GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Veron - Is it time to face facts?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/03/02 at 18:22
Regular
Even the most staunch of Manchester Utd fans will be hard pushed to say that Juan Sebastian Veron has been anything but a disappointment this season. For years United fans bemoaned the fact that the board never released the money for transfers, and the clubs strict wage structure always seemed to put the worlds greatest players out of reach. However, last seasons disappointment in the Champion League and Keane’s lucrative new contract meant that for the first time the board put shareholders concerned to one side and splashed the cash.

In came Ruud van Nistelrooy for £19m, a move that has bean an overwhelming success. But at the time of purchase he was still a relatively unknown quantity. To most United fans and football fans of the Premiership in general, the big news was that Argentine superstar Juan Sebastian Veron was to join the club for a British record transfer fee, a reported £28m. To most fans it was a sign that Ferguson and hismen were ready to compete with the world’s biggest clubs not only on the field but off it as well. And for the first few weeks of the season, Utd fans believed that they had found the new Cantona.

Performances against Everton stand out particular. Veron ran the show, delighting the fans with exhibits of skill and poise. All that was needed were repeat performances against Arsenal and Liverpool and it would seem that the title would once again be headed to Old Trafford. But it didn’t happen. Veron was like a ghost, flitting in and out of games, showing none of the silky skills he had displayed against the lesser opposition. But that was just the start of the problem. To accomodate Veron, Ferguson had tinkered with arguably the best midfield in Europe - Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs. Scholes was pushed into an unfamiliar role and subsequently suffered an alarming dip in form. Unfortunately, what had seemed like a dream start for Veron and United was turning into a nightmare as they plummeted down the table.

Just when things looked like they could not get any worse, reports filtered from Italy of Lazio being interested in taking back their mercurial star. With United and Veron reaching an all time low in terms of form, a move back didn’t seem as far fetched as first seemed. Adding to that were persistent rumours that Veron had a dressing room rift with David Beckham and the dream move was turning slightly sour.

So that’s the history up to this point. Now I will make my point – I think Veron has been awful this season, and I’m a Manchester Utd fan. I know people will say ‘you’ve got to give him time to settle’, but as an established performer in European leagues he should have at least found some semblance of form by now. It seems that people are scared to acknowledge that fact, especially Alex Ferguson, because of the sheer amount of money spent on him. If other managers had done it, they would have been pilloried by fans and press alike by now.

So what next for the man they call ‘Seba’? Unfortunately, his poor form has hindered the performances of a man who I consider to be superior to him – Paul Scholes. Brilliant against West Ham, he was dropped against Middlesbrough, and United lost thanks to a mistake from a United player. Any guesses – yep, it was Veron.

This summer is the key. If Arsenal or Liverpool go on to take the title, then so be it. If Veron however goes on to have a blinding World Cup, then serious questions have to be posed. If he can handle games on the biggest stage of all, then why not the big games against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool etc. Ferguson, do the right thing and sell Veron, put the world’s best midfield quartet back together and sign another defender.

What do you lot think?

Thanks for reading

RM18
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:21
Regular
just reading some stats in "the mirror" today...Apparently we have lost half of our games in which Veron has played...while we have won 91% of the games in which Veron has not played in...
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Heh, and what did I say earlier... ;D
Thu 11/04/02 at 09:17
Regular
"not dead"
One swallow doesn't make a Summer, I believe they say.

It was great to see him playing so well, but we're really going to need some consistency from in the these last few weeks of the season if we're to win anything.
Thu 11/04/02 at 06:59
Regular
My opinion has changed slightly, but one good game isn't worth £28.1m...
Wed 10/04/02 at 22:30
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Well, yes it is time to face the facts-Veron is a world class talent and Man U should not let him go...Tonights performance totally changed my opinion about him. I never said anything bad about him, because I know what a player he really is. In fact today we were having an argument about football-and people were saying stuff about Veron being a flop and Scholes not being a world class player. Obviously they dont know much about football
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:08
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Only 60 minutes have gone as I write this, but Veron's not had a bad game at all. He's done a good solid job. Whether he's worth having for £28 million, i'm still not sure. I feel team selection is so much easier if he's not in the running.
Wed 10/04/02 at 18:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
He should be starting tonight, how will he effect our chances??

Honestly, I think he'll play very well and have a great game! And he may even score a goal or two, while also proving that he can cover for Beckham and co. as the season draws to a close.
Tue 09/04/02 at 00:51
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
28M and he has cost us a lot of money, he also loses possesion a lot hence the boro game, but I have belief in him, give him time he may need a season to blend into the english style of football

as a whole don't you think the the team has not performed to its peak?

too many silly mistakes at the back has cost us dearly, we need to patch things up, the defence still looks dodgy to me, we need to leak less goals,

the problem in in the defence not in the midfield.

Veron is a class player who will come good, we have seen it in against a few teams this season, the spurs game comes to mind.

we dont have a problem in midfield, its the the rear guard thats not good enough, we also need to defend as a team rather than a few player wondering back when they feel like it.
Sat 06/04/02 at 23:04
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
For £28 million I don't think that judgement can be made just yet.

I think ideally if Man U could keep him for another season, they could then decide whether or not he should stay with them long-term.

Obviously, in that instance the chances of them getting a good percentage of their money back are slim, so it's a tough choice to make.
Thu 04/04/02 at 12:47
I'll agree with you that Veron has been the worst signing this season, however, the papers do focus on him, think of all the mistakes Blanc's made and he doesnt get half as much critisism as Veron. Ok so Veron cost considarably more than Blanc there profesionals and should do there job.

I agree that Veron should be sold so that they can buy a replacement for Blanc as he is retiering at the end of the season. If they can get 20million for him it would probobly be enough to buy somone with the quality of Turam.

In the Man U-Bolton game I watched Veron on player cam for most of the second half, he probobly touched the ball 5 to 6 times. 6 times!!!!! If thats the quality we can expect from players that cost 28 million then whats the point, and now with Beckham injured, Keane injured and Veron coming back from injury do they a chance of winning the title?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.