GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo fined for Price Fixing!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/10/02 at 21:30
Regular
That's right. Apparently, during the period 1991 to 1998, Nintendo kept prices artifically high, and have now been fined £92.1m. That's the Eternal Darkness marketing budget gone. See the full story at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/ business/2375967.stm
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:30
That's right. Apparently, during the period 1991 to 1998, Nintendo kept prices artifically high, and have now been fined £92.1m. That's the Eternal Darkness marketing budget gone. See the full story at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/ business/2375967.stm
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:36
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
cor! what a bummer. wot do you mean by price fixing? they kept the prices too high or sumin?
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:39
Regular
I saw this on Newsround. Nintendo are appealing against the amount of the fine.

I don't see what the fuss is about.

SNES wasn't over-priced, and the games were around £40, which considering their cartridges isn't bad.

The N64 was no more expensive at launch than both playstations have been and the X-box.

Some N64 games were ridiculously high (£70 for Turok!) but that can't have been Nintendo's fault entirely, seeing as Acclaim charged £70, but other companies were charging £40-50.
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:42
From a business point of view, the firm can charge whatever they like. I see no problem with this; after all, it's not like playing games is absolutely essential in life, like water or electricity - the customer doesn't have to buy it, do they?
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:45
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
DeltaJava wrote:
> From a business point of view, the firm can charge whatever they like.
> I see no problem with this; after all, it's not like playing games is
> absolutely essential in life, like water or electricity - the customer
> doesn't have to buy it, do they?

So you wouldn't be even slightly miffed if Nintendo decided they wanted to sell their consoles for £500, and their games at £150 each?

I bet you wouldn't say that then.
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:51
Regular
Tóm wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
> From a business point of view, the firm can charge whatever they
> like.
> I see no problem with this; after all, it's not like playing games
> is
> absolutely essential in life, like water or electricity - the
> customer
> doesn't have to buy it, do they?
> ****
> So you wouldn't be even slightly miffed if Nintendo decided they
> wanted to sell their consoles for £500, and their games at
> £150 each?
>
> I bet you wouldn't say that then.

Well of course we'd be pi*sed off, but surely Nintendo are fully in their rights to do so. It's our choice wether we choose to buy it after all.

The amount of products ridiculously overpriced today is high, I don't see them getting sued.
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:52
Tóm wrote:
> So you wouldn't be even slightly miffed if Nintendo decided they
> wanted to sell their consoles for £500, and their games at
> £150 each?
>
> I bet you wouldn't say that then.

Of course I'd be miffed. But then (from the business point of view again) have to take into consideration whether anyone would buy it at that price. That's why Microsoft are so successful (software-wise) - Windows XP and Office XP are the best by far in their fields, so they can comfortably up the price. On the other hand, no-one has to buy the software, as there are alternatives.
Wed 30/10/02 at 21:52
Regular
I believe that the accusation is that the company has refused to allow retailers to change the price that they are selling at, whatever they believe is a fair price based upon supply, demand, trade cost and so on. Of course, they can charge whatever they like, but legally they're not allowed to tell shops that they cannot sell it below a certain price.
Thu 31/10/02 at 11:27
Regular
DeltaJava wrote:
> From a business point of view, the firm can charge whatever they like.

i think it was like someone said that they wouldnt let the shop drop the price, but i also heard that britian was paying more money than they should cause of it going to a high priced company, and the rest of europe pay even more.
Also they wouldnt let the snes be sold unless they put the price of the N64 up.
Thu 31/10/02 at 11:30
Regular
"Balls"
well said, any way they must be gutted

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.