would seem that the title would once again be headed to Old Trafford. But it didn’t happen. Veron was like a ghost, flitting in and out of games, showing none of the silky skills he had displayed against the lesser opposition. But that was just the start of the problem. To accomodate Veron, Ferguson had tinkered with arguably the best midfield in Europe - Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs. Scholes was pushed into an unfamiliar role and subsequently suffered an alarming dip in form. Unfortunately, what had seemed like a dream start for Veron and United was turning into a nightmare as they plummeted down the table.

Just when things looked like they could not get any worse, reports filtered from Italy of Lazio being interested in taking back their mercurial star. With United and Veron reaching an all time low in terms of form, a move back didn’t seem as far fetched as first seemed. Adding to that were persistent rumours that Veron had a dressing room rift with David Beckham and the dream move was turning slightly sour.

So that’s the history up to this point. Now I will make my point – I think Veron has been awful this season, and I’m a Manchester Utd fan. I know people will say ‘you’ve got to give him time to settle’, but as an established performer in European leagues he should have at least found some semblance of form by now. It seems that people are scared to acknowledge that fact, especially Alex Ferguson, because of the sheer amount of money spent on him. If other managers had done it, they would have been pilloried by fans and press alike by now.

So what next for the man they call ‘Seba’? Unfortunately, his poor form has hindered the performances of a man who I consider to be superior to him – Paul Scholes. Brilliant against West Ham, he was dropped against Middlesbrough, and United lost thanks to a mistake from a United player. Any guesses – yep, it was Veron.

This summer is the key. If Arsenal or Liverpool go on to take the title, then so be it. If Veron however goes on to have a blinding World Cup, then serious questions have to be posed. If he can handle games on the biggest stage of all, then why not the big games against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool etc. Ferguson, do the right thing and sell Veron, put the world’s best midfield quartet back together and sign another defender.

What do you lot think?

Thanks for reading

RM18

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.