GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo fined for price fixing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/10/02 at 13:27
Regular
Taken from bbc.co.uk

"Nintendo has been fined 146m euros (£92.1m) by the European Commission for trying to rig the computer game market.
The firm has been, with seven distributors, found guilty by commission anti-trust officials of attempting to keep prices artificially high in some EU states between 1991 and 1998.

The severity of the fine, the fourth highest ever meted out by commission trade watchdogs for a single offence, reflected Nintendo's role as "the driving force behind the illicit behaviour", the commission said.

The distributors, including Scotland-based John Menzies, were fined 21m euros.

Appeal:

But Nintendo said it would fight the penalty.

"In view of the size of the fine, which Nintendo finds surprising, Nintendo will lodge an appeal," the company said.

While accepting that it had broken EU rules, the firm said it had reformed its practices.

John Menzies, which said its fine of £5.4m was "totally disproportionate", said it was considering legal options.

The firm was implicated through its THE Games unit between 1995 and 1997.

"We feel that the commission has not fully recognised... [its] earlier acceptance that this was a mistake, not a deliberate transgression; that THE Games was more victim than villain," Menzies chief executive, David Mackay said.

Price differences:

The fines follow a two-year probe by the commission into claims that Nintendo prevented distributors from selling goods from low-cost countries in states where prices were higher.

Prices of Nintendo products were up to 65% higher in Germany or the Netherlands than in Britain.

"Every year, millions of European families spend large amounts of money on video games," Competition Commissioner Mario Monti said.

"They have the right to buy the games and consoles at the lowest price the market can possibly offer.

"We will not tolerate... behaviour intended to keep prices artificially high in the European single market.""

Discuss.
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:01
Regular
No, it's a case of people not wanting to be bothered with replying to yours and Techno freaks constant crap. Have you ntohign better to do than attempt to start console wars?

If you're so happy with your PS2 then that's great, everyone else is happy with their consoles and your annoying crap is not gonna change their minds, it's just gonna make people on the forums think that you're even bigger idiots.
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:12
Regular
No Gamecube 2? WTF?
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:19
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Its on bbc1 AT THIS VERY MOMENT>
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:20
Regular
"ProGolfer"
RM18 wrote:
> No Gamecube 2? WTF?

Where have you been?
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
So if this huge fine sticks to nintendo and its distributors, will the European commission be pocketing all of the fines?
Its all well and good the commission saying that prices were artificially high all those years ago, but it doesn't help all those "european" families who spent too much on those products.
Idea for the european commision....
ask for the fines in games then redistribute them.

not likely to happen is it.
just going to go to the bank accounts of the commision.
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:40
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
What Britains one of the cheaper countries??? Not by much, my guess is that we pay just as much for our games as the Germans although its probably not all Nintendos fault, the Governments high taxes are to blame.

Seeing as Nintendo has ripped us all off, when will our cheque come in the post. Surely the gamers should benefit from this ?????

Now all we need is proof that Sony and Microsoft do the same.

Although to be honest game prices have dropped considerably this last year, not quite as cheap as in the U.S. but getting there.

Personally I believe the E.U. should act to force the Big 3 to stop restricting there consoles to only play games from one region, its anti-competative and laughs in the face of free trade, does anyone else agree, or disagree with me?

Jimmy
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I would agree that games were expensive during the SNES/N64 era, i cant think what the prices must have been in germany and the like, but there was nobody twisting anyones arm to buy the products.
Wed 30/10/02 at 19:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Jimmy D wrote:
> Personally I believe the E.U. should act to force the Big 3 to stop
> restricting there consoles to only play games from one region, its
> anti-competative and laughs in the face of free trade, does anyone
> else agree, or disagree with me?
>
> Jimmy

Yes i would agree with that, this whole region fixing is just nonsence.
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:25
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Glad Im not the only one who holds that view. Besides which it may actually be a benefit for a console company to remove the region coding from there machines.. just look at what happened to Sony in Australia where its now legal to chip a PS2. If the chippers didnt have the excuse that these chips were just allowing the machines to play games from other regions then their case wouldnt have been as strong. It would probably increase the sales of a console and its games.
Thu 31/10/02 at 16:31
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Jimmy D wrote:
> Personally I believe the E.U. should act to force the Big 3 to stop
> restricting there consoles to only play games from one region, its
> anti-competative and laughs in the face of free trade, does anyone
> else agree, or disagree with me?
>

That is a very valid point and the reason the games and film industry want it that way is so that people cannot get cheaper games in regions like the states, it stinks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.